Notices

Ugh!!!!!! Want a drink

Old 06-13-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh!!!!!! Want a drink

I知 just staying in my hotel room and not going to go to restaurant since I know I値l have one. This sucks. Hate the craving.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried any of these things Done?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, know how it feels and it sucks really bad, especially in early recovery, barely have three actual weeks sober.

When I have cravings like that I just go and eat something heavy and drink lots of water, that tends to help quite a bit.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Trying the change routine by staying in my room which is very not me. I thought about finding an AA meeting since I am traveling but I fear I壇 find my way to a bar instead. Staying in my room will work tonight. I値l make it. And by getting undressed I have to really work to even think of leaving. I will use some of those when I am not traveling.

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah. Eating something is helping! I find ice cream to help a lot. Maybe not for the waist line. But replaces the cravings.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go for a run man....get rid of the anxiety. Exercise will make you thirsty for water, not booze. 😉
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What would you be doing with yourself if the craving didn't exist?

what if you've removed it, so craving/drink is irrelevant?

What would your evening look like, then?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
What would you be doing with yourself if the craving didn't exist?

what if you've removed it, so craving/drink is irrelevant?

What would your evening look like, then?
wow...as simple as this statement is, it's very profound.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,
The cravings passed and now I feel brand new this morning. I知 using SR as part of my plan.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good work Done4ever. I think it's very important to remember that "cravings" are just thoughts that only exist in our own minds. And we have 100% control over how we react to them. You made a decision and acted based on that decision to not drink. Staying in your room worked but as you get further along you can start doing things like taking a walk, ect. Isolating yourself in those times can sometimes be counterproductive.

Along these same lines, you said "thought about finding an AA meeting since I am traveling but I fear I’d find my way to a bar instead." Think about that for a minute - you are basically saying that it's possible that you'd be out and about and somehow be pulled into a bar against your own will. I do understand the fear for sure - and you are correct, the urge might be there to find alcohol and drink it. But don't forget that you would need to make several decisions and act on them for drinking to occur. You'd have to decide to go someplace where alcohol is sold, decide to purchase it, and then decide to actually drink it. And at each point along the way you could also choose to not do any of the above - none of it is controlled by fate or destiny.

So great job...and coming here to talk things through is always a good decision too - keep making ones like that and you will go far.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have a plan for maintaining your sobriety? If not, get one. Fear and isolation are cracks for alcoholism to seek into. A plan of action will eliminate these cracks. Early sobriety is full of challenges. You have to take action. Massive amounts of action. I repeat this advice so many times here. Alcoholism is no joke. It's pure evil. It's huge. It's powerful. It's strong as hell. It's going to do everything in it's power to take you to an early grave. So your plan is to sit idle and not get dressed?? Help me here, I'm confused. Seriously, I'm totally confused.
Get into action. Now. Not later.
I understand you did what it took last night and you didn't drink. That's great. But you have to stay one step ahead of the disease and get busy. Don't fear this crap. Take it head on. That means going on the offensive. Ask anyone here, you have to be proactive.
Hang in there buddy.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Done - I'm so glad you made it through that tempting & challenging time. You're great.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Do you have a plan for maintaining your sobriety? If not, get one. Fear and isolation are cracks for alcoholism to seek into. A plan of action will eliminate these cracks. Early sobriety is full of challenges. You have to take action. Massive amounts of action. I repeat this advice so many times here. Alcoholism is no joke. It's pure evil. It's huge. It's powerful. It's strong as hell. It's going to do everything in it's power to take you to an early grave. So your plan is to sit idle and not get dressed?? Help me here, I'm confused. Seriously, I'm totally confused.
Get into action. Now. Not later.
I understand you did what it took last night and you didn't drink. That's great. But you have to stay one step ahead of the disease and get busy. Don't fear this crap. Take it head on. That means going on the offensive. Ask anyone here, you have to be proactive.
Hang in there buddy.

This right here is fantastic.