Notices

First hand medical detox people chime in!!!

Old 05-31-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First hand medical detox people chime in!!!

Coming up on my date to enter a medical detox and I am so scared!! I haven't been 24hrs sober in 3yrs!! I cannot quit on my own and the withdrawals are too intense. I have extreme anxiety that isn't helping also.

Who has first hand experience with medical detox? I hope that it will get me over that "hump" and into a new life of sobriety. I'm a damn nut case when it comes to my anxiety....hopefully I won't be able to google search anything while I'm in there haha
Old 05-31-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by csilvers1984 View Post
Coming up on my date to enter a medical detox and I am so scared!! I haven't been 24hrs sober in 3yrs!! I cannot quit on my own and the withdrawals are too intense. I have extreme anxiety that isn't helping also.

Who has first hand experience with medical detox? I hope that it will get me over that "hump" and into a new life of sobriety. I'm a damn nut case when it comes to my anxiety....hopefully I won't be able to google search anything while I'm in there haha
Getting detoxed was my biggest fear before I entered treatment.

I mentioned it to the addictionologist, and he told me that he had detoxed 5,000 people and that he could detox me.

There was not much to it at all.

They took great care of me to gently guide me through the process.

I commend you for your courageous decision.

Please keep us posted.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have experience with medical detox, but you are doing the right thing by seeking medical support. I hope it goes well for you.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have been to the hospital involuntarily during detox because of my insistence on trying to do it on my own. You are making a very good choice to do it the right way first. What kind of facility are you going to? Perhaps calling them directly to ask what to expect might help alleviate your fears?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Getting detoxed was my biggest fear before I entered treatment.

I mentioned it to the addictionologist, and he told me that he had detoxed 5,000 people and that he could detox me.

There was not much to it at all.

They took great care of me to gently guide me through the process.

I commend you for your courageous decision.

Please keep us posted.
Thank you! And yes it's the scariest part of my new look on life. I know how dependent my body and mental health are on alcohol. Where was this detox facility you mentioned?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I have been to the hospital involuntarily during detox because of my insistence on trying to do it on my own. You are making a very good choice to do it the right way first. What kind of facility are you going to? Perhaps calling them directly to ask what to expect might help alleviate your fears?
I know how my body reacts when it doesn't get the right amount of alcohol. It's worse at night when I'm not busy. Last night I tried beer vs vodka and I threw up. I mixed a screwdriver and BAM I was ok? So I know a lot is mental for me but my body also has to be happy.

I'm going to a inpatient medical detox that's is 5-7days(I wish it was longer) and I've already been in contact with them too. I think most of my problem is health anxiety and my fear of dying. Which is funny bc I've lived like I was immortal. The detox center is part of the local hospital. I've already received my medical records from my last ER visit. Hopefully they will treat me as high risk and take care of me.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It has been over 10 years for me, but I did an inpatient medical detox for six days. They are all different when it comes to what you are allowed to bring inside, like laptops, phones, etc. They want your focus to be solely on recovery.

I was treated very well. The staff were very kind. The food was really good, and they check your vitals several times a day. There are classes/meetings during the day. To be honest, I didn't really want to leave.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
It has been over 10 years for me, but I did an inpatient medical detox for six days. They are all different when it comes to what you are allowed to bring inside, like laptops, phones, etc. They want your focus to be solely on recovery.

I was treated very well. The staff were very kind. The food was really good, and they check your vitals several times a day. There are classes/meetings during the day. To be honest, I didn't really want to leave.
That's what I need! I need to be checked on frequently to ease my mind. Some sedation would hurt.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

During intake, they will determine what meds would be helpful. Also, if you are currently taking medically prescribed meds, you should bring them with you and let them know. That way, whatever meds they prescribe won't interact with what you are currently taking.

Where I was, they had activities throughout the day to keep us busy. We weren't allowed laptops or phones, but they had phones available to use for 10 minutes a couple of times a day when we weren't in class.

My recommendation is to throw yourself into it. Go to the classes, learn the tools of how to handle cravings when you get out. There is a lot of good information that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many medical detoxes I'm, um, sort of ashamed and proud to say, at the same time. Dunno. No not proud. I'll take that back. But it is what it is.

Well it'll be a heck of a lot more comfortable, not to mention safe, to have help. It aint fun and depending on the place it can get uncomfortable for a few days but you'll get through. Bring your own pillow and blanket if they let you, lots of comfy clothes. And just do it.

Everyone is different. You can hit me with an elephant tranquilizer and I won't go down. Others sleep like babies on the meds. We're all different.

You're doing the right thing. Don't be scared. Trust the process.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

#1 for going the right way with a medical detox! Though keep in mind, this is only to get you safely out of the most dangerous physical point.
I would make sure to have them transfer you into an inpatient rehab afterwards, or at a minimum, an intensive outpatient.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They do vary a bit but one thing they are consistent on. They won't let you die. I recommend you taper as much as you can. The less you are drinking when you go in the easier it will be. Good luck and congrats on the decision!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You guys are great! I've worried and worried about it. I'm going to try and make it happen next week. I still have to move all of my things into storage and pay bills up. (Lease runs out in June)

Ugh I'm so excited!! I'm tired of the health issues,mental health issues and all around wasting my life with alcoholism.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris

I think a professional detox is the safest place for any of us to be.
You'll be OK

D
Old 05-31-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've tried to taper and I do ok during the day. But my anxiety is so bad right now. My mind just keeps racing. I get worse towards the evening and night when it's time for bed. That's usually when I'll drink myself to sleep. I hate this feeling of dependency!!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Chris, I've done medical detox a couple of times and it is WAY better than doing it alone. Be relieved, not afraid.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, just try to relax when you are there, I didn't talk to anyone for a day or so but after a couple of days I was relaxed and talked to other patients, you'll find one or 2 that you feel ok with. There's going to be people at all sorts of crossroads in their addictions so keep your own peace if people are acting up, it happens.

Just rest for the first few days, there might be some group activities, but not a heavy schedule, it's primary care, they will look after you and help with anxieties.

Take in some things to read, magazines, a favourite book, you might not feel up to it, but it's good to have some familiar things with you.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had a medical detox. It was five days duration. They checked vitals often, gave short term benzos to reduce the anxiety, I felt quite safe there.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The feeling safe part is a lot of my reasoning to go medical for my detox. I know the dangers of alcohol detox (read the horror stories).

The trouble I have now is I can't seem to taper off while I'm in transition and getting ready to leave. It's so scary bc I feel like I'm trying and then I feel like I'm not by continuing to drink!!

Thank you guys for all of the kind words. I am packing my apartment this weekend and hopefully be in detox this upcoming week!!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You've only got a few days to go, over here in the UK if we are put on the list for detox we are told to continue drinking. I tried to taper but I'm an alcoholic so that's kind of the problem!

On the morning I went in I didn't have a drink and it took 2 hours by train and taxi to get to the detox unit, I barely made it I was shaking so bad, they immediately gave me a big dose of librium.

Others were turning up practically drunk.

Don't wait for things to happen with the detox, make sure you have a place. Call them.

There was a 5 or 6 week waiting list where I went, but they said if I could go in on 24 hours notice I could take a cancellation, so mid bender I got the phone call, fcking hell what a panic, packing, drinking, drinking, packing, but I dropped everything and got there the next day and once there it was a relief, a sense of "finally, I am here, I am done, I need help".