Notices

Back...

Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back...

Well i dredged up this account from my email address. It really has been since 2013 I have been on this. I suppose since 2013, I had it 'under control' more or less, doing some drinking when I had a weekend alone (GF was away) or I do a lot of travel for work. It started as thinking I am getting worse and worse hangovers, but recently with my GF away I just realized that I probably drank almost every night and twice needed to drag myself into the corner store when it opened to get a drink to kill the 'hangover'

Today is day 3 of some pretty crappy (but not totally debilitation) what I think are withdrawls. Wicked bad insomnia, I havent ate in over 30 hours (yes - lots of fluids and salty broth to stave of dehydration) my head feels in the clouds and been pretty sweaty non-stop.

I have read a lot of the stories and what to expect in the next few days, but any tips specifically for the insomnia? I know alcohol interrupts sleep - and that probably played a role in the amped up drinking this last bout. I occasional take melatonin. I am thinking of something stronger like nyquil or something else OTC.

Day 3...I told myself I am making it to day 10, and its probably going to be a rough ride until then.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back ringoffire, glad to hear you've made the decision to quit again.

Regarding insomnia during withdrawals, unfortunately it's one of those things that you just have to deal with for a while. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so when you quit it throws your brain chemistry for a loop - literally. As addicts we have a tendency to want instant gratification, even in recovery - but you have to simply give it time.

OTC sleep aids themselves can become addicting, and as you know Nyquil contains alcohol. Day 3 is a great step forward, but you are still likely in the acute withdrawal phase...which will end, but it will be a rough ride. And as much as it would be nice to take a pill that will make it all go away, there really isn't one that doesn't also come with consequences of it's own.