Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If there not such a thing as alcohol induced psychosis there should be*

The good thing is I returned to normal - eventually. You can too Jimmie

D

*looks like there is:
https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289848-overview
wow, Dee, that article. So it wasn't just me, it's a thing with some alcoholics. I always felt flippant saying "it made me crazy" when what I was saying is no you don't understand, it *literally* made me crazy.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I always thought my father died from cirrhosis of the liver. I recently ordered a copy of his death certificate. The cause was Hepatic Encephalopathy.

Hepatic Encephalopathy:

Hepatic encephalopathy is a decline in brain function that occurs as a result of severe liver disease. In this condition, the liver cannot adequately remove toxins from the blood. This causes a buildup of toxins in the bloodstream, which can lead to brain damage.

Hepatic encephalopathy can be acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term). In some cases, a person with hepatic encephalopathy may become unresponsive and slip into a coma.

Acute hepatic encephalopathy develops because of severe liver disease. This condition mainly occurs in people with:

acute fulminant viral hepatitis: a severe type of viral hepatitis that comes on suddenly

toxic hepatitis: may be caused by exposure to alcohol, chemicals, drugs (recreational or prescription), or supplements

Reye’s syndrome: a rare and serious condition primarily seen in children that causes sudden swelling and inflammation of the liver and brain Acute hepatic encephalopathy may also be a sign of terminal liver failure.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your dad Suki.

D
Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Jimmie, should it really come as a surprise that pouring a depressant (alcohol) down our throats makes one feel depressed?

Yeah, constant use of alcohol does indeed make changes to our brain chemistry, and I believe it can manifest itself in forms of anxiety, depression, and anger.

The good news is that many of us can and do recover . . .
Old 01-30-2018, 09:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feldknocker View Post
I believe it can. I think I have had glimpses of it from time to time. In my case, acute anxiety and depression - which are already present - become simply overwhelming. I have no trouble understanding people who commit suicide while in the throws of alcoholism.
Any suicidal thought I have ever had was while drunk. Never crossed my mind sober. How terrifying that you could kill yourself in a false state, when the sober, not crazy part of you doesn't wish to die. It's horrifying.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I became psychotic during the last year or so.

I thought that i was going insane.

Treatment and AA has eliminated that concern.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimmieD View Post
I have also lost around 100 pounds in the last year or two and my alcohol tolerance has gone down a lot which doesn't make sense due to the amount I drink.
Have you seen a doctor? The weight loss would concern me. Makes me think of possible diabetes.

I too would be blacked out drunk off a few high ABV pints the last couple years of my drinking.

Welcome Jimmie and good luck
Old 02-03-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was absolutely nutty when drunk. It's part of why I was so humiliated in the mornings--I'd have vague memories of acting crayyyyyyyyzy. But then I'd try to defend myself in my mind, knowing there wasn't any way to defend some of the things I said (and the crazy things I'd think). So, yeah.

Eight months in and I LOVE that I feel sane, like, all the time.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had crazy panic attacks daily. As in, having to get up and walk out of meetings if I could. If I couldn't it was pure agony. I ended up leaving at lunch to steady with three drinks. Now, THAT was bad. I ended up resigning, because I couldn't take it.

No more panic attacks now. :-) Not one.

Oh, and I forgot how to spell. For real.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes megalomania sociopath for me.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When we first start drinking alcohol makes us high; but as the disease progresses it takes us down to terrible places. Alcohol is a depressant, after all.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
zjw

i was ******* crazy in the end. the final year i was slipping mentally and when i got sober to be honest ofr at least the first 6 months i was still slipping mentally a lot. I walked the razors edge of sanity all the time clinging desperately to keep my senses somehow. Someone should have stepped in and saved me from me but I think i was good enough at keeping everyone in the dark as to just how nuts i'd become.

when i think back on this time i honestly dont know how i crawled out of that hole alone. grace of god is all i can say.

so yeah. from my experience it can and will make you go nuts.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I had crazy panic attacks daily. As in, having to get up and walk out of meetings if I could. If I couldn't it was pure agony. I ended up leaving at lunch to steady with three drinks. Now, THAT was bad. I ended up resigning, because I couldn't take it.

No more panic attacks now. :-) Not one.

Oh, and I forgot how to spell. For real.
did i post this? lol reminds me of myself.