Notices

Scared im just gunna die. Need Advice

Old 08-22-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared im just gunna die. Need Advice

So first off I am 24 yrs old. I have been drinking sense about 17 but not all the time I just partied with friends. I only started drinking alot when I turned 20 then started to binge drink around 22. I can go days without drinking then party with friends then I will drink every day for about acouple weeks then stop. I know im a binge drinker but there are times where I can have 1 then stop completely. I have anxiety and am a hypochondriac also so the drinking only helps when im obviously buzzed or drunk thats why I started drinking so much and of course it was fun. I have withdrawn about 2 times and recently I have successfully tapered off from drinking about 4 Steal Reserves 24 oz 8% to 1 then to 0. ( I binged for about I believe a couple weeks) Im trying extremely hard to moderate myself because I dont want to go down the route of drinking myself to death)

So the thing is I take ativan 1mg for anxiety (I know it helps with withdrawls also) and to help me sleep 1 at night. I took one last night around 2 am and its 5:20 pm here the next day so I dont think its still in my system.

My concern is im gunna drop dead and have a seize up randomly or die from a heart attack or have a stroke from alcohol withdrawls. Idk if this is my anxiety and hypochondria speaking but I hardly have any withdrawls. Idk if thats normal to not really have any after tapering off? My blood pressure is pretty high so I think thats part of withdrawls. I have slightly shaky hands and I do have night sweats but not alot. Is this normal to hardly have any withdrawls?? Im TERRIFIED of dying randomly at night or just drop dead throughout the day!!!
I just need some advice from someone pls. I have had 3 EKGs on my heart and they said im healthy. Also I never drank heavily on liquor I only drank beer. So idk if this is also something that plays into effect. I just need some advice. ( also I have no history of DT's or anything like that)

Thank you so much! I know this is long but im scared to hell that im done for.

( Also im fairly healthy I weight 140, Work out, eat really healthy, Drink lots of water, Take multi vitamins. So idk if this plays into why I feel healthy right now)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Anoil.

We can't answer medical questions, but the bottom line for me is this....

I had to suffer through the hell to get this clean.

Curling up in a little ball and wimpering until the sun came up and it was time to go to work.

Feeling like I was walking sideways sometimes when it was dark outside.

Just plain hell on earth.

Until I was ready to suffer like that...I could not stop.

The longer I drank, the worse the hell to quit became.

Eventually, I would have died of some alcohol related illness while going insane to boot.

It took well over a year to start to feel good about feeling normal.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for replying I know you guys cant answer medical questions... :/ I just dont know whats gunna happen and I just want some advice from anyone with experience.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not everyone who stops drinking goes through withdrawal. I didn't. I was quite a hypochondriac in my 20's. It's easy to get caught up in that downward spiral where you are convinced you have something terrible wrong with you and are going to drop dead. You keep going to the doctor and they can't find anything wrong but you can't stop obsessing over it. You should try counseling for your hypochondria and anxiety if you haven't already, it really helped me. Good for you for stopping drinking at such a young age, too. Alcohol just makes everything including anxiety worse but it took me a lot longer than you to figure that out. Best to just quit than try to moderate in my experience.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElizaD View Post
Not everyone who stops drinking goes through withdrawal. I didn't. Like you, I was quite hypochondriac in my 20's. It's easy to get caught up in that downward spiral where you are convinced you have something terrible wrong with you and are going to drop dead. You keep going to the doctor and they can't find anything wrong but you can't stop obsessing over it. You should try counseling for your hypochondria and anxiety if you haven't already, it really helped me. Good for you for stopping drinking at such a young age, too. Alcohol just makes anxiety worse but it took me a lot longer than you to figure that out.

Thank you for your reply! Honestly I feel like my anxiety kind of mimics withdrawl symptoms like sweaty palms and sweating, insomnia, fast heart rate. So Im just hoping for the best! and thank you for the positive message. Im trying my hardest to not drink. I think it makes my mental state much worse like you said.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to the posting side of things Aniol. I too dealt with a lot of anxiety during the end stages of my drinking and also in withdrawal. Some anxiety is normal during withdrawals - alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so when you quit your mind becomes much more active and sometime overactive. I also found that I was suffering from General Anxiety on top of the alcohol related anxiety, so I needed to seek professional help for that too after I got sober.

Withdrawals can be dangerous, but anxiety cannot kill you fortunately. As far a predicting what might happen, we really can't give you a clear idea. Severe withdrawals are not the norm of course, but you are also mixing benzos with your drinking and that's a pretty dangerous combo in itself. Your best bet is to see a doc if you have concerns that you might have bad symptoms. How much you drank is not always a good indicator either.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to the posting side of things Aniol. I too dealt with a lot of anxiety during the end stages of my drinking and also in withdrawal. Some anxiety is normal during withdrawals - alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so when you quit your mind becomes much more active and sometime overactive. I also found that I was suffering from General Anxiety on top of the alcohol related anxiety, so I needed to seek professional help for that too after I got sober.

Withdrawals can be dangerous, but anxiety cannot kill you fortunately. As far a predicting what might happen, we really can't give you a clear idea. Severe withdrawals are not the norm of course, but you are also mixing benzos with your drinking and that's a pretty dangerous combo in itself. Your best bet is to see a doc if you have concerns that you might have bad symptoms. How much you drank is not always a good indicator either.

Its a very small dose and I didnt do it for very long. I dont do it any more I would also wait to take my medicine after I waited a long time after drinking. But not to lie I did take some with drinking at the end of the night because my anxiety was so bad. So far nothing bad has happened and I hope it doesnt. But thank you so much for the reply! I have heard also its bad to mix because its not good for your respiratory system. It was an extremely low dose also that I have. 1mg of Ativan I heard is not alot.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your fear of suddenly dropping dead is very familiar to me, a fellow hypochondriac; that level of anxiety can be crippling. I also self medicated with alcohol. It's no way to live.

Taking alcohol out of the equation is an obvious good first step, and one I wish I'd taken at your age. Just make sure your doctor is aware of the level of your health anxiety; mine was way beyond general worry and concern. It required treatment above and beyond my alcoholism, and I'm sorry you're experiencing anything like it.