Notices

Noone believed me

Old 05-28-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Noone believed me

I honestly hadn't drunk. And at the sunday meeting they believed the chest pains and high blood pressure was caused by withdrawals. I don't know if I can keep going. I was 9 days off and they didn't believe me. Just because they're all addicts as well they are presuming I am a liar. Not going back click it.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Look, you've earned that chair.
Fu#k what they think...if you need that place keep going, don't let them get to you.. When I land in a meeting where I need to be- there isn't anyone short of Jesus Christ himself that could get me out of that chair.

If you can find a better meeting, then bail. Just don't let them drive you out because of their sickness.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you seen a doctor to find out what the cause of your symptoms might be sweetichick? Whether or not other poeple believe you doesn't really matter. If you believe in yourself then you can go far.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you reconsider sweetichick.

Alcoholics are humans too - we make mistakes - all of us.

Try and not let it rent space in your head.

D
Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I honestly hadn't drunk. And at the sunday meeting they believed the chest pains and high blood pressure was caused by withdrawals. I don't know if I can keep going. I was 9 days off and they didn't believe me. Just because they're all addicts as well they are presuming I am a liar. Not going back click it.
I had a recent quit (before this last one) in which my blood pressure was still skyrocketing nearly two weeks into sobriety. They were checking it at the outpatient rehab I attended. They even sent me to urgent care one day, because it was 180/100. I was about a week sober that day.

Nine days out, you very well could still have withdrawal.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got accused of stealing a big book once.

The guy was really pissed off

Of course I hadn't but the experience was unnerving

I decided to stay away from the guy but not the meeting.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post

If you can find a better meeting, then bail. Just don't let them drive you out because of their sickness.
This reminded of a practice I had when drinking. If it got too uncomfortable, I moved to another locale. Only ever made one mistake with that, and that was taking me with me. Pretty soon all my problems followed along.

When I first got sober, I had something of a credibility problem. I well remeber my sister giving me a serve saying she was absolutely certain that I was not sincere about getting sober. This wasnt an off the cuff remark, it was a 30 minute diatribe of everything I had ever done wrong in her opinion. A lot of people were watching, expecting me to fail. Not that they were being nasty, it was just based on their experience.

The AA groups I was attending were probably simlar to most others around the world. There were at that time a good number of newcomers, there were some people there for the social aspect, there were some folks struggling with recovery, there was the occasional predator, and quite a few recovered folk.

I don't remember a single one of them ever doing or saying anything to me that wasn't out of the best of intentions. Nobody wanted to hurt me, they all wanted to help. Perhaps one or two might have gone about it the wrong way. I suppose that could have happened, but if it did it has been long forgotten. What I have never forgotten was the very loving way they treated me, welcoming me into their homes even. I looked like the wild man of Borneo, and was completely mad, so they didn't take me on to enhance their social standing. In fact I wouldn't have been seen dead with me.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you maybe looking for a reason to stop your quit?? I only say this as I have done exactly the same a hundred times over. It's THEM, pointing my finger, not me. Glug glug.

My guilt on someone elses shoulders.

It doesn't matter what others think, its what we do that matters.

Nice days is great, keep building on that.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have only drunk 4 bottles of wine in the past two weeks. My sponsor was quite rude to me today. She's easily swayed by others opinions. My parents want me to stay away at least till my blood pressure is sorted out. Health first before AA.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have only drunk 4 bottles of wine in the past two weeks. My sponsor was quite rude to me today. She's easily swayed by others opinions. My parents want me to stay away at least till my blood pressure is sorted out. Health first before AA.
You shouldn't be drinking anything, and from your past posts it sounds like you are quick to point a finger at anything on a dime and run right back to the bottle.
It sounds like you have a good sponsor, but perhaps they are just concerned from past actions that I think many around here have noticed as well.
There are convenient/urgent cares you can walk into anytime. I would be sure to do that today.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I resent that comment I have always been completely honest with my sponsor. I am not pointing the finger at anyone. They are all pointing at me. I am nearly 51. And my blood pressure has gone down already. I am not going to die of a heart attack.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to learn one of many lessons in recovery,
and one being that I definitely don't have any
control over what people think or say about
me.

All that I was and still am is, taking care
of my own stuff. Keeping my own side
of the street clean, so to speak. Taking
care of my own recovery and being
responsible for my own thoughts and
actions.

What others think or say about me
is their own business. Sure I may not
like it, however it is still none of my
concern.

I have enough on my plate than to be
consumed with people, places or things
that don't go my way or to my liking.

A lot of the time, whatever is going
on with them is actually just that. I
it's not up to me to take their inventory.

My own inventory is a list long already
and im having to learn how to shorten
it as it is, then to be worried what they
think or say about me.

I learned that in order to be healthy,
happy and sober in my own life and skin,
I had to distance myself from others,
including family. Sure, ive made some
enemies along the way and folks that
don't understand, but still, In order to
remain sober and out of my addiction,
there have been a many a things I have
needed to do and still do today to be
successful in my own recovery and life.

Take care of you and continue to learn
lessons in recovery is top priority right
now and that is a tall order to fill as you
move forward in achieving a healthy, happy,
honest way of life.

You are that important.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I resent that comment I have always been completely honest with my sponsor. I am not pointing the finger at anyone. They are all pointing at me. I am nearly 51. And my blood pressure has gone down already. I am not going to die of a heart attack.
Take a step back and think about it from their perspective Sweetichick. Drinking 4 bottles of wine over the past 2 weeks is pretty much full-on drinking by most people's standards. In your initial post of this thread, you say "I honestly hadn't drunk" and then you tell us you drank 4 bottles of wine? We all get it - we are alcoholics too. But you are going to have to put a little more effort into stopping drinking before you can expect people to trust you. It may not seem "fair", but that's just the way the world works.

The title of your post is "no one believed me". Would you believe you? That' doesn't mean you can't change of course - many of us did. But going to AA meetings is only a very small part of what AA really is.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 05-29-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when im honest about whats going on what other people believe doesnt bother me.
theres people that dont believe ive been sober 13 years.
doesnt bother me.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi sweetichick. Forgive me, but others before me here are bang on - I'm afraid that 4 bottles of wine still counts as drinking. My parents also wanted me to stay away from alcohol. So did my true friends, my doctor, my workmates and my partner. And as far as I was concerned they could go whistle - I convinced myself they all knew nothing and were plotting against me. Conspiring to keep me from the "good life". It was only when I decided myself that I needed to kick it into touch that the good times started to roll. Why wait until your blood pressure sorts itself before starting recovery - be that AA, private counselling or whichever method works for you?

It's solely in your power to make a plan and stop. Wishing you well. x
Old 05-29-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hope that you are getting your chest pain and high blood pressure issues checked out, sweetichick.

For us alcoholics, drinking is simply unwise and potententially dangerous, no matter the quantity. Even one drink can lead us down the wrong path rather quickly. Complete abstinence has to be our goal and practice, every day.

I don't utilize AA but I can only imagine that people call it as they see. A racing and pounding heart was one of my 3:00 am daily withdrawal treats. Somewhat elevated blood pressure was, also. I imagine that some of those at the meeting recognize that in themselves, too (therefore, some suspicion on their part).
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nez

Elephants by their very nature, are simply that, they are elephants. They are not inherently good, nor are they inherently bad. They are simply elephants. Anything beyond that is strictly my perception. If I look for the harm that elephants do, I can find it. If I look for the positive attributes of elephants, I can find them. It is my choice on what I look for.

Looking for the harm, usually results in me being restless, discontent, and leads to resentments. Looking for the positive, usually results in serenity and peace. Before I make my choice on what to look for, I need to pay careful attention to who has ownership of the resulting mental effect that takes place in my cranium. Spoiler alert...it ain't the elephants.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sweetichick, my suggestion would be to go an Urgent Care place today to find out about the chest pains and high blood pressure. I think that you can work on your sobriety at the same time as working on your health issues. In fact, that would be ideal.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sweeti, here's a thought.

Instead of looking for reasons to be pissed at AA, just focus 100% on your quit and your sobriety.

Whatever that means.

Honestly how I felt about AA or sober recovery or any other outside influence mattered very little to me at the outset because I had to put all my energy, all my internal work into getting sober. I batted away the AV all day and night. I fought like hell. It was and still is the fight of my life.

Take what you want and leave the rest, but don't let your frustration get wrapped up in your number one priority. Your sobriety.

If it's been nine days since your last drink, keep going. One day at a time.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I honestly hadn't drunk. I was 9 days off and they didn't believe me.
I have only drunk 4 bottles of wine in the past two weeks.
One of the first big steps in sobriety is to be honest with your support network and be honest with yourself. I know this might not make me popular but the above does intimate that you are not being honest, so the reaction from others seems valid to me. We alcoholics don't like to be found out and throw our toys out of the pram when we are found out and then called out on it. If you knew you hadn't lied I am sure you would be able to brush off what these people said more easily.

Saying all that as a lot of people eluded to also what others think of you doesn't matter.