Old 01-06-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
lone wolf thank you
What for wiscsober?
Old 01-06-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
Be careful of that dude it can seriously wreck your liver. And yours is probably already not that great. Acromprosate would be a better alternative although it is used for cravings after you have detoxed and want to get sober. Its not a magic pill. Ive read some stories of people who were going to AA and couldn't understand it, they wanted to be sober but just couldn't get AA. Then they took acomprosate for a few weeks and they said it helped them understand wtf AA was about. It helped them with the mental fog.
Yes I did see the effects it can have on liver but it seems them results only occur when a user is giving too high a dose and from what I've read to believe, is that they don't administer it in such high dose anymore. Also the user has to report and be monitored be a nurse regularly.

But I will look into the other drug though cheers.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Well I don't hate alcohol at all. I love it but the idea I can go out and control my drink and wake up think by what a good night it was last night, is just impossible. Plus the hangovers last me days.

Yeah I think people frown upon anything that is wild these days. It annoys me but I won't get into insulting other groups of people in society lol
But I just think in this day and age we have no outlet for anything instinctual or impulsive, everything diverts it to either something destructive or it is shamed upon.

I think some people drink a lot but aren't reliant on it but then there are people that drink and probably are alcoholics but they still seem to drink in moderation just often.

How you today anyone?
Society is half the problem but we mustn't blame it and use it as an excuse, we are the problem. We are the joke.
There is those of us born into this world who are a little more sensitive than others, we know things, we see things for what they really are more than some others.
And it upsets us that we can't change them. So we punish ourselves with suffering.
Many alcoholics can stop easily in their early years, but refuse to accept what they are what they will become.
They don't want to stop.
We are constantly trying to figure out how to make the world better instead of how to make ourselves better.
And by making ourselves better we actually make the world better.
Strange stuff.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile

Yes I did see the effects it can have on liver but it seems them results only occur when a user is giving too high a dose and from what I've read to believe, is that they don't administer it in such high dose anymore. Also the user has to report and be monitored be a nurse regularly.

But I will look into the other drug though cheers.
But it is a chain, you are putting yourself in chains. This may work for a while but you can't take it forever one day the chains will come off.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Society is half the problem but we mustn't blame it and use it as an excuse, we are the problem. We are the joke.
There is those of us born into this world who are a little more sensitive than others, we know things, we see things for what they really are more than some others.
And it upsets us that we can't change them. So we punish ourselves with suffering.
Many alcoholics can stop easily in their early years, but refuse to accept what they are what they will become.
They don't want to stop.
We are constantly trying to figure out how to make the world better instead of how to make ourselves better.
And by making ourselves better we actually make the world better.
Strange stuff.
I tend to feel this way too. Funny you should say this because I was standing out the back and daydreaming about backpacking and what sort of emotions would build up on the way. I thought of the regrets I have, the fear of people seeing me for the wretched person I am as a drunk. I thought of standing at the top of a mountain and just screaming out the anger and frustrations from the depth of my gut.
I was thinking from a young age, I always just want to do good in the world and somewhere along the line I got lost and felt I just got trampled on by others and their mean ways.
Now I'm just figuring out whether that is a justified position to maintain or maybe I wasn't such as nice a person as I thought. I remember Bukowski saying in one of his books, he felt like other people had some secret that he didn't know of, as they seem to talk, get by and survive in a way he didn't know how to. This I can relate to alot.

Yes, defintely... well I don't think there is anything wrong with blaming, I think that is just a way of trying to determine cause and effect of how one feels. Yet, it can be destructive and defeatist if used as an excuse or not reconciled with.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

But it is a chain, you are putting yourself in chains. This may work for a while but you can't take it forever one day the chains will come off.
I don't know, maybe we are all in chains of some sort. Yet, it has to be a better chain than this one surely even if just a temporary one.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and sober, Lonewolf.

I've contributed elsewhere re the drug topic, so I will just say that I took Antabuse the first 90 days with success as it was just one tool and not a program for sobriety; I took acamprosate (campral) until about a month ago, as maintenance and never had a single physical craving for alcohol (I am going on 23 mo sober now). Drugs are just well-used, correctly followed additions to my foundation of AA and other tools for recovery.

Stay with us Lonewolf! Life is not easy at all times, hence sobriety is not always that way - but it is more than worth it.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

I've contributed elsewhere re the drug topic, so I will just say that I took Antabuse the first 90 days with success as it was just one tool and not a program for sobriety; I took acamprosate (campral) until about a month ago, as maintenance and never had a single physical craving for alcohol (I am going on 23 mo sober now). Drugs are just well-used, correctly followed additions to my foundation of AA and other tools for recovery.

Stay with us Lonewolf! Life is not easy at all times, hence sobriety is not always that way - but it is more than worth it.
Thank you August that is very encouraging and fills me with optimism that I need right now. My plan is definitely to not rely on it but to use as a preventative so that my fear of picking up a drink doesn't get in the way of going to the recovery centre and smart meetings. My cravings are through the roof at times today but I'm being practical. I've been considering taking the dog out today and going for long walk but at the moment not sure it is wise.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

Interesting, so no side effects of acamprosate? Antabuse is a chain though I totally disagree with it you have to want sobriety not need it or be forced into it.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Interesting, so no side effects of acamprosate? Antabuse is a chain though I totally disagree with it you have to want sobriety not need it or be forced into it.
I think you are missing the point Cappy. No one is forcing people to take it, in fact it seems quite the opposite. I have to prove I am willing to stick to the support at the recovery centre before they put me on it. The reason people find it useful is that they feel they have no control over them instant bouts of intense craving, not initially anyway.
It would be pointless taking any medication if you didn't want to stop drinking.

If I don't have that preventative measure it will only be a matter of time, the way I feel at the moment, before I become impulsive and pick up a drink. It is an accumulation of such intense feelings that for me, leave me very susceptible to drinking again. I really don't want that but my body does badly.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Smile

I think you are missing the point Cappy. No one is forcing people to take it, in fact it seems quite the opposite. I have to prove I am willing to stick to the support at the recovery centre before they put me on it. The reason people find it useful is that they feel they have no control over them instant bouts of intense craving, not initially anyway.
It would be pointless taking any medication if you didn't want to stop drinking.
Yes but you are choosing to take something that prevents you from drinking. This is no different than prohibition which didn't work and actually made people drink more. Its like getting locked in an asylum or jail to prevent yourself from having access.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well if it was enforced on people I agree but I've took enough punishment from alcohol that this seems really minor to me. I'm stuck in a prison now that I can't get out of.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Smile

Well if it was enforced on people I agree but I've took enough punishment from alcohol that this seems really minor to me. I'm stuck in a prison now that I can't get out of.
Nah you are not getting me im not saying someone is forcing you to take it. But you are forcing yourself to take it, which isn't entirely wanting to stop drinking. You get me? You can get out of that prison many have but they didn't get out by putting themselves in prison.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Smile

Alcohol is not punishing you, you are punishing you.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not punishing you, you are punishing you.
The difference in opinion is basically that you believe we have complete control over what we do and I believe we don't. So on that note we aren't going to agree lol
If that works for you great but I have held that view before and I was battered left, right and centre.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Smile

The difference in opinion is basically that you believe we have complete control over what we do and I believe we don't. So on that note we aren't going to agree lol
If that works for you great but I have held that view before and I was battered left, right and centre.
No mate, I believe we have absolutely no control over alcohol at all.
This has been proven both scientifically and psychologically.