Notices

Lost my best friend today to alcoholism

Old 01-26-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost my best friend today to alcoholism

I’ve only been out of a 7 day inpatient detox for 4 days and I just received a phone call that my best friend in the whole world died today from alcoholism. My emotions have already been all over the place as it is.... I’m fighting hard not to drink because that’s what I’m use to doing to mask my emotions...
Old 01-26-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss Harley.
Drinking on this would be like letting addiction win,.

Grief and loss are sad, but they're natural healthy reactions - don't run from them.

Honour your friend and stay sober.

D
Old 01-26-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it must be very hard. Hang in there man! Thank you for posting instead of just throwing it all away! I think your friend would want you to succeed.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Like Dee says please don't drink.
Look after yourself in other ways to deal with your grief.
Don't turn to booze.
Don't undo all the hard work you have done to get yourself to where you are now.
I wish you the best xx
Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We’ve been battling this addiction together for many years, I guesss I need to let this be one hell of a wake up call. I have managed to fight off the urge to drink, I’ve been binge eating Oreos and drinking Pepsi like crazy those are my main 2 go to items when I’m craving...

I feel guilty eating like a hog the day my best friend died but I’ve gotta take care of myself too.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss, Harley1973.

Now you get to be sober for yourself and your friend. The loss of his life can help you save your own, don't drink. I can't think of a better way to honor his memory.

Eat those Oreos and drink your Pepsi- no guilt- do what you need to do to stay sober.

Sending you strength and love.

L
Old 01-26-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry, Harley.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This disease is just a load of crap. I'm so sorry for your loss. God rest his soul. No more pain for him now. Stay strong and stay sober buddy. Here here for ya.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry for your loss Harley, glad you decided to come here for help too. Stay sober to honor your friend.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll pray you don't succumb Harley...you know you could be next if you do and you'll just pass even more pain onto others. Every day you stay sober will honor your friends memory. God bless you and keep you sober.

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
I’ve only been out of a 7 day inpatient detox for 4 days and I just received a phone call that my best friend in the whole world died today from alcoholism. My emotions have already been all over the place as it is.... I’m fighting hard not to drink because that’s what I’m use to doing to mask my emotions...
Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's pretty hard news to take so early in sobriety. You went to detox to safely get sober, don't throw it away over a drink.

Where you given any suggestions from them for your next steps? Any referrals to anyway for aftercare help?

Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sorry you lost your friend. Alcohol really is an evil thing for people like us. I'm pregnant and have been through two bereavements since quitting drinking and, honestly, not drinking made them easier to deal with than drinking. I never thought it would be like that but it is. Let your friend's death be, as you said, the ultimate wake up call.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you today Harley?

Never feel guilty for doing all you can to not drink.

Thinking of you xx
Old 01-27-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I made it through the night sober thank God. My emotions are a train wreck. This was my best friend, this morning was hard because we usually talk every morning and throughout the day checking on each other. We were struggling together. I’ve not felt this kind of pain since I lost my dad 3 years ago.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang on. Have some breakfast and maybe go out and do something. Lots of self-care today.

Alcohol is not the answer. You'll get through this. One day at a time. Sometimes it's one hour or one minute at a time, but you'll get through it.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

I'm sorry for your loss Harley. Hang in there and don't drink.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Harley. I'm sorry for what you have to go through right now. Your sobriety needs to be kept in check through this. You will stay sober and we are all here for you 24/7 Just ask and you shall receive I guarantee it.
Peace
TC
Old 01-27-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Please don't throw your new sobriety away. Hang on! You can honor your friend through sobriety. ((HUG))
Old 01-27-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just can’t help but feel guilty, I knew he was in trouble and on a bad bender but I had just got out of a impatient detox myself.. if I had just got off my lazy ass and went and checked on him I could’ve called the ambulance like I’ve done dozens of times before and saved him...
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh, Harley. This is not your fault. It was an event that was a long time coming. This is something that happens a LOT to chronic alcoholics.

Please don't blame yourself. Your mind is spinning partly because you are newly sober yourself.

This is exactly the type of situation that is helped by going to AA meetings until you get your feet under you. Can you call the local AA number and find a meeting? You'll be glad you did. I went to a lot of meetings in early days. I don't go any more but it is a good place to sit when you are newly sober and miserable. They will totally understand.