SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Ghrelin Might Cure Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/430587-ghrelin-might-cure-alcoholism.html)

starstarstar 07-28-2018 02:45 AM

Ghrelin Might Cure Alcoholism

Thought this article might interest someone here :)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-hu...e-alcoholism-3

August252015 07-28-2018 03:54 AM

Most of us around here with some recovery time do not believe a pill of any kind can cure alcoholism. Even the article states this isn't a potential cure. Meds like Campral and Naltrexone already exist and can help curb cravings for some people. They are not intended to encourage people to drink anyway just less often or such, at least by folks around here- generally from our own experiences. And speaking only for myself here, while I do support the use of such meds also believe that use must be combined with action to truly live in recovery, beyond just sobriety.

Respectfully, it is irresponsible and inappropriate to spread this kind of info on a site hat supports sobriety, not reduction of consumption or any similar ways to address a fatally progressive disease.

FBL 07-28-2018 04:30 AM

The only cure I need is recovery.

ScottFromWI 07-28-2018 04:51 AM

As with any medication, seeking advice of your doctor is the best first step. Almost all other “anti-craving” meds also are designed to be used in conjunction with some kind of recovery plan/method..

The promise of a miracle pill to “cure “ Alcoholism has been hawked many times before, time will tell how this particlur drug evolves.

The last line of the article actually states this pretty clearly

Clearly a pill that thwarts alcoholism would be a momentous cultural event. Akhlaghi urges caution, though: “We are looking at the effect of the compound. We cannot say this is a cure; we can say it is a promising therapy.”

zjw 07-28-2018 06:24 AM

yeah everyone wants a pill that will solve anything and everything rather then putting in hard work to achieve the goal. I dont think theres any kinda hack or shortcut to lots of stuff.

biminiblue 07-28-2018 06:39 AM

Ghrelin is a hormone. Of course it encourages us to eat - but playing with hormones is a recipe for disaster.

I stopped taking pills a long time ago - over a decade ago. They all have unintended side-effects. For me, ghrelin can be regulated by eating regular nutritious food. When I was a drinker, I just didn't eat. Didn't want to ruin the effects of alcohol.

It's a red herring.

Eat food.

Balance hormones.

Ta da.

JeffreyAK 07-28-2018 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6967256)
When I was a drinker, I just didn't eat. Didn't want to ruin the effects of alcohol.

Ha, I did the same thing. Crazy in hindsight, but that's how it was for me.

NYCDoglvr 07-28-2018 06:29 PM

If a cure for alcoholism was announced I'd celebrate by drinking two bottles of champagne.

Arpeggioh 07-29-2018 09:02 AM

At my first rehab, a counselor told the group that there was a pill that would cure alcoholism...unfortunately, it's a foot long, covered in spikes, and must be taken rectally. I'm almost sure she was kidding...

MindfulMan 07-31-2018 05:14 PM

I have a better cure for alcoholism.

Stop drinking.

kevlarsjal2 07-31-2018 05:22 PM

If I could drink like a "normal" drinker I wouldn't even like it. I drank to numb my feelings not to enjoy the taste of a nice glass of wine with dinner. I don't think that any pill could change that mindset of wanting to abuse alcohol. I believe that medicines can help with the physical addiction in some ways but not with feeling the need to numb oneself.

Ken33xx 07-31-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by starstarstar (Post 6967077)
Thought this article might interest someone here :)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-hu...e-alcoholism-3

Reminds of articles which suggest a possible cure for male pattern baldness.

Such products never worked. :headbange

SoberCAH 08-01-2018 10:01 AM

Even if Big Pharma came up with a pill that would let me drink without becoming a chronic drunk and without the consequences I suffered before I got sober, I would still not drink.

I love the life that I have.

Big Pharma will never make a pill that will make me act responsibly and behave like an adult, nor will it produce a drug which makes me closer to God.

I ain't giving back what sobriety has given me.

August252015 08-01-2018 02:12 PM

^^^^^that.

daredevil 08-01-2018 02:14 PM

Thanks for the link, starstarstar--definitely worth a read.

tomsteve 08-01-2018 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6967256)
When I was a drinker, I just didn't eat. Didn't want to ruin the effects of alcohol.

here,too. i think iffen i took this pill, id just be drunk and overwieght.

Db1105 08-01-2018 03:22 PM

Drinking alcohol is just one symptom of the disease of alcoholism.

LadyBlue0527 08-02-2018 05:37 PM

No pill will ever cure my need to escape from life by using a substance and becoming addicted to it.

The only cure for that is building a life where no escape is necessary.

Who wants to live a life that's a lie? I'd rather work on making my life better.

LadyBlue0527 08-02-2018 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SoberCAH (Post 6971303)

I love the life that I have.

I ain't giving back what sobriety has given me.

THIS! A million times THIS!

nez 08-02-2018 06:30 PM

Ghrelin might curb cravings for alcohol, but I doubt it does anything to increase enlightenment. I only experience that through soul searching and reflection, which in turn leads to experiencing serenity, which is all I was looking for in the first place