Notices

Will my liver/body/mind ever recover?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will my liver/body/mind ever recover?

Hello everyone!
First of all, thank you for sharing your stories which gave me courage to seek help.
From your own experience, how long, on average, it takes for your liver/body/mind to recover after quitting drinking? Will the feeling of guilt and anxiety ever go away?
Thank you in advance for your comments and for lending a helping hand to those in need of your wisdom and support.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My anxiety calmed down day by day and by about week 6 i really noticed my thinking was becoming clearer and i felt the overwhelming guilt, self doubt, confusion lifting. Weirdly it felt like my thinking was become "adult".

Physically i have slept better since very early on (now 16 weeks sober) but i have also needed a lot of sleep. I think its the way the body starts to repair and rebuild. Ive been really taking care of my vitamin and mineral supplements. The damage done by years of drinking doesnt go away overnight but the body is remarkable in its response to a healthier life.

Wishing you well
Old 04-27-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you soberista for your reply. Congrats on 16 weeks sober! Great example for someone like me 👍🏻
My main concern is the overwhelming, sometimes even paralyzing, feeling of guilt for all those years of damaging my health and disappointing people I love the most. I cannot get over that just yet but I’m trying, I promise
Stay strong and keep inspiring others!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberista View Post
My anxiety calmed down day by day and by about week 6 i really noticed my thinking was becoming clearer and i felt the overwhelming guilt, self doubt, confusion lifting. Weirdly it felt like my thinking was become "adult".

Physically i have slept better since very early on (now 16 weeks sober) but i have also needed a lot of sleep. I think its the way the body starts to repair and rebuild. Ive been really taking care of my vitamin and mineral supplements. The damage done by years of drinking doesnt go away overnight but the body is remarkable in its response to a healthier life.

Wishing you well
^^^^This, and welcome Kat!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

You seem to looking for sure things, for guarantees. There aren't many guarantees in this human life we've been given, except that we're all gonna end up dead at the end, no matter what! But until then, we can maximize the good things by honoring our bodies and our spirits, by treating them with the respect they deserve. A lot of good can come out of that, out of the decision to never drink again. That's the track to be on.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
You seem to looking for sure things, for guarantees. There aren't many guarantees in this human life we've been given, except that we're all gonna end up dead at the end, no matter what! But until then, we can maximize the good things by honoring our bodies and our spirits, by treating them with the respect they deserve. A lot of good can come out of that, out of the decision to never drink again. That's the track to be on.
/\Well said. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me everything got better. It’s slow going at times but most things in my life have improved with sobriety. Hang in there and stay with it.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
For me everything got better. It’s slow going at times but most things in my life have improved with sobriety. Hang in there and stay with it.
/\sounds encouraging. 👍🏻 Thank you!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was really starting to notice the physical and mental benefits at around 2 months. I still had random emotional highs and lows though for another few months. The pink cloud can be great. Sleeping for me was all over the place. However, I generally need much less sleep now than my drinking days when I was trying to recover. Anxiety did diminish a good amount by 1st month. The guilt? That started dissipating after my 5th step. By the time I got to amends I was even able to forgive myself. Never thought it could happen.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't know how long it took my body to repair itself, but I started feeling decent at around 3 months. By 6 months, better yet, and by a year, felt quite normal and healthy again.

My favorite part of living sober is the good sleep I get, and waking up feeling good every morning.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomicBlue View Post
I was really starting to notice the physical and mental benefits at around 2 months. I still had random emotional highs and lows though for another few months. The pink cloud can be great. Sleeping for me was all over the place. However, I generally need much less sleep now than my drinking days when I was trying to recover. Anxiety did diminish a good amount by 1st month. The guilt? That started dissipating after my 5th step. By the time I got to amends I was even able to forgive myself. Never thought it could happen.
/\thank you for your reply. It gives me much needed hope.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Don't know how long it took my body to repair itself, but I started feeling decent at around 3 months. By 6 months, better yet, and by a year, felt quite normal and healthy again.

My favorite part of living sober is the good sleep I get, and waking up feeling good every morning.
/\sometning to look forward to. thank you!
Old 04-28-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

EVERYTHING in your life will get better, but only if you work at it and stay sober. I was very skeptical when folks here told me that. Turns out that living sober has been beyond my wildest dreams. Life still has its down times, but I know I can deal with things with a clear head and make it through. Stick with it and you'll see it for yourself.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can’t wait for that day when I look at myself in the mirror without feeling guilty for drinking in secret and forgiving myself for causing heartache to my family. Can’t wait for my body to stop aching and for my thoughts to become happy ones.
Thank you everyone one for the words of encouragement and for sharing your experiences here. It helps me to know that I’m am not alone and gives me strength to stay on the right pass. Cannot thank you enough for your kindness and understanding! 😊
Old 04-28-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kat

You will feel better again I promise - and thats kinda a double edged sword in a way cos it gets us to thinking that maybe we can drink again and it'll be different this time...

staying connected to a community like this is a great way not to forget the reality of what our addiction is.

D
Old 04-28-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Kat

You will feel better again I promise - and thats kinda a double edged sword in a way cos it gets us to thinking that maybe we can drink again and it'll be different this time...

staying connected to a community like this is a great way not to forget the reality of what our addiction is.

D
Absolutely! Staying connected is the way! Thank you, Dee.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
EVERYTHING in your life will get better, but only if you work at it and stay sober. I was very skeptical when folks here told me that. Turns out that living sober has been beyond my wildest dreams. Life still has its down times, but I know I can deal with things with a clear head and make it through. Stick with it and you'll see it for yourself.
Feeling optimistic today! Thank you! 😊
Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post

“Everything” part is truly inspiring. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
^^^ This.

Also, everyone is different. I was VERY sick when I quit and it took me a long time to heal "completely" - and my body is now 41 yrs old (I am 26 mo sober) so that means a lot to me as I feel like I now just deal with regular human stuff, and probably LESS than I would now if I had been sober all of my thirties.

Here's a great article we often share, on PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptom) - www.digitaldharma.net - look under the tab PAWS. I am one of those who took a year ish to truly see my body bounce back and from my experience, after going through all (and more) of the extended withdrawal described here, it was more than worth it. Another great resource is the book Living Sober- it gives a good overview of what the first year of sobriety is often like, for lots of us. Again, I was a very sick person whose liver dr told me I had a year, 18 mo to live if I didn't quit; that is what finally got me DONE with drinking forever.

The MOST important thing is not to drink- ever. And, I would respectfully add, work a program hard to build a life of recovery not just sobriety. Best to you.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
^^^ This.

Also, everyone is different. I was VERY sick when I quit and it took me a long time to heal "completely" - and my body is now 41 yrs old (I am 26 mo sober) so that means a lot to me as I feel like I now just deal with regular human stuff, and probably LESS than I would now if I had been sober all of my thirties.

Here's a great article we often share, on PAWS - look under the tab PAWS. I am one of those who took a year ish to truly see my body bounce back and from my experience, after going through all (and more) of the extended withdrawal described here, it was more than worth it. Another great resource is the book Living Sober- it gives a good overview of what the first year of sobriety is often like, for lots of us. Again, I was a very sick person whose liver dr told me I had a year, 18 mo to live if I didn't quit; that is what finally got me DONE with drinking forever.

The MOST important thing is not to drink- ever. And, I would respectfully add, work a program hard to build a life of recovery not just sobriety. Best to you.
Congrats on 26 months of sobriety! I will most def read that article along with with the book you have suggested. I’m looking for anything that can help me deal with the emotional aspect of my struggle to forgive myself and never to drink again. I’ve helped others to get through some tough times and overcome adversity, and now is the time I help myself to live a fuller and a happier life (I have all the reasons to). I’m blessed with amazing, loving and supporting family and they deserve “the best version of me”! Thank you, August, for taking the time to reply to my question and for leading others by example! Best of everything to all of you reading this thread. You are all strong, wonderful, caring and compassionate people deserving of admiration and happiness 😁👏🏻👍🏻