Notices

working sober instead of drunk

Old 02-03-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

working sober instead of drunk

Im having a struggle with some of the stuff I used to always do drunk, boring, monotonous, repetitious, work that was aways done after hours. I have been sober for 3 days short of 3 months and am about 50 hours behind on stuff I used to always keep up with. I go out and try to start working and get bored after a half hour and find an excuse to head back to the house. if I relapse this is the thing that will cause it. Im sure others have dealt with this how to deal with it? I tried music, then books on audio, nothing is working for me. this has got me worried.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Work work or work at home?
Old 02-03-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im self employed and run equipment out of my home shop so its the maintenance stuff I used to get done before the guys showed up in the morning
Old 02-03-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe it's time to see if you can hire someone for that? Sounds like its not challenging enough for you and you've lost interest because now you are capable of bigger things? I'm only saying this because of the language you used to describe the tasks, doesn't seem like you have any desire to do it any longer.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cruiser

It took me a few months to get my mojo back. It was annoying at the timne but now looking back I'm amaed my recuperation time from 20 years drinking was so short.

It will get better. The best healer is time IMO.

D
Old 02-03-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cruiser1911 View Post
Im having a struggle with some of the stuff I used to always do drunk, boring, monotonous, repetitious, work that was aways done after hours. I have been sober for 3 days short of 3 months and am about 50 hours behind on stuff I used to always keep up with. I go out and try to start working and get bored after a half hour and find an excuse to head back to the house. if I relapse this is the thing that will cause it. Im sure others have dealt with this how to deal with it? I tried music, then books on audio, nothing is working for me. this has got me worried.
ugh. Yeah. My house cleaning is not nearly as easy without the drinks during and after. My house is now not as clean. I'm still working that out. At some point the need to do it will outweigh the consequences of not doing it, plain and simple. My only other option is to work more hours to hire this stuff out but my work hours are too up and down for that. I hear you.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is interesting things to read about being in the flow, which is when we are at our happiest, and then there is the worst, which is boring repetitive work.

I find it very hard to do, but rather for it not to be done than drink over it.

And as Sassy says, at some point we will be forced to do it...
Old 02-04-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cruiser, I also own my business. I hired someone to do the mundane work I used to dread doing because it bored me so much. Mostly the paperwork things, bill pay, collections etc. turns out what took me several hours to get done (because it bored me), the person I hired did it in 2 hours a week. Delegate the mundane and use your creative skills to grow your business.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

final round thats what I need to do or just buckle down and grow a pair and do it. the nike commercial (just do it) the problem is its stuff I used to not mind and sometimes enjoyed . just turning the brain off and running hard facing for hours but I have had a year from hell and toward the end I decided to stop drinking. mainly I was feeling sorry for myself about how nothing is fun anymore when that not true either Im loving life again 90% of the time. I then went through and reread all my posts I DO NOT want to go through that crap again. thats the wonderful thing about this forum its saved and I can go through and see my progress just this is the next thing Im dealing with. and thank you all for the encouragement.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

dealt with it a wee bit. i really had to start disciplining myself. boring stuff always drove me bonkers- i wanted to do tasks/jobs/stuff that i wanted to do- not boring stuff.

working at changing my thinking while i did that helped. turning my attention to something else while i whittled away helped,too
Old 02-04-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

there is that discipline word again I hate that word. but most of my issues would be solved by that one word
Old 02-04-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol killed my drive and motivation. Maybe just a little time sober will get it back for you. I'm rooting for you.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

there is that discipline word again I hate that word. but most of my issues would be solved by that one word
i only dislike that word when its about me and my actions.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you relapse, I doubt that it will be because of your work.

You didn't mention any type of program of recovery that you are pursuing to stay sober.

Music and books are 2 of my favorite pastimes, but they don't keep me sober.

I hope that you consider wisely choosing and following a program of recovery.

It has "worked" for me - no pun intended - and I have been able to work at my employment for many, many years since I got sober.

I hope that you can as well, amigo.

Congrats on your impressive sober time.