Notices

Any advice?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advice?

Hey everyone. I joined end of May this year but unfortunately have had one relapse after another resulting in a major one that ended yesterday. I've joined a community detox programme as per Doctors and workplace med department's advice.

I've been told mine is a "strange case" as I can go days without a drink but I seem to be one drink away from then drinking morning to night until I get withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms being horrible palpitations meaning i then need a few drinks to 'level out'. These symptoms can last for a few days but about a week on this occasion although (without detailing what exactly) in the first few days i drank an insane amount.

At my pre detox session this morning i explained that i felt for the 1st time since my last relapse i felt i could go without a drink but was advised against it.

Just wondered if my case was similar to anyone else's and what advice anyone here could give me really.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, binge drinking is just as bad if not worse than daily maintenance drinking.

Here's a good article on Kindling.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Dr Max. Glad to hear you are going to be participating in the local Detox, that sounds like a good idea since you've been struggling so much.

Sounds to me like you are a binge drinker, which really isn't a strange case at all, it's very common actually. The bottom line though is that it really doesn't matter what "kind" of drinker you are. If it's a problem, the solution is always to quit completely.

As far as advice, what worked for me finally was simply accepting that not drinking at all was the solution. Our addition will try and use any possible excuse that it can to keep us drinking, so you have to make an absolute commitment that zero alcohol is the only possible outcome that will work.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Dr Max. Glad to hear you are going to be participating in the local Detox, that sounds like a good idea since you've been struggling so much.

Sounds to me like you are a binge drinker, which really isn't a strange case at all, it's very common actually. The bottom line though is that it really doesn't matter what "kind" of drinker you are. If it's a problem, the solution is always to quit completely.

As far as advice, what worked for me finally was simply accepting that not drinking at all was the solution. Our addition will try and use any possible excuse that it can to keep us drinking, so you have to make an absolute commitment that zero alcohol is the only possible outcome that will work.
Thanks Scott. Yeah I think I've realised it many times in the last 18 months before telling myself it would be ok to "have a few"
Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know plenty of people in AA who were the same.

Currently I've got 4 years and 4 months sober (that's a lot of days) but I know what would happen if I started drinking tonight.

We don't really do 'advise' as such, but my suggestion (because it worked for me) if that just because you were a binge drinker rather than an everyday one, don't let that deter you from working on your recovery. It's the recovery work that makes sobriety bearable, then comfortable and sustainable, and eventually preferable to drinking. If we just abstain, eventually we think that it's worth trying drinking again.

Glad you're here and posting.

BB
Old 08-03-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"I can hold it together for a few days, I'm not an alcoholic!"
Denial is the death of us drunks.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started as a binge drinker and ended up an all day drinker. Most of my mates were binge drinkers so I don't find it strange or unusual at all.

The important bit is what you do about it now, DrMax