Notices

Non-alcoholic Beer and recovery.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerominuszero20 View Post
I think what you mean is disassociating alcoholic beverages and satisfaction. Yeah, not too much different than taking one of those drugs that inhibit you from getting drunk or enjoying the effect of alcohol. I think it could work but I think it is important to state if you are drinking the 0% beer at a bar or just at home.

When a teen, no one in my family drank but we always had O'douls in the fridge which is something like a .05% near beer. My father used to like to have this when seafood was served. One day we had an overseas guest stay over who was a big alcoholic it seemed so we served him this near beer without hin knowing what it was. He said it was good beer and after about 5 or 6 said that he was a bit buzzed and drowsy and asked if he could retire early. A lot of it is psychological.

Non-acoholic beer is very popular in Europe and is sold at all stores. Me and some university buddies went there as backpackers for one Sunner. We drank a lot during those days of course and one morning one of us decided to have a beer in the morning since Europeans are pretty open to drinking at any time. you often see them having a glass of wine in the morning at the cafes. Well, this buddy of our went to the store and bought some alcohol-free beer and was saying how strong the stuff was and how he could already feel the buzz coming on after just drinking like half the bottle.
I read about a very interesting experiment on how drunkeness is psychological. They had a group of people and they were all told they were going to be drinking vodka and coke in a bar. They were all told it was to measure behaviour and driving when drunk. Half the members were served vodka cokes and the other just coke but the rim of the glass had been rubbed with vodka.
All of them were acting pissed and they used driving simulators and did the straight line test and all of them failed it
When the sober people were breathalysed and read clean as a whistle they were shocked as they had FELT drunk.
Was very interesting.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skyfullofstars View Post
I read about a very interesting experiment on how drunkeness is psychological. They had a group of people and they were all told they were going to be drinking vodka and coke in a bar. They were all told it was to measure behaviour and driving when drunk. Half the members were served vodka cokes and the other just coke but the rim of the glass had been rubbed with vodka.
All of them were acting pissed and they used driving simulators and did the straight line test and all of them failed it
When the sober people were breathalysed and read clean as a whistle they were shocked as they had FELT drunk.
Was very interesting.
That is very interesting
Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AWald88 View Post
That is very interesting
The Placebo effect has been studied in many ways, this particular one is not too much diffferent in it's results.

I could absolutely see an alcoholic taking this "experiment" though and twisting the results around. AKA - if drinking plain coke still makes people "feel" drunk, then it should be OK for me to drink alcohol if I tell myself I'm not, right? ;-)
Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skyfullofstars View Post
Was very interesting.
Yeah, the brain is the biggest pharmacy of all. That is why we are not powerless, we have brains.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The Placebo effect has been studied in many ways, this particular one is not too much diffferent in it's results.

I could absolutely see an alcoholic taking this "experiment" though and twisting the results around. AKA - if drinking plain coke still makes people "feel" drunk, then it should be OK for me to drink alcohol if I tell myself I'm not, right? ;-)
but what you want to do there is not placebo.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got a buzz off a few beverages when I quit - but it doesn't follow that intoxication is all in my, or anyone else's, head.

That's the kind of logic that says I feel bad today, today is Saturday so Saturdays must make me feel bad.

D
Old 09-21-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

There is a lot to do with psychology Dee. When I was drinking, I felt horrible every morning. But one time I took an unplanned vacation to Hawaii for a week and I drank a lot but woke up feeling great that whole week seeing the beautiful sunrise and the sound of the waves.

It must have been because the environment made me feel stress-free. As soon as the vacation was over and I got back to my old life, the hangovers and anxiety started again after drinking and i had to quit again.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I got a buzz off a few beverages when I quit - but it doesn't follow that intoxication is all in my, or anyone else's, head.

That's the kind of logic that says I feel bad today, today is Saturday so Saturdays must make me feel bad.

D
You got buzzed of non-alcoholic beverages?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

AWald88

With all due respect. You aren't ready to stay sober. Classic AA textbook behavior IMO.

Taunt it, kick it, smell it, laugh at it but you aren't done yet.

AG
Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Because he likes the taste and the fizz of something? I like V8 and Clamato more than I like Bloody Mary's.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Because he likes the taste and the fizz of something? I like V8 and Clamato more than I like Bloody Mary's.
V8s are horrible IMO... Maybe I'm just a meat and potatoes guy..
Old 09-21-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

After being over a year sober I ordered a Kalibar at a small plates restaurant in Austin (aside....Austin has REALLY GREAT FOOD, and I'm in Los Angeles). I'd been missing having something to drink with my food other than ginger beer, club soda or water. Being carb limited, I shouldn't really even have the ginger beer. The Kalibar was OK.

I researched on line and found a highly rated n/a beer, so I ordered two EXPENSIVE AF six packs. My roomates and I opened one of each type and split them three ways. They were pretty yummy.

That was 2 months ago and I haven't had once since. I want to take a cold can with me when I go out for Thai or sushi because the beer flavor goes perfectly with these foods. Twice now I've forgotten.

I'm not that concerned. I'm not behaving alcoholically with it, I didn't chug it down, and I've barely touched it. I wouldn't drink it just to drink it, partially because carbs, partially because beer was always a go-with-food drink (wine was too, but that is a trigger). If I thought it was even remotely a trigger, I'd pour it out.

I think I'm in a very different place than the OP. Everyone is different.

Also NA beer isn't totally NA. A can is roughly the equivalent of two tablespoons of a lite beer like Miller Lite. I can live with that, I also cook with wine sometimes. Traces don't bother me, I can't feel it at all, and really don't want to.

I think it depends on the person and the situation and the timing. If I'd tried this in the first 90 days, I'd have been back to alcohol. For a lot of people it would be a total trigger.

I think it's OK depending on you, your sobriety, your situation, and your triggers, but proceed with caution.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Always growing -- not sure its fair to judge who is ready or not to stay sober based on this thread. I fear that by your standard, I am not ready either and I quit years ago and will never drink again. ever.

MM nailed it as usual, for me (not for anyone else). Except that I could drink NA stuff from day 1 no trigger (but that is me, not you).

An open mind is key to all things in the kingdom IMO.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysGrowing View Post
AWald88

With all due respect. You aren't ready to stay sober. Classic AA textbook behavior IMO.

Taunt it, kick it, smell it, laugh at it but you aren't done yet.

AG
Mate, it's true for me the decision to quit was not based on if I continue I'll die revelation, but rather a recognition that I was drinking too much. The amounts were increasing, and when I tried to stop I craved for it even after weeks/months of not drinking. This told me that if I continued to drink the problem would just get worse.

Everyone's experience is different, I don't know if NA beer is going to work for me but I'm open to it. I don't know if having never been physically dependant of Alcohol or my drinking habits been a bit unorthodox makes my experience different. All I do know is I don't want to drink any more and that I've been fighting myself for almost six months to that effect.

Could I fail, sure. Could NA beer lead me back to drinking, sure. But if I try nothing new just incase it triggers me I will definitely fail.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AWald88 View Post

Could I fail, sure. Could NA beer lead me back to drinking, sure. But if I try nothing new just incase it triggers me I will definitely fail.
At least you know that 0% beer won't get your drunk. You are an adult and can know if you are doing right or wrong.

Would anyone have a problem if a person whose drink of choice used to be rum and coke decided to drink just coke instead?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

You got buzzed of non-alcoholic beverages?
Once or twice in the early weeks.

I'd been around the clock drinker for 5 years by then...my brain probably interpreted every beverage as alcohol.

It goes back to that behaviour thing I spoke about on page one of this thread.

I wasn't rip roaringly drunk - that would be ridiculous.

I just experienced a little something that reminded me of being buzzed.

I experienced it eating a Guinness beef pie too....

Having that phoney buzz wasn't pleasant - I was trying to do everything to not drink again. I was in fear of my life.

At least you know that 0% beer won't get your drunk. You are an adult and can know if you are doing right or wrong.

Would anyone have a problem if a person whose drink of choice used to be rum and coke decided to drink just coke instead?
I don't have a problem with what anyone else does.

But if my drink of choice was rum and cola and drinking cola made me long for rum, then yeah I'd have a problem.

Its all about the behaviours for me, man.

D
Old 09-21-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
nez

I only know what works for me and what doesn't work for me. Drinking NA beer doesn't work for me. I have tried. Not drinking NA beer does work for me. I have tried. As to what would work and what wouldn't work for anyone else, that decision is way above my pay grade.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
. I was in fear of my life.
It would have been easier if you just told me that at the beginning.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I must have told my story here 100 thousand times, man.
I didn't purposely withhold any info

NA beer has bought down drinkers who drank less than me, and more than me.

I'd doubt quantity or frequency are determinants.

D
Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You may have told it many times but I've never heard it. I had no idea that alcohol-free beer and beef that is slow cooked for hours in Guinness could do that to you. I was thinking about filling up old vodka bottles with distilled water and pouring into shot glasses but I am too afraid of getting the fake buzz now.