Notices

Thoughts on non-alcoholic beverages??

Old 12-23-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have never had a non alcoholic beer in my life (why would anyone!!) because I never drank it for the taste, just to get drunk.

And if drinking not alcoholic beers or drinks is just for show, what is the point of lying to everyone else and yourself.

I am proud of my sobriety and do not feel the urge to impress anyone.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's an oft-discussed and somewhat touchy/controversial topic here Sohard.

It's really up to you as to whether or not it's a "good" idea, but what's probably more important than the beverage itself is your reasoning/intentions for drinking it in the first place.

Some of the commonly posted pitfalls of NA beverages
1. They are not all 100% alcohol free - there is a trace amount in all of them
2. They taste pretty horrible for the most part
3. Many have reported that they end up leading back to the "real thing"
4. There are a zillion other options out there that are not a facscimile of the real thing.
5. If you are using it to make others think you are drinking alcohol - that's probably not a good idea either.

Again, some folks drink them with no issues, but for the most part it seems to be a bad idea.
I have a somewhat different attitude about them than I used to- I used to be pretty adamantly along the above lines.

I personally drink them RARELY - and only actual mocktails, made by bartenders at the restaurants owned by the founder of the restaurant-industry recovery group I run. Some of them are really good- others eh - and it's a running practice at all of his restaurants to keep making better ones. One reason for this is that they are a feature and talked about thing - ie, at the big food & wine festival in cities like Atlanta and Charleston, we host after parties that are dry and feature the mocktails (and food from our restaurants).

Beer was never a drink of choice and as mentioned, most have at least 1 or 2% alcohol still. I also cannot imagine that the faux wine I have heard of is in the least bit worth it.

I know some alcoholics who made a practice early on (or continue to in longer sobriety) of drinking non-alcoholic bevs out of a wine or cocktail glass, or having a regular "night cap" of something faux...me, why bother? One reason being unecessary cals from juice, etc that are usually in them

Up to the individual though- and here's a place rigorous honesty (AA term) comes in - WHY are you drinking them? Truthfully? If any intention is similar to a drinking habit/intention/effect...maybe a seed for relapse hence a bad idea.

Just my $0.02+.