Notices

Alcoholic, Need to Stop.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic, Need to Stop.

Hi all,
I am new here. I got clean from pills three years ago, then found alcohol. Within one year I have began drinking alcoholically. I need to detox and am scared to death of having a seizure. Have any of you successfully detoxed at home with librium or something else? I understand it's advised to go into a detox but without going into details that just isn't an option for me right now. I would love any experience that any of you have with detoxing at home.

Thank you and glad to have found this supportive site!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome. I have no experience to share, but I wanted to leave you this link from the alcohol detox part of this site's posted articles:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/addict...eatment/detox/
Old 03-10-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Plenty of people can simply cold turkey at home, though withdrawal is unpredictable. If you have someone that lives with you, or can stay with you for a few days just in case would be a very smart choice.
You also can go to your docs or ever a walk in clinic and let them know you want to do a home detox and they can prescribe you some withdrawal medications.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi JunieB (love that name)

I did outpatient detox through an Intensive Outpatient Program. For me, that was just one day at the clinic and I was done. Best way to detox, in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

At the end of about seven years of insane alcoholic drinking, I detoxed alone. Nothing more than the dreadful hangovers I had been experiencing. Within 24 hours of my last drink I was at an AA meeting, followed their suggestions and never drank again, no medication required.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everybody is different. I could never detox at home and tapering did not work at all. It could work perhaps for some people but bear in mind that I was told that there are about 2 kinds of detox you can die of, and I am not talking about overdosing, I am talking about withdrawal. You can die of alcohol detox and detox from meds such as Xanax. DTs can hit you even a week or so after starting to detox. And can be fatal.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, JunieB.

I don't have any experience with such a detox.

Could you call your doctor to discuss a medically supervised by detox?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Junie - welcome

if you can't go somewhere for a detox at least see your Dr before to try to detox at home.

It really is the safest way,

D
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have detoxed at home several times with Librium. Usually I can be back to work within 3 days. My dr. would put me on a 5 day taper of this med. You have to follow the prescribing info. correctly. Do not drink while on it!! Librium made me very tired so there was a lot of sleeping, which is much better than anxiety filled withdrawals. Also see if you can get someone to stay with you, just to be safe. Drink lots of fluids ie. Gatorade or something similar. Best wishes......this can be the last time you have to go through this...it is all up to YOU!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you can afford a doctor go see one. At least get professional advice.
Glad your here man. Just don't drink.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

Welcome. Definitely talk to your doctor and they should be able to guide you. I wouldn’t risk doing it completely alone.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some people have detoxed at home after consultation with a physician and likely a prescription for a benzodiazepine (Librium, Klonopin, Ativan, etc.). As you probably know, going cold turkey is potentially dangerous and definitely uncomfortable.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Usually you can check into your local ER to detox. Typically, as long as you're not suicidal/homicidal/wanting to harm anyone, you only spend a day or two unless other medical issues crop up.