Notices

On a new med....

Old 05-02-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

On a new med....

Dr. prescribed Wellbutrin for my anxiety/depression.
It's only day 2 but so far, no side effects.
I've been having a REALLY bad time with stress/anxiety lately - due to moving, my job, family moving across the country, alcohol, and of course just the every day anxiety and depression.
I did something that could have made me lose my job.
Once I explained to my manager my issues, she understood more but it's still making me sick thinking about it.
Does any job actually understand the need for a "personal" day?

I'm really hoping these new meds clear up my fogginess.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would start seeing a therapist if you currently aren't, and of course get rid of the booze if you haven't already.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SSRI's don't work very well when mixed with alcohol. You have plenty of support on SR.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

I don't have any booze or anything like that.
I was seeing a counsellor, she thought I was fine and that we had nothing to talk about so she let me go.
I absolutely cannot afford to see a one where you have to pay (this one was through my EAP).
Basically, I'm doing okay but my anxiety/depression is horrible. All my eyelashes fell out and I keep picking at my fingers so they are bleeding all the time.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope the new meds work for you Anxioius - keep in mind that a lot of them can take several weeks, even months to start working.

I'd also recommend speaking with a counselor if you can. They are a lot cheaper per hour than a medical doctor and most have sliding scale fee rates. You might even have access to counseling for free through your place of work if you wanted to check.

I am diagnosed with and have struggled with Anxiety for many years, and for me at least meds were more of a bandaid for the symptoms than a cure for the real problem. I still do see a counselor occasionally, but I learned a lot of non-med techniques over the years to really help minimize my anxiety - exercise, diet, reducing caffeine and sugar intake, meditation, mindfulness, getting enough sleep to name a few.

It's also important to remember I think that everyone gets anxiety - it is a normal and expected response that our bodies have. Some of us are just much more sensitive and have heightened/lengthened responses. But there are many ways to reduce both.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by apollo986 View Post
SSRI's don't work very well when mixed with alcohol. You have plenty of support on SR.
Wellbutrin is not an SSRI, but this concept applies to pretty much all psych meds.

Wellbutrin is an “activating” antidepressant and for some can worsen anxiety, but this usually abates as your body adjusts to it. Work closely with your psychiatrist if you can. It was a godsend for me.

Scott makes a very good point...there are a lot you can do for anxiety that is non-medication. Again a psychiatrist can help you here, and should be covered by nearly any insurance you may have.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do a mixture of the above responses for my anxiety. I take a low dose SSRI but also had a counsellor, some therapy and try to practice mindfulness. The medication evens me out enough to try to focus on the issues. I've been on it 2 years, it works much better now that I'm alcohol free! As others have said, it can take a few weeks to feel the benefits.
Take care.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

I know everyone seems to be against meds but I’ve tried many things already:
I go to the gym and run 5km 4 times a week. Plus outdoor exercise.
Good diet. Little caffeine or sugar.
Counsellor.
Doctor.
Meditation.

I’d rather be on meds than continue to suffer.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suggest hitting AA meetings, where I found my anxiety and depression lessened. The support is invaluable.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Dr. prescribed Wellbutrin for my anxiety/depression.
It's only day 2 but so far, no side effects.
I've been having a REALLY bad time with stress/anxiety lately - due to moving, my job, family moving across the country, alcohol, and of course just the every day anxiety and depression.
I did something that could have made me lose my job.
Once I explained to my manager my issues, she understood more but it's still making me sick thinking about it.
Does any job actually understand the need for a "personal" day?

I'm really hoping these new meds clear up my fogginess.
Trying to get one's meds "dialed in" takes a lot of patience.

You get the side effects (and none of them are fun) immediately and the therapeutic effect, if any, 4 - 6 weeks after you start them.

Good luck with your efforts on the new med, amigo.