Notices

Need AA'ers Advice Please

Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need AA'ers Advice Please

I am in early recovery and attending AA meetings and loving it. I don't have a sponsor yet but there is a woman who goes to one of the meetings I go to who I am going to ask next time I see her.

I went to a meeting the other day and they were handing out chips and I got a 2 month one. I was convinced I was 2 months sober and everyone was so pleased for me there. Last night I was looking back at my calender and I thought errr hang on a minute and I am actually 6 weeks not 2 months!! What an idiot!! I feel really guilty. I text another alcoholic who goes to my meetings and she said it was a genuine mistake and to text a few other women to see what they say. It's too early here to do that so came to good old Sober Recovery instead .

What are your thoughts please?! X x
Old 06-01-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Honest mistake. No big deal, will probably raise a laugh at the meeting when you give it back and explain what happened. Doctor Bob was a great one for showing zeal
Old 06-01-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What Gottalife said!

And, it's interesting to me that your AA group gives 2mo chips. It's 30 days then 90 days then 9 mo then a year for us.

"Be grateful for the chips you hold" as the saying goes. Keep going!
Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't over think it. Share that you were a little over zealous! I'm quite sure that's not the first time that has happened.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes I will say a number or statement knowing is it the truth then later rethink it and figure out I was wrong.

Honest mistake. Maybe joke about it at the next meeting and/or at your two month mark..
Old 06-01-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Well done on your sobriety.

Don’t worry about getting your chip early,I would hang on to it for when you get to 2 months.It was an honest mistake.

We also get chips for every month up to one year,then once a year from then on.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My advice is to ask the lady to be your sponsor ASAP.

Then work the 12 Steps with her.

Continue reading our literature.

Keep going to meetings and trying to work with other drunks.

And don't worry about the chip hiccup.

If it continues to bother you, though, give it back to the group with an explanation - and expect a lot of love and support.

We all make mistakes.

Congrats on deciding to pursue AA.

God and AA (which I believe to be an instrument of God) have saved my life.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your replies. I posted on the 12 step forum too and got the same support 🤗 This meeting isn't my usual one and it's hard to get to as it coincides with school pick up, I went this week as my daughter was with her dad so by the time I get back there it I'll prob be 3 or even 4 months sober! God willing. I will put the chip away safe for 2 more weeks and celebrate then x x
Old 06-01-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
My advice is to ask the lady to be your sponsor ASAP.

Then work the 12 Steps with her.

Continue reading our literature.

Keep going to meetings and trying to work with other drunks.

And don't worry about the chip hiccup.

If it continues to bother you, though, give it back to the group with an explanation - and expect a lot of love and support.

We all make mistakes.

Congrats on deciding to pursue AA.

God and AA (which I believe to be an instrument of God) have saved my life.
Hi SoberCah,

Thanks for your reply. I am really loving AA and my last binge was so awful I really didn't know if I was going to make it through the night and I prayed so hard to God to help me and I felt His presence that night and my prayers were answered. So I know exactly who my HP is. I was meant to go to a meeting this am and got my times mixed up but went to one this evening instead and the lady I wanted as a sponsor was there and I did ask her but she said she already had a couple of sponsee's and one is going through her Step 4 and she didn't want to take anything away fron her. She was really lovely and gave me her number and said to call her anytime and said she would help me find someone so although I was disappointed I didn't feel rejected and understood and I am proud of myself for having the courage to ask. So I will keep looking but will take your advice, keep going to meetings, read AA literature (I read the daily readings here too and also have an AA app on my phone) and of course participate online here. I know if I take another drink I may not be as lucky ad I have been and I have realised that after all the times I had wished myself dead that I actually do want to live and to live sober.

So grateful for your support x x
Old 06-01-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Is there any chance one of her sponsees can take you on? If she is a good sponsor she will be teaching her ladies how to sponsor and will ecourage them.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
What Gottalife said!

And, it's interesting to me that your AA group gives 2mo chips. It's 30 days then 90 days then 9 mo then a year for us.

"Be grateful for the chips you hold" as the saying goes. Keep going!
August, for my first year, one of the meetings I attended gave out a chip for each month for 12 months. I thought it was great and was truly some more motivation to keep going. I wanted all 12 of those chips!!!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is good

There are no coincidences.

It seems to me this chip came to you in beautiful timing with love and support from a group you may not be at for a while.

These kind of signs from my Higher Power happen all the time. I pray for eyes to see and ears to hear His guidance in my life.

Thank you, God/Universe/Great Spirit
Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No biggie! Congrats on 6 weeks!! Keep up the good work!
Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's really not a big deal. Counting days is for you, not other people. Be sure to get a sponsor, it can make sobriety so much easier and more pleasant. Congrats on six weeks!