Notices

Work related!!!!!

Old 10-28-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work related!!!!!

Hi everyone..... I don’t post often and have been connected with this site for two years .. In that time since I fell off the wagon and recently regained consciousness no pun intended July of this year. I’m currently 114 days sober and I want to remain sober for the rest of my life!!!!!!! However, I have been out injured from work since March and have made significant changes in my life for the good including my sobriety. It’s like not being at work and dealing with the stress of work has allowed me to focus on getting myself together.. I have to say this and don’t like talking about what I do for a living but...... I’m a Police Officer and have been for 15 years and alcohol has been apart of it my whole career.......

What I’m trying to say guys is I’m finally going to therapy for my anxiety and depression and all of it. The thing that I’m afraid of is when I go back to a high level stressful every night situation unimaginable for some is how to combat these challenges I really am nervous as I don’t want to go back to my old ways... I’m putting together whole plans to deal with this.. I don’t know how I made this long.. oh wait alcohol.. but that’s off the table so I gotta figure this thing out for the long term because I’m not even close to retirement and even then... I don’t know.... like I said I’m in therapy weekly and doing everything I can for a better and healthier life. This site does help it really does.

I think my biggest challenge is not to get complacent because I know with my rigorous schedule with this job it’s easy to lose track... Does anyone have any advice although deep down I know how I have to proceed even with mental health issues involved..Sorry for rambling... you guys are great 👍
Thanks for listening and I’m going to keep fighting as hard as I can.. my life literally depends on it 🙂
Old 10-28-2018, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Lori.

i’m a nurse in the United States. My job has really been terrible since we got a new manager last November. Then my hospital moved into a new space in March, and the whole delivery of care has changed from my department.

I have been drinking fairly heavily for 20 years but most alcoholically for the last 3 1/2… At least a bottle of wine every day if not a bottle of wine and five or six hard drinks.

I’m just a little bit longer in my days than you at this point just at five months. Sometimes, it is a minute at a time. And I realize that my feelings do come and go.

there is a member here named Nez. I copied a post that they made from early May of this year. And I don’t remember exactly, but the words of wisdom included

“remember to leave the front door and the back door open to your feelings. Let them come in the front door, but don’t serve them Tea, show them the back door so they don’t stay too long.”

So I do understand about being in public service, and how we might need to be very careful about revealing our anonymity. That is why the site is so wonderful. I do not do AA in person.

I take walks, I drink water, I take showers, and I go to the gym.

But most of all I read and I read and I read and I read on this site. I read all of the different forums. I read from families and friends of alcoholics, to opiate use forums, to the newcomers to recovery threads.

I cannot tell you what will work for you, but I just know that 150 something days that I am, it is absolutely a spit in time compared to the time that I have been drinking. So I’m assuming it will at least take a couple years for me to get comfortable with it

I think also Laurie that sometimes our fear of the unknown is worse than the actuality of it. Are you worried about social functions with your peers? Or other alcohol related comments?
Old 10-28-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate. I had a highly stressful job and was injured that knocked me out of it for good.
That's when I really started drinking heavily. Seems our situations are reversed.
Thanks for your service as an Officer. I can't even imagine the stress in that line of work.
I grew up with friends whose fathers where Police Officers. And they all drank heavily.
I'm glad you're going to therapy. So am I. It helps. I just couldn't handle all that free time on my hands, so good for you for not using that as an excuse to drink.

114 days is great! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I couldn't imagine the stress with your job. It would drive me to drink, too, I'm sure.
You're doing great! Just wanted to offer my support.
And remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Hi Lori.

i’m a nurse in the United States. My job has really been terrible since we got a new manager last November. Then my hospital moved into a new space in March, and the whole delivery of care has changed from my department.

I have been drinking fairly heavily for 20 years but most alcoholically for the last 3 1/2… At least a bottle of wine every day if not a bottle of wine and five or six hard drinks.

I’m just a little bit longer in my days than you at this point just at five months. Sometimes, it is a minute at a time. And I realize that my feelings do come and go.

there is a member here named Nez. I copied a post that they made from early May of this year. And I don’t remember exactly, but the words of wisdom included

“remember to leave the front door and the back door open to your feelings. Let them come in the front door, but don’t serve them Tea, show them the back door so they don’t stay too long.”

So I do understand about being in public service, and how we might need to be very careful about revealing our anonymity. That is why the site is so wonderful. I do not do AA in person.

I take walks, I drink water, I take showers, and I go to the gym.

But most of all I read and I read and I read and I read on this site. I read all of the different forums. I read from families and friends of alcoholics, to opiate use forums, to the newcomers to recovery threads.

I cannot tell you what will work for you, but I just know that 150 something days that I am, it is absolutely a spit in time compared to the time that I have been drinking. So I’m assuming it will at least take a couple years for me to get comfortable with it

I think also Laurie that sometimes our fear of the unknown is worse than the actuality of it. Are you worried about social functions with your peers? Or other alcohol related comments?
Hi and thx for responding..... I stop going out with my co workers at social functions a few years ago.... I’ve learned my lesson with that lol... just led to trouble...

As far as alcohol is concerned, this affliction for me I really feel has gotten worse since I’ve been a cop 👮*♀️. I work the overnight shift so that doesn’t help not to mention my whole life is consumed with this job.. I think that’s why I used alcohol to make me feel better.. I gotta figure this out though with the upmost determination.. I have no choice.. like I said I’m trying to put together whole plans for when I go back to the hell .. sorry.. but just how I feel🙁
Old 10-28-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I can relate. I had a highly stressful job and was injured that knocked me out of it for good.
That's when I really started drinking heavily. Seems our situations are reversed.
Thanks for your service as an Officer. I can't even imagine the stress in that line of work.
I grew up with friends whose fathers where Police Officers. And they all drank heavily.
I'm glad you're going to therapy. So am I. It helps. I just couldn't handle all that free time on my hands, so good for you for not using that as an excuse to drink.

114 days is great! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I couldn't imagine the stress with your job. It would drive me to drink, too, I'm sure.
You're doing great! Just wanted to offer my support.
And remember, you never have to drink again.
Thx Ghost... now u see what I’m feeling.. I wonder if there is a site for recovering alcoholic Police and other first responders... I’m going to be researching and see as well as stay on this site as well.... any and everything thing that will help me maintain.... Thx doll 😊
Old 10-28-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're very welcome.
Yes, I can understand a little how you're feeling. Even with growing up with police and just living in a big city, I really can't imagine the stress involved with being an officer. That has to be one of the hardest jobs there is, and you have my utmost respect.
Good idea seeking other resources. There should be AA meetings just for first responders.
Best to you.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Lori, and thank you for the great share. Like you, I had a highly stressful job that put a lot of pressure on me, though nothing like that what you must have faced in your line of work. Thank you for your service to a community, BTW.

Going into my job, I was already a practicing alcoholic, and my work put me in a position of being very isolated both from friends and family and from my own feelings. Drinking alone was very easy, and I got away with a lot along the way but not forever. I had opportunities to address my problems but, unlike you, I didn't until it was too late, and still I was entangled by the pressures of work and undiagnosed, untreated mental health issues beyond just the alcohol. In the end I adjusted my life and my work to allow me to focus on my recovery now.

Your situation with time off recently to take charge of your problems and to engage in recovery may provide you the chance to be successful where I was not. I think the idea of seeking out resources that would provide for your anonymity and need to abstain that are geared toward your profession is a great idea. Therapy for your anxiety and depression is also an excellent pursuit. You are doing some great things, and I wish you the best in your recovery and in your career.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
Hi, Lori, and thank you for the great share. Like you, I had a highly stressful job that put a lot of pressure on me, though nothing like that what you must have faced in your line of work. Thank you for your service to a community, BTW.

Going into my job, I was already a practicing alcoholic, and my work put me in a position of being very isolated both from friends and family and from my own feelings. Drinking alone was very easy, and I got away with a lot along the way but not forever. I had opportunities to address my problems but, unlike you, I didn't until it was too late, and still I was entangled by the pressures of work and undiagnosed, untreated mental health issues beyond just the alcohol. In the end I adjusted my life and my work to allow me to focus on my recovery now.

Your situation with time off recently to take charge of your problems and to engage in recovery may provide you the chance to be successful where I was not. I think the idea of seeking out resources that would provide for your anonymity and need to abstain that are geared toward your profession is a great idea. Therapy for your anxiety and depression is also an excellent pursuit. You are doing some great things, and I wish you the best in your recovery and in your career.
Hi Guener, thx so much... we need all the support we can get and coming here is helping me stay the course... words of wisdom from you thx and I am glad to be apart of this community..🙂
Old 10-29-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorie1482 View Post
like I said I’m trying to put together whole plans for when I go back to the hell .. sorry.. but just how I feel��[/left]
Hi Lorie. I'm not an alcoholic but in reading your thread it got me thinking. If your job is "hell" to you, might you perhaps look for a different line of work?

I'm not a police officer, I've never even known one! What I do know is that I could never be one. It just wouldn't suit me, I wouldn't deal well with that type of stress. All jobs/careers are stressful to greater or lessor degrees (of course) however for me, that job would be too stressful because of the way I am and the situations I would encounter, just not suited.

Are there other careers you have pondered that you might be happier in? You perhaps went in to this career wanting to help others (which I am sure you do) but with what is probably a great work record and your training, perhaps there are other jobs where you can help people but not encounter the types of situations you do now. Perhaps something like social work or being a counsellor or safety instruction for women. I don't know, just thought I'd throw that out there. Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a similar problem. High-stress job but have only ever worked full-time for one year of my life...because I can’t take the stress of a full-time stressful job and life. I have relapsed every time my job became unbearable i.e. being scheduled too much, working too many hours in a day, the actual job being a nightmare, migraines out of control, insomnia. And by “too much” I mean full-time.

I physically and mentally cannot work full-time with the conditions I have—migraine, insomnia, depression and anxiety and of course chronic alcoholism, currently recovering...again. And being a single parent of a pre-schooler.

i don’t know what I’m gonna do, I have outrageous debt from this lifestyle of working part-time.

Is there such a thing as partial disability? I can’t afford life at the pace I am working. But I can afford relapse even less. I still want to work!

I make decent wages. If I picked another career, I wouldn’t make nearly as much. So back to unaffordability of life.

Sorry I have no advice You are on the right path. Sobriety must be our first priority hands-down because without that, we truly have nothing.

Thanks for this. Hugs.

PS. I am in therapy as well as AA and working with a sponsor, which are helpful but also cut into my working hours.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Hi Lorie. I'm not an alcoholic but in reading your thread it got me thinking. If your job is "hell" to you, might you perhaps look for a different line of work?

I'm not a police officer, I've never even known one! What I do know is that I could never be one. It just wouldn't suit me, I wouldn't deal well with that type of stress. All jobs/careers are stressful to greater or lessor degrees (of course) however for me, that job would be too stressful because of the way I am and the situations I would encounter, just not suited.

Are there other careers you have pondered that you might be happier in? You perhaps went in to this career wanting to help others (which I am sure you do) but with what is probably a great work record and your training, perhaps there are other jobs where you can help people but not encounter the types of situations you do now. Perhaps something like social work or being a counsellor or safety instruction for women. I don't know, just thought I'd throw that out there. Congratulations on your sobriety!
Thx for your response... easier said than done about career change... I have to much time vested at this point in my time with this job so unfortunately I have deal with ya know..... I am at some point look at alternatives within the department maybe work inside which is hard to get nonetheless I’m steadfast in positive changes going forth.... I’ll work it out somehow.. thx
Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LunaBlue View Post
I have a similar problem. High-stress job but have only ever worked full-time for one year of my life...because I can’t take the stress of a full-time stressful job and life. I have relapsed every time my job became unbearable i.e. being scheduled too much, working too many hours in a day, the actual job being a nightmare, migraines out of control, insomnia. And by “too much” I mean full-time.

I physically and mentally cannot work full-time with the conditions I have—migraine, insomnia, depression and anxiety and of course chronic alcoholism, currently recovering...again. And being a single parent of a pre-schooler.

i don’t know what I’m gonna do, I have outrageous debt from this lifestyle of working part-time.

Is there such a thing as partial disability? I can’t afford life at the pace I am working. But I can afford relapse even less. I still want to work!

I make decent wages. If I picked another career, I wouldn’t make nearly as much. So back to unaffordability of life.

Sorry I have no advice You are on the right path. Sobriety must be our first priority hands-down because without that, we truly have nothing.

Thanks for this. Hugs. I hope the best for you and hopefully you can get established somewhere and be able to take care of your finances going forth.. actually u will in time get it together... don’t worry to much just do what you can is all... half the battle is already won with our being here on this encouraging site...... we’re here to hep each other so hold on to that I know I am... thx again 🙂

PS. I am in therapy as well as AA and working with a sponsor, which are helpful but also cut into my working hours.
thx for the hugs 🤗....
Old 10-29-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lorie, accolades to you for your service. Being a police officer is risk every.single.day. It is made doubly more difficult when your shifts are long, and add working a night shift on top of that. I can see why alcohol could help someone like you "relax" or "come down" and try and get good sleep (with adrenaline pumping, thoughts churning, the mind is hard to switch off). Perhaps you can request a shift change to try, not knowing what your seniority or bid system is, but maybe your doctor can make a recommendation on your behalf? That being said, I hope for your sake you can transition back with a toolbox of alternatives to relaxing. Blackout curtains, white noise, meditation CD's, a post-work workout, swimming or hot tub, sauna. There are many things to try to help with the anxiety I'm sure comes with the job. Good luck, and congrats on a long sober span! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-29-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
Lorie, accolades to you for your service. Being a police officer is risk every.single.day. It is made doubly more difficult when your shifts are long, and add working a night shift on top of that. I can see why alcohol could help someone like you "relax" or "come down" and try and get good sleep (with adrenaline pumping, thoughts churning, the mind is hard to switch off). Perhaps you can request a shift change to try, not knowing what your seniority or bid system is, but maybe your doctor can make a recommendation on your behalf? That being said, I hope for your sake you can transition back with a toolbox of alternatives to relaxing. Blackout curtains, white noise, meditation CD's, a post-work workout, swimming or hot tub, sauna. There are many things to try to help with the anxiety I'm sure comes with the job. Good luck, and congrats on a long sober span! Keep up the good work!
Thx so much for your reply.... my shift is either work overnight or work two weeks of 8 to 4 and then two weeks of 4 to 12 back and forth... not a whole lot of options unfortunately but I do appreciate your suggestions for destressing after work... I just have to take one day at a time and stay strong and positive... Again thank you 😊
Old 10-30-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am also in a stressful job. I work per diem because honestly I can't take any more than that. I just can't. My stress tolerance is low, it's as simple as that. I'm paid enough to make it on my own without my husband's salary because I found a lucky gig six years ago but I work as little as I can get away with.

I can imagine the stress you are under. I understand that it is a challenge to your sobriety. I think many of us have some big ones, big life issues that aren't so easy to work around or fix. I'm in a troubled marriage. It seems there's always something.

Things morph over time in sobriety, though. Time has shifted my perspectives in just a year and I sense they are not done shifting.

If you can't change careers and you can't change your hours, like I did: self care is paramount. Do you have friends you trust? Places you can go that feel like a refuge (a gym, a beach, a park, a nature trail...)? Family you can rely on? Pasttimes to keep you absorbed? A supportive romantic partner? a pet?

These things become very, very important for people with stressful lives who have spent years of those lives turning to alcohol to cope.

Ask yourself in a spiritual sense: why me? Why is it that I do what I do for a living even though it takes so much out of me? Who am I serving and why was I called to do this? Out of all the thousands of people in the community you are in this group that serves. Why? I ask myself these questions a lot. These questions start to gain more meaning to you as you get deeper in sobriety.

Peace to you.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Most people have to work while staying sober. Work is work. There's stress in most occupations. But the most important thing is being able to stay sober no matter what job you have.

If it seems too difficult to stay sober because a job is causing too much stress, I think you have to look at the situation first.

Are you getting to enough AA meetings? 4 or more a week would be about right for a stressful job.

Are you praying every morning to ask God to keep you sober?

Are you doing inventory and going over your resentments and fears? And are you talking about this to an AA sponsor or other AA members?

Did you make amends to the people you have harmed?

Are you also seeing a therapist to help you with the stress?

If you are doing things to help your recovery and still feel a job is unbearable, it probably is time to start looking for another job.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, Lorie. I was so impressed by your post and your intent to achieve sobriety that I came back to see how you are doing. You mentioned that you are making plans for how to deal with the changes and the additional anxiety that comes with giving up alcohol. An analogy came to mind that seems appropriate: you depend upon your partner and your co-workers in life and death situations, you rely upon them to the utmost. Your recovery plan is like having another partner that you can turn to when things get rough and tumble. Like any new partner you may have some doubts about him/her, but as time goes on you come to a relationship of trust. You have an entire force of people here, too, that are on your side.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well guys.. I’m alright 😊 sober now 116 days but that’s because I’m off work right now..... The big challenge for me is when I go back....., I’m in therapy once a week so far I did miss a couple of appts but I’m still going with commitment so...... I love this site SR I really do.... I’m going to keep being steadfast in my fight or efforts of continued sobriety with the grace of God... I’m proud of all of you too in your journeys to stay sober it does help me. It seems when I think about drinking I come on here and just looking at the words of others helps lessen my appetite for drinking. Thanks all of you 😊😊😊😊 Love u❤️❤️❤️
Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
Hey, Lorie. I was so impressed by your post and your intent to achieve sobriety that I came back to see how you are doing. You mentioned that you are making plans for how to deal with the changes and the additional anxiety that comes with giving up alcohol. An analogy came to mind that seems appropriate: you depend upon your partner and your co-workers in life and death situations, you rely upon them to the utmost. Your recovery plan is like having another partner that you can turn to when things get rough and tumble. Like any new partner you may have some doubts about him/her, but as time goes on you come to a relationship of trust. You have an entire force of people here, too, that are on your side.
Thx Guener... everything you said is true.... and I like the analogy you used... it makes sense... We are all called to do something with our lives we just don’t know what that is going forth the great mystery 😊 If only we knew lol... But.. we answer that call whatever that maybe and proceed accordingly like it or not right.... can’t turn back the clock ⏰ so... Anyway... thx for being here along with everyone else 🤗🤗🤗
Old 11-06-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

These are all great recitations of getting and staying sober while laboring under a good deal of stress.

Congrats to all who have posted on your sober time(s).

This was a big deal to me when I first got sober, because I was in a more challenging (actually rather Darwinian - as in survival of the fittest) work environment.

I don't have a lot of the same stressors today, thank heavens.

I didn't take any meds for my anxiety or depression back then, so my stress would, inexorably, lead to pretty serious depression, which stifled my on the job performance.

But I made a decision that my sobriety was paramount and went to many, many meetings, worked the steps with my sponsor, did service work, etc.

And exercised and led a fairly clean lifestyle.

I also made the decision to not have children, because i knew that they would lead to a higher magnitude of stress than I had ever known, thereby possibly leading me back to the bottle.

I've never regretted that decision.

More importantly, I took care of myself and, with the help of God and AA, have stayed sober throughout those stressful periods.