Notices

Ghrelin Might Cure Alcoholism

Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Hi star, thanks for the article. I personally believe that people quitting substances have the capacity to read all types of materials and make decisions about their path forward. They are addicted to a substance, but they're not idiots or children and reading something isn't going to make them implode.

re: the article...I think that even if this pill was guaranteed to stop my desire to drink, I would not take it. That would make my abstinence contingent on this pill, and what will happen then if I cannot get it for whatever reason? My journey has been not focused on ridding myself of desire/cravings, but rather learning that despite the presence of cravings, I am perfectly capable of abstaining permanently and enjoying my life sans booze.

I agree!

And I know exactly what you’re saying about making your abstinence contingent on one pill. Multiple factors caused and there’s more to do in order to recover. Lots of tools available so hopefully they get some use.

How wonderful that you’ve reached the point of enjoying life again!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
IMO and IME .....Addiction is a disease of insanity, Star. So knowing what we should do and actually doing it is familiar to most of us alcoholics, and at some point we do act on the knowledge that our insane choices have to change, or we don't and we keep going and roll the proverbial dice on what follows.

I don't define my life by just being sober as you phrased it. I do, however, define my life by my recovery, as it enables me to do great things daily. If I didn't have hat backdrop, I would be a fraction of the person I have become and want to keep growing into, just being sober. Moving on quickly isn't the right thought for me, because my disease is at heart not about drinking itself. There is so much more to the addicted brain and mind and emotions and....those are the things I began to develop and restore once alcohol was gone.

Easier and softer is a longer concept than I hav energy to delve into this morning!
I know! It’s gorgeous and sunny outside so I’m done with the internet for now... it’s Sunday! Off to enjoy it
Old 08-26-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

"Why would you lose that? What you accomplished doesn’t disappear. You achieved it, it’s yours."

because i wouldn't have done it.
wouldn't have done the journey.

i think of it in terms of hiking: taking a trail, getting the right shoes, doing the walking, the occasional tripping, the energy output, the sweating, the keeping going....all these are part of me when i get to the top of the hill.
they have changed me a bit.
doing that is a different experience from being taken to the viewpoint by helicopter.
i am NOT saying there is anything "wrong" with getting there by helicopter or gondola, just that it is very different and i would have lost out on it if a pill had been offered .
i wouldn't be the same person now.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I laugh at all the "possible cures" for alcoholism. The only way to control it is to stop drinking one day at a time.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Did you know that sparkling water helps produce Ghrelin?! Fact.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
"Why would you lose that? What you accomplished doesn’t disappear. You achieved it, it’s yours."

because i wouldn't have done it.
wouldn't have done the journey.

i think of it in terms of hiking: taking a trail, getting the right shoes, doing the walking, the occasional tripping, the energy output, the sweating, the keeping going....all these are part of me when i get to the top of the hill.
they have changed me a bit.
doing that is a different experience from being taken to the viewpoint by helicopter.
i am NOT saying there is anything "wrong" with getting there by helicopter or gondola, just that it is very different and i would have lost out on it if a pill had been offered .
i wouldn't be the same person now.
That’s wonderful!
Hopefully everyone here also gets to the point where they’re happy and healthy in their lives again
Old 09-01-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
Did you know that sparkling water helps produce Ghrelin?! Fact.
lolzzz I remember that study.. amazing the things that get published these days! Let alone the interpretations...

Oh well, a little knowledge can be dangerous right?

And with all those “researchers” credentialed by Google? The internet can be so entertaining