Notices

Lost my best friend today to alcoholism

Old 01-27-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree that you need some support right now. AA sounds like a very good plan, they will understand. You need support, hugs, the works.

Take care x
Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I’d did some checking and it looks like the soonest local meeting we have is Monday at noon so I’ll hit that one. My wife is making a big batch of lasagna tonight and we have sober friends coming over so that’ll be a big help. I’ve just been spending most of my day here just reading post after post trying to learn all I can.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Harley,

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I am glad you stayed sober, this is a wonderful way to honor your friend's memory.

❤️Delilah
Old 01-27-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Harley1973
I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. I lost my best friend as a result of this disease. In JAN 2005 I still think of him every day. I had some sober time when my friend passed but I remember getting that bottle of wine the same day I heard the news. "because that is what I do I drink" that was my whole identity. I drank my head off all weekend. Worst drunk of my life that weekend. The drinking really does amplify the loss the hurt. It really does. It stops the true grieving the growing that you will have to do. Please take good care of yourself. Your friend loves you and would want you to stay sober. xoxo
Old 01-28-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies. I’m still trucking along sober. The death of my friend has really put a fear of alcohol in me. Even if I wanted to drink I’d be to scared to do it after losing my friend to this disease.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't know that I fear it any more, though that is a very valid reaction when you are newly sober and especially after your loss.

It gets better - and fear (general life fear, too) goes away and is replaced by peace. One day at a time and soon you'll be healthier and much happier.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through right now.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss! I have walked in your shoes: Last year in July a very good friend of mine died of alcohol related causes. I had already been plagued by ailments caused by alcohol for a while, but that really broke the camel’s back.

I was like ‘F$ck you alcohol, you’ve killed my friend, we are done’. And that was it -it’s been six months now and I haven’t looked back. I cannot have a relationship with something that has caused so much grief in my life.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hang in there Harley. Stay strong and stay sober.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your loss Harley1973. I've lost both family and close friends to alcoholism. Please take care of your sobriety and look after yourself.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. I know someone at a local eatery who lost his best friend to this awful disease. He honors his friend by being the best person he can be, working on his sobriety, and helping others recover.

Honor your friend today and be kind to yourself. Let your feelings just be. Sometimes a good cry can be a truly helpful release vs stuffing them down. I know, easier said than done but in his memory give it a try.