Notices

Decided to quit

Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to quit

Hi everyone so decided to stop drinking altogether got my thiamine 100mg 3times a day to take am on day 2 no alcohol 😃 I drank 3times a week doesn’t sound much but was the amount of units I was consuming 67 units 😐!! I suffer from anxiety and it wasn’t helping was making things lot worse! Feeling emotional is this common when stop drinking? Also my blood pressure was bit high they said could be my anxiety and drinking making it like this Howlong for withdrawal as was drinking for 12 months. But got the clear head on now best choice I have made and I am sticking to it this time 👌🏻 Also going to stop smoking
Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Scottishlad,

Good for you on getting to day 2 - that's great! I think you will find that your anxiety and other physical symptoms will resolve themselves fairly quickly. Emotions can take longer but that makes sense because we put a cork in them for so long, no?

Do stick to it - the other way is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

O
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

😃

Thanks for the reply 😃 suppose the mental side of it will resolve its self going to join the local gym on Monday use to lift weights a lot before getting myself caught up in this crap!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

That sounds like a great idea, Scottishlad! Alcohol isn't doing any favors for us, that's for sure. I bet your life is greatly enhanced by quitting, that's definitely the right path to be on and stay on.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Decided to quit

Great. Now get a plan together to support that decision to quit.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lpg

Congrats on your decision to quit and your sober time Scottishlad. I think it's very normal to be emotional early on I know I was/still am but i have heard this is normal, we have been numbing our feelings for so long so it's only understandable they will feel more intense but it's good to feel them.
Excersice sounds like a great plan, also looking for support group for example AA, smart. I found AA to be a great support network. And of course posting plenty on sober recovery this place has been amazing for me and it's there anytime you need.
Keep yourself busy, being idol in my experience just gave my brain a chance to jump on the crazy train and overthink everything.
Good luck you can do it, it's worth It! I too am Scottish!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR scottishlad

Read around, see what others are doing to stay sober, ask as many questions as you like - glad you found us

D
Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on embracing a new chapter in your life. If you read a bit around this site, you will find lots of encouragement and suggestions to stay quit.

We are here for you! Enjoy lifting those weights.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR ScottishLad, I think you've made a great decision. And yes, feeling emotional at first is very common - your mind has a lot of adjusting to do, along with your body. I deal with anxiety too and mine was off the charts in the first days after I quit. Quitting definitely helped my anxiety overall though in the long term as well - and also allowed me to start addressing it directly.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

CONGRATS!

Good on the thiamine, it’s a huge deal to help protect against neurological damage both while drinking and in withdrawal.

The anxiety may increase as you go through detox and for a bit after. For me it got much better and continues to do so the longer I don’t drink. A doctor can help you manage the anxiety both now and going forward.

Weightlifting is a huge part of my recovery. There are a number of us regulars in the fitness forum in The Road to Summer thread, and most are weight training fairly heavily. Feel free to join!

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2018-a.html
Old 04-25-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

awesome scottish guy thats good news yeah excercise is a great antidote to anxiety and obviously not drinking goes a long way good job
Old 04-25-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, Scottishlad.

I thought I was calming myself down by drinking - but it was just the opposite. My anxiety was terrible. I'm much more able to cope with things sober. I definitely was emotional when I first quit - but it all settled down. You're doing great.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

😎

Thanks for all the reply’s 😁 will keep yous all updated on my progress/journey.. mind over matter 👌🏻
Old 04-28-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit drinking and I am very emotional. Right now ready to cry! But I knew it will get better. Gym is a great idea.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Scottishlad, I am a fellow Scot. Good luck in your recovery. There are a lot of folks on here with a lot of experience. Keep posting.