Notices

Facing reality and myself 1st timer here

Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facing reality and myself 1st timer here

So, let me get started. I am a 25 year old male. I started using alcohol and weed in college but it's only the alcohol that is a concern. It started off light as a social thing. I then found myself using just to escape and "get out of head.

Over the years, I have developed a tolerance. One four loko would have me hammered now it takes a minimum of a pint of vodka. I realize my drinking is even more since living at home with my mother and stepfather who is a raging alcoholic and drug user. Very loud and obnoxious when intoxicated, I dealt with that all through my teens.

I've probably been drinking over a pint a day the last 4 weeks. Whenever I'm stimulated and engaged, I don't think about it. But if I'm alone in my room with nothing too so I have a tendency to drink.

How can I control my drinking now that I've identified that my environment is an influencing factor.

Addiction runs in my family but I know that doesn't have to be my fate. I'm sorry if I typed so much I've just never been so honest with myself.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing!

As for how you can "control" your drinking:

Go to meetings, work a program, seek outside help (therapy, counselor, etc).

Is there any possibility to get out of the living situation that is causing you to *want* to drink?

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome AlAce - I moved your thread to the alcoholism forum - you should get more feedback that way

I got sober in the same house i got drunk in, so I think in that sense environment is only a problem if you do nothing about it.

Part of my sobriety was finding productive meaningful things to do and the other part was accepting alcohol was not a solution to me, but a problem.

I also made other changes in the people I hung around with and the places I'd hang around in (pubs clubs etc)

It was tough to make all those changes but I found a lot of support here

D
Old 08-21-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Your environment doesn't have to be a deciding factor in your staying sober. You simply have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.