Notices

Why doesn't alcohol have any real warnings?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The normal drinker's own body has their own built in warning system that it's a poison, and that's why they stop after only a couple of drinks. Also if they do overdrink, you get a nice punishment with a hangover as a reminder not to do that again.
Of course when it comes to alcoholics that all goes out the window.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Most people don't abuse it.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Perfectly said.

Normal drinkers don't need warnings, and alcoholics don't heed them.
This sums it up pretty well.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Something close to half the world population doesn't drink at all. In the US it's less, but still a significant fraction (a quarter?). Most of the rest drink rarely and lightly. Us heavy drinkers tend to stick together, so of course we hang out with that minority of the population.
I gotta ask. How can they possibly know how many people drink? I don't remember been asked in a survey about whether or not I drink
Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
I gotta ask. How can they possibly know how many people drink? I don't remember been asked in a survey about whether or not I drink
Surveys, purchase tracking, etc. Consumer habits are very well known for most things.

Having said that, why would it matter? You have a long history of some pretty horrific consequences from drinking, do you really need a warning label or a survey to prove that further?
Old 07-23-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Warnings are actually self evident alcoholics just don't listen. One of my offices was in a high rise building in an urban area in a large city. It had a large floor to ceiling window that overlooked the city. I would get to work around 7 or so every morning and sit there with my coffee and watch the EMT's show up and cart the previous nights victim's out. I mean people would be sprawled out in the middle of roads getting ran over, passed out in alley's when it is freezing out, getting their brains beat out etc. The amazing thing is there would be a new batch of victims every morning. Even more amazing is I was an alcoholic watching it every morning and it did not make a difference.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Completely agree with Tynesider that if it was discovered nowadays it would almost certainly be a Class A drug.

In the UK we have a few warnings on the booze. From memory it is, don't drink while pregnant, don't drive or operate machinery and "please drink responsibly." Plus the percentage of the alcohol in the vessel, the government weekly unit guideline and the website address for drinking responsibly advice.

The fact it is so easy to get hold of this awful drug in this country is scary. I live in a little village yet in a mile radius I could get hold of booze in six different places. SIX in a mile radius in a village! One Asda superstore open 6am - midnight except Sundays, a pub, a corner shop and three little express supermarkets.

Obviously when I was drinking I was delighted, six places to rotate my buying and all within a fifteen minute walk. I have an eighteen hour window in which I can get hold of my fix! Marvellous!

Now I am sober I don't think it is marvellous at all, it is bloody frightening.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

There's lots of warnings, but I was utterly oblivious to warnings for a long time. It's an absolute miracle I woke up and finally got the message.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
So with cigarettes packages there is death labels all over the things with skull and cross bone warnings and pictures of lungs. Now with alcohol it has almost no warnings except for a little text that says drink wise and a don't drink while pregnant sign.

Any reason for this?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think about half of the responses here are talking about the physical signs of alcoholism and you were asking about the actual packaging and advertising. If so, you are correct. There aren't many warning signs for alcoholism. It's strange that cigarette commercials have been banned for decades in the US while you can see plenty of commercials for booze on any given Sunday. All they're required to say or print is "Drink Responsibly."

Good question...
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarltheheretiK View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think about half of the responses here are talking about the physical signs of alcoholism and you were asking about the actual packaging and advertising. If so, you are correct. There aren't many warning signs for alcoholism. It's strange that cigarette commercials have been banned for decades in the US while you can see plenty of commercials for booze on any given Sunday. All they're required to say or print is "Drink Responsibly."

Good question...
I have a theory.

It's majority rules (read vote buying). People put up with warnings and excessive cost for cigarettes because it is the current popular "sin", "vice" - call it what you will.

Smokers are made to feel bad (whether that is a good or bad thing is a personal opinion), the government makes a token stab at looking like they are doing something about it (graphic warnings, huge taxes) - the very vocal non-smoking lobby and other self-righteous voters are happy and the government rakes in money. Smokers know it's not worth voicing their opinion.

With alcohol, raising taxes and issuing warnings makes voters mad. That's why it doesn't happen (in my opinion). Case in point, where I live, a few years ago, they raised taxes on both at the same time. There was such a huge out-roar at the raise in alcohol tax that the government actually rescinded it. It doesn't have the same taboo factor as cigarettes etc.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Because its a hghly taxed commodity.

In my State, is touted magical - on the back of busses, sponsoring events, on the outside of every second cornerstore, all over tv and radio.

As for warnings... a small poster at the doctors rpoms ans a tiny warning on size 4 font somewhere on the back of the bottle
Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

There is small print on each container that states there is alcohol in this container and gives a %. I guess that's warning enough for all of us who know alcohol is poison lol. I guess there should be warnings like "Those who consume alcohol in large amounts for extended periods will lose jobs, family, happiness and health, including death."
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I have a theory.

It's majority rules (read vote buying). People put up with warnings and excessive cost for cigarettes because it is the current popular "sin", "vice" - call it what you will.

Smokers are made to feel bad (whether that is a good or bad thing is a personal opinion), the government makes a token stab at looking like they are doing something about it (graphic warnings, huge taxes) - the very vocal non-smoking lobby and other self-righteous voters are happy and the government rakes in money. Smokers know it's not worth voicing their opinion.

With alcohol, raising taxes and issuing warnings makes voters mad. That's why it doesn't happen (in my opinion). Case in point, where I live, a few years ago, they raised taxes on both at the same time. There was such a huge out-roar at the raise in alcohol tax that the government actually rescinded it. It doesn't have the same taboo factor as cigarettes etc.
There actually are pretty strict anti-alcohol laws in many parts of the country, including completely dry cities and counties.
The funny part is most of these areas are highly pro tobacco, where on the flipside, the areas where alcohol laws are relaxed, they are usually very strict with smoking laws.