Rediscovering Hobbies?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Same here, on both counts.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by treeguy24 View Post
I used to ride dirt bikes and everyone told me you'll outgrow the 300 real early. Went with the 650 for my first street bike and no regrets.
Total newb, so i shpuld get a year at least out of the Yammie. Get it used and I should be able to sell it for at leaat close to what i paid if I want to go larger and/or move to a sport cruiser. Not into the track.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Really need this thread now

So thank you for posting.

The single biggest new hobby is swimming. It’s something I always wanted to do. I’ve always been an exerciser but I was a terrible swimmer. Flash forward seven months later and I’m doing laps like it’s no ones business.
It was a chicken egg thing. I didn’t stop drinking completely, but there’s no way I could have kept drinking and swam, either. You could call it a precursor to what is thus far just over three weeks without a drop, no exceptions.

As for other hobbies, it’s hard to know where to land. Alcohol takes so much time it feels like the possibilities are endless.

It makes me realize I drink to avoid how amazing life is....but that’s perhaps for another topic.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
zjw

i've done a lot of diff things. I got into kerosene lamps and starting gathering various parts for old ones and repairing them or rebuilding them. Sadly i know more then the average person shoudl know about kerosene heaters too now as well lol.

I have to keep someone occupied. I also woudl think back what did i like to do before i drank. Its a tough question. becuase I'm not sure that person new what they liked to do either due to years of abuse and bs so i duno.

I also noticed whenever i embarked on some new crazy idea i'd get made fun of by those around me for it and wanna quit but wouldnt.

So as a result I've settled in on running tho in the past i loved weight lifting running has me focus now.

I garden grow a huge garden and tend to my chickens too. (yeah vegan with chickens ) there fun tho.

and I play the bagpipes and chase my kids.

I got lots of other stuff i wanna get into but just no time. i wanna learn the violin id liek to weight lift in addition to my running. and i wanna learn how to play the uleann pipes.

lifes too short for all the stupid stuff i wanna do. back when i drank tho i coudlnt wait to end it all instead.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I garden grow a huge garden and tend to my chickens too. (yeah vegan with chickens ) there fun tho.
Yeah, the garden was huge with me. In fact, I'm doing more flower garden this year than veggies. I'm starting a miniature indoor garden to scratch the itch until spring. Used to think that gardening sober was boring. No- gardening drunk is unproductive and lacks creativity.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
zjw

try jeruselem artichokes they make a real pretty flower and you can eat the tuber roots and they keep coming back year after year. they grow super tall tho. I happen to know where you can get some to plant too hahaha if you want some let me know i got tons.

I'd liek to do that shelve system with trays and lights inside. and grow my herbs and wheat grass and such and all my sprouts. I have almost all the lights just need the shelves and all. But convincing my wife that i wanna put that in the kitchen is going to take some work lol.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I plan to rediscover some old hobbies and take up some new ones now that I’ve quit drinking.

Crafting, knitting etc.
Working out, possibly take up jogging again
Cooking(this one will be tough because wine was always involved)
Possibly writing

Some new hobbies I want to take up:

Painting
Rock climbing
Hiking
Photography
Traveling

I feel like the world opens up so many possibilities when your life and every activity doesn’t revolve around drinking