Notices

60 months tomorrow

Old 07-19-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

60 months tomorrow

Tomorrow, unless an act of god happens I will be at five years. I can't believe it's been that long. I have come a very long way and I was a complete hopeless drunk. I was probably what you considered a functioning drunk which isn't really much to be proud off. Driving drunk and getting arrested, getting mugged twice due to being drunk. Numerous fights in my younger years and almost lost my marriage. Last time my wife threatened to leave was six months before I quit for good. I was able to make it six months past that date without her leaving. One day she decided to go on a vacation solo to get a break from work. I'm sure it was more of getting a break from me. For some odd reason I decided that enough is enough. The day she left on her vacation in July of 2013 I was supposed to be celebrating that I could now drink for a week like there's no tomorrow. Instead I went home and went to bed. Got to work the next day and felt this strange feeling that I was done with Alcohol. I haven't touched it since. Mind you I did a mental inventory and decided that I didn't want to live like this anymore but this time it was for real. I think the key to my success was that my wife left on vacation and she did not threaten me about my drinking this time. She just quietly went and I believe that somewhere deep down I felt that if I didn't change now she might come back from vacation and then go on a permanent vacation from me. Either way, I did it. It has not been easy by any means but so much rewarding that I can't even begin to describe it. My cravings are almost never present any more and as soon as I remotely think about alcohol, I play the tape in my head about all the misery I went through drinking. I can honestly say I don't miss that lifestyle at all. I've saved so much money, lost weight and found so many joys in other things. I'm sorry if you read this and still struggle with drinking. Just remember it's never too late and I am an example of that. I drank since my early teens until I was 46 years old. If I can do it, you can do it. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats tnman

unless an act of god happens
even if it did I think you've proved you can stay sober - don't doubt that

D
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for an inspiring message. And big congrats on five years sober!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes, that is five years alright!!!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Congrats!!!

Love stories like this!

Did you use/are using any recovery program? Or is done just done?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on five years.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, way to go! 5 years - you are a role model!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on 5 years. I stopped smoking 5 years ago, the misery I would have avoided if it was alcohol as well.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

That's great news tnman1967!

Please verify there was no act of God.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Right on!
Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations
Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A wonderful achievement. Congratulations.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Tomorrow, unless an act of god happens I will be at five years. I can't believe it's been that long. I have come a very long way and I was a complete hopeless drunk. I was probably what you considered a functioning drunk which isn't really much to be proud off. Driving drunk and getting arrested, getting mugged twice due to being drunk. Numerous fights in my younger years and almost lost my marriage. Last time my wife threatened to leave was six months before I quit for good. I was able to make it six months past that date without her leaving. One day she decided to go on a vacation solo to get a break from work. I'm sure it was more of getting a break from me. For some odd reason I decided that enough is enough. The day she left on her vacation in July of 2013 I was supposed to be celebrating that I could now drink for a week like there's no tomorrow. Instead I went home and went to bed. Got to work the next day and felt this strange feeling that I was done with Alcohol. I haven't touched it since. Mind you I did a mental inventory and decided that I didn't want to live like this anymore but this time it was for real. I think the key to my success was that my wife left on vacation and she did not threaten me about my drinking this time. She just quietly went and I believe that somewhere deep down I felt that if I didn't change now she might come back from vacation and then go on a permanent vacation from me. Either way, I did it. It has not been easy by any means but so much rewarding that I can't even begin to describe it. My cravings are almost never present any more and as soon as I remotely think about alcohol, I play the tape in my head about all the misery I went through drinking. I can honestly say I don't miss that lifestyle at all. I've saved so much money, lost weight and found so many joys in other things. I'm sorry if you read this and still struggle with drinking. Just remember it's never too late and I am an example of that. I drank since my early teens until I was 46 years old. If I can do it, you can do it. Thanks for reading.
Amazing post thanks for sharing. Congrats on 5 years that's wonderful 👏
Old 07-20-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

5 years - oh, how magnificent tnman! Very proud of you.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Congrats!!!

Love stories like this!

Did you use/are using any recovery program? Or is done just done?
No recovery program, only this web site and a mental decision to not drink. I quit several times over the years for brief periods of time and once for a whole year back in 1996. Went to AA during two periods of time but this time I did it on my own. I found it to be easier. Formal programs just made me want to drink worse. Note, I'm not telling you what you should do. Everyone is different.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your humility is a credit to you. Thankyou and congratulations
Old 07-21-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

::sco regood
Old 07-21-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You deserve to be able to pat yourself on the back for such a fantastic achievement, congratulations! Very inspiring post