Notices

work trip

Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

work trip

I will be going on a work trip next week and my traveling companion and I use to drink a lot. ... and enjoy it!.... I'm feeling a little anxious about wanting to drink when we get together again. It sure has helped reading posts today. I still have a little anxiety about it but it's better. She's a nice person and I know she will understand it's just that we have such a history of having fun traveling and drinking I don't want her to be disappointed.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If she's disappointed over you not drinking, she's not much of a friend. You are the only one who will be disappointed - if you drink. Stay true to yourself. If your friend is a true friend, she will understand.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find people actually spending time with me more when I am not drinking.
Turns out we weren't having as much fun as I thought we were.
If you're not ready to tell her whats actually going on you could just say you're on antibiotics or just not drinking right now. Most people really don't press beyond that.
I've had to distance myself from people whose only idea of fun is going out and getting wasted. Doesn't mean we can't be friendly, just we don't hang out.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stand strong in your recovery. You do not have to take care of your co-workers feelings. The only person that You Are obligated to take care of is yourself. Of course You Are nervous. I would be nervous too. You got this. You will come out stronger and not feeling disappointed in yourself, which is all that matters.
We are here for you.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Having fun drinking, enjoying drinking, was that why you quit?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful View Post
I find people actually spending time with me more when I am not drinking.
Turns out we weren't having as much fun as I thought we were.
If you're not ready to tell her whats actually going on you could just say you're on antibiotics or just not drinking right now. Most people really don't press beyond that.
This is true. It's always weird saying "I don't drink anymore", especially when it's that first time with an old drinking buddy. But really, what's the worst that could happen? Do you think she'll take you out back and beat you up? She'll most likely say "okay. let's grab a bite to eat I'm starving".

Most of my old drinking buddies were actually very impressed when I quit and told me so. You don't have to get into the reasons, and eventually you'll realize that this isn't a 'confrontation', it's simply a statement. Stay away from the hotel bar, spend a night in your room, and just generally do what you can to avoid any old habits. Good luck!