Notices

Thoughts on non-alcoholic beverages??

Old 12-21-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts on non-alcoholic beverages??

Going to a x-mas lunch. Wondering if non-alcoholic beverages are a wonderful or horrible idea?
Old 12-21-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's an oft-discussed and somewhat touchy/controversial topic here Sohard.

It's really up to you as to whether or not it's a "good" idea, but what's probably more important than the beverage itself is your reasoning/intentions for drinking it in the first place.

Some of the commonly posted pitfalls of NA beverages
1. They are not all 100% alcohol free - there is a trace amount in all of them
2. They taste pretty horrible for the most part
3. Many have reported that they end up leading back to the "real thing"
4. There are a zillion other options out there that are not a facscimile of the real thing.
5. If you are using it to make others think you are drinking alcohol - that's probably not a good idea either.

Again, some folks drink them with no issues, but for the most part it seems to be a bad idea.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have seen how controversial this is on another thread called "fake wine"!
I do tend to have some N.A. beer but I was a wine drinker, I would not touch N.A. wine. I have the beer sometimes but with lots of lemonade. The longer I go, the more other interesting soft drinks I find (12 weeks for me).
However, I do not have them to pretend to drink, it is just for something different. I have no issues with saying I don't drink. I only drink soft drinks when I'm out.
Also, I haven't had any real battles (so far) with my sobriety, it was like a switch flipped, something in me just changed.
If you're wondering about it then maybe best to give it a miss & stick to soft drinks. I find there are plenty around the more I look into it!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the thoughts. I had been thinking perhaps I'd order a virgin Bloody Mary at lunch. Not for pretend purposes (everyone would hear me order it) but I was thinking maybe mentally it would be soothing. But, I see how this is a slippery slope/dangerous idea. I better not if I'm wondering about it.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

soothing....hot chocolate or a nice tea would soothe.
my question to myself would be WHY would i think a virgin bloody mary would be soothing? where inside me does that find a place to hook into?
Old 12-21-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
soothing....hot chocolate or a nice tea would soothe.
my question to myself would be WHY would i think a virgin bloody mary would be soothing? where inside me does that find a place to hook into?
You're right...you're right...
Old 12-21-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like a "mocktail"? Some of them sound fun. We don't have Bloody Mary here, we have Caesars, which I hate because I don't like fresh clam juice, isn't a virgin Bloody Mary just a glass of tomato juice? (teasing)

I'm a club soda girl, no calories, always have been. Coffee, tea, club soda, San Pellegrino or Perrier too. They bubble and fizz.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had iced tea at a dinner with old coworkers last night. I thought it would be a lot harder than it was. I’m usually the one everyone can count on drinking, but not one person pressured me or gave me a hard time when I said, “I’m taking a break. I’m on day 3”. They kind of laughed as though 3 days was not a big deal. It’s a huge deal to me! It was kind of an eye opener. Like, what? You guys aren’t drinking every time we aren’t drinking together? Anyway, these friends are good people who would want to spend time with me sober. I think. I have others who I have no idea whether we could be friends without drinking.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went for Perrier water with food, a cappuccino afterwards. I never used to be a coffee drinker. I needed fluids like Gatorade in the morning (not coffee) and then in the evenings when everyone would wrap up their meal with a coffee, I'd wrap it up with another glass of wine, to be continued at home. So, coffee is new to me. It kind of gives a kick, which I like. Surprise, surprise.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Like a "mocktail"? Some of them sound fun.
If non-alcoholic beverages are for non alcoholics, then mocktails are for "mock alcoholics."

It's not so much the ingredients or lack of alcohol that necessarily defines the beverage, but what we ascribe to that beverage: its name (Virgin Bloody Mary vs. tomato juice), its container (use of wine glasses and old fashion/rocks glasses) and why we choosing it...for instance, so no one suspects I'm not drinking.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If non-alcoholic beverages are for non alcoholics, then mocktails are for "mock alcoholics."

It's not so much the ingredients or lack of alcohol that necessarily defines the beverage, but what we ascribe to that beverage: its name (Virgin Bloody Mary vs. tomato juice), its container (use of wine glasses and old fashion/rocks glasses) and why we choosing it...for instance, so no one suspects I'm not drinking.
I guess it doesn't resonate the same with me, I never liked cocktails. I've never looked at a mocktail as a replacement for drinking, just something different to drink than the standard. Interesting to see the other side though. To me, some are just fun combinations of juice and seltzer. Like I wouldn't drink a coke or pepsi, but I would drink a blood orange Italian soda, or a shirley temple - even when I did drink, if I couldn't drink for whatever reason, I would go for one of those and it wasn't to pretend drink.
I would go to an all-inclusive resort, but I wouldn't drink the alcohol included, I'd give a credit card to the front desk and drink a bit more premium, less gross combinations than what is typically offered. Hard to explain, when I drank, I drank specific things, occasionally I would say switch to vodka or whiskey if I had consumed enough wine, but they were always straight and neat.
Always an interesting conversation and I can see why it becomes a bit controversial, so many of us coming from different backgrounds and places.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
I went for Perrier water with food, a cappuccino afterwards. I never used to be a coffee drinker. I needed fluids like Gatorade in the morning (not coffee) and then in the evenings when everyone would wrap up their meal with a coffee, I'd wrap it up with another glass of wine, to be continued at home. So, coffee is new to me. It kind of gives a kick, which I like. Surprise, surprise.
Coffee is new to you? Oh, you're going to have fun with this discovery!

Go easy later in the day, or you'll be up all night .
Old 12-21-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me:
NA drinks are for non-alcoholics, which I am for sure one of them. So nope.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think non-alcoholic drinks are just the alcoholic trying to hold onto SOME shred of their former life. Bad idea in my opinion....
Old 12-21-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd drink the NA drinks exactly the same way I drank the alcoholic versions and wonder why I was craving. Stick to drinks that don't remind you of the past.

D
Old 12-21-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went to a Halloween party this year and saw some friends another time (who had quit drinking so that was all good) and would usually have drank. I know I wanted to have something that felt like a treat so I bought a bottle of Belvoir raspberry lemonade which is too expensive and sugary to drink often but that I love. It felt like a nice treat and kept my hands and mouth busy (stupid oral fixation) and I didn't feel like I was missing out.

I've found NA drinks tend to taste pretty horrible and just make you want a real drink so I avoid them. Some get on fine with them though so there seems to be a fairly big swing in how they can affect you.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
You're right...you're right...
Sohard
ha, but i wasn't trying to be right . My question about where the idea of a virgin bloody mary ( the name alone is a horror!) finds a hook inside you so that you consider it was a very genuine question.
asking myself those kinds of things and examining and deconstructing was really helpful to me in taking apart the seeming allures of crazy ideas
Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Could be a slippery slope. I wouldn't risk it.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

To me, the answer to all of these types of questions is why do you want to do it?

Is it to make you feel like you're drinking again? If the answer is yes then it's a bad idea.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

I was a wine and cocktail drinker. In the warmer months, I had some na beer when with friends. Now I’m into hot drinks, instant hot apple cider or hot chocolate at night. I might have next summer, but it doesn’t do anything much for me. i had it for a change of flavor, because i drink sparkling water with cranberry all the time.

I would never go near a virgin bloody mary- it was a drink of choice. The taste would do me in. Mock wine is not very tasty, plus I drank Wine for the buzz. All calories no buzz. Not for me.