Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Just needed to post here to keep myself on track.

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’m literally in the complete **** show part of recovery right now. I feel worthless, I have no energy, no desire to do anything , my house is a mess, I’m lacking as a mother. There isn’t enough coffee in the world to get me through the day. I feel like I’m mentally drained so I’m having a hard time keeping up with my sweet but very energetic 7,5 and 3 year olds. All I can do is hug them and cuddle them on the couch and listen to them talk and try my best to be present. I long for the days when I’m through all of this and I can play with them
And give them what they deserve. When I have enough energy to make them healthy dinners off of pintrest instead of scrambled eggs and toast. I know this sounds like rambling but I just needed to speak to someone who can relate so that I don’t go for that dinner time wine. I know I can do this but it’s tough today.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will get better each day, SIL.
Hang in there. You are worth it.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, nothing wrong with scrambled eggs and toast! It’s warm, and nourishing. It’s hardly Fruit Loops out of the box!

You’re cuddling them, feeding them and getting them a sober mom.

Those are all good things.

Sending you a hug
Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will get better, I promise.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said it gets better SIL - stay with it - we have your back

D
Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will get better. Just build upon your sobriety, one day at a time.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You’re doing just fine. The Pinterest meals will be here someday, for now you heal. There’s nothing more important but your sobriety, and your children care less about you being tired than they do about you being present.

Hang in there.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know everyone is different but is there any posts on here about how long withdrawal symptoms can last. I feel like I need to read some personal experiences so that I have something to look forward to. I know I said this before but I had 30 days of recovery but I’m having a much harder time this time around. I’m feeling upset with myself for starting again. Before my recovery last time I was having such major health anxiety about upper right stomach pain that I was posting on here (too much about it, I’m sure driving you all crazy) after I got a clean blood tests result (amazing for how much I was drinking) I swore I’d stay sober so I would never have that anxiety again. Now here I am.. starting over again on sobriety
Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
I know everyone is different but is there any posts on here about how long withdrawal symptoms can last. I feel like I need to read some personal experiences so that I have something to look forward to. I know I said this before but I had 30 days of recovery but I’m having a much harder time this time around. I’m feeling upset with myself for starting again. Before my recovery last time I was having such major health anxiety about upper right stomach pain that I was posting on here (too much about it, I’m sure driving you all crazy) after I got a clean blood tests result (amazing for how much I was drinking) I swore I’d stay sober so I would never have that anxiety again. Now here I am.. starting over again on sobriety
There really is no set time frame for how long withdrawals will last unfortunately SickInLove. In general, the "acute" or initial withdrawals can last up to a couple of weeks. Some of the physical healing can take longer too , for example I had pretty bad GI issues too and it took the better part of a month before things started feeling "normal" or close to normal.

The emotional/psychological effects can take much longer, months or even years. Part of getting sober is also realizing that most of us have underlying issues to deal with that have likely existed for years or even our whole life. Quitting drinking will not solve these problems - but it is a necessary first step in most cases.

Another thing to remember is that subsequent cycles of quitting/returning to drinking can cause progressively worse withdrawals. It's called "kindling" by some and it's a very real phenomenon. Not only can subsequent withdrawals be longer, but potentially more severe. It's a good thing to remember when you have thoughts about drinking...that if you think it's bad now, the next one could make this seem like a cakewalk.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The physical pain and anxiety go away within a week for me, then I just feel slow and tired. I still do but it comes and goes, some days I have more energy than others. My brain slowdown is taking longer. I know if I cleaned up my diet I’d think better, that’s my plan after the holidays, for now I’m enjoying food.

It’s all completely worth it. Be wary of feeling the self pity: you’re doing something very important and very difficult and you must see yourself as a warrior who guts it out and fights until it becomes second nature. Alcoholism is like anorexia or cancer, it kills and ruins lives. Fight.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There really is no set time frame for how long withdrawals will last unfortunately SickInLove. In general, the "acute" or initial withdrawals can last up to a couple of weeks. Some of the physical healing can take longer too , for example I had pretty bad GI issues too and it took the better part of a month before things started feeling "normal" or close to normal.

The emotional/psychological effects can take much longer, months or even years. Part of getting sober is also realizing that most of us have underlying issues to deal with that have likely existed for years or even our whole life. Quitting drinking will not solve these problems - but it is a necessary first step in most cases.

Another thing to remember is that subsequent cycles of quitting/returning to drinking can cause progressively worse withdrawals. It's called "kindling" by some and it's a very real phenomenon. Not only can subsequent withdrawals be longer, but potentially more severe. It's a good thing to remember when you have thoughts about drinking...that if you think it's bad now, the next one could make this seem like a cakewalk.
The last part of this is what keeps me sober right now. Knowing that it would be WORSE if I picked up drinking again, and quit,.... MIND BLOWING!

SIL, I have a 7-year-old. So, the guilt over not feeling present is there as well. I take solace in the words of everyone on this forum who says it will get better, and I will get myself back. And, that self will be SO much better for my boy than the drunk me ever ever EVER was.

Hang in there! We're all here for each other.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey......I want some scrambled eggs and toast. I LOVED that when I was a kid. That was a huuuuge treat for my brothers and I growing up when my Mom or Dad would make us breakfast food for dinner !!!!! Kids dont know that it doesnt take as much effort to make that as it takes to slay a medevial Dragon !! They think you went to the ends of the earth to make that. Seriously. Like you hatched the eggs yourself and baked the bread you toasted. You are sober. Your kids love you. You are SuperMom. They're probably at school going "Oh yeah?....well MY moms a SUPERMOM.....she made us EGGS and TOAST for DINNER....thats right....for DINNER...HA....IN YO' FACE !!!!"
Old 12-12-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scarly View Post
Hey......I want some scrambled eggs and toast. I LOVED that when I was a kid. That was a huuuuge treat for my brothers and I growing up when my Mom or Dad would make us breakfast food for dinner !!!!! Kids dont know that it doesnt take as much effort to make that as it takes to slay a medevial Dragon !! They think you went to the ends of the earth to make that. Seriously. Like you hatched the eggs yourself and baked the bread you toasted. You are sober. Your kids love you. You are SuperMom. They're probably at school going "Oh yeah?....well MY moms a SUPERMOM.....she made us EGGS and TOAST for DINNER....thats right....for DINNER...HA....IN YO' FACE !!!!"
Truth! Great way to think about it!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I usually felt better anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks...the time got longer and the symptoms more pronounced the more years I drank.

Kindling is a real thing.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...lly-again.html (Tolerance and kindling - Why alcoholics can't drink normally again)

D
Old 12-13-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank last night.. 4 beers. After the kids went to bed. I had a headache and just wanted to sleep. I’m posting this to hold myself accountable. I ended up getting in a fight with my husband, I woke up at 2 am and couldn’t go back to sleep because I felt so guilty about drinking. I have a stomach ache and headache and feel hungover this morning. It didn’t solve anything, it didn’t make anything better. I’m regretful, I’m posting this hear so I can read it next time I get the urge. I can’t do it again, it only makes things worse.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drank last night.. 4 beers. After the kids went to bed. I had a headache and just wanted to sleep. I’m posting this to hold myself accountable. I ended up getting in a fight with my husband, I woke up at 2 am and couldn’t go back to sleep because I felt so guilty about drinking. I have a stomach ache and headache and feel hungover this morning. It didn’t solve anything, it didn’t make anything better. I’m regretful, I’m posting this hear so I can read it next time I get the urge. I can’t do it again, it only makes things worse.
Even though I haven't relapsed, the thoughts of doing so were strong enough at times that I might as well have. I'm sure you're very frustrated right now. I'm sorry you're having to go through such pain. We're here for you!

KUDOS to you SIL for coming back and being accountable! Print out what you just wrote, write it on a sticky, copy it to your device, whatever. That way, the next time you think you are about to cave, see how you felt afterward the last time, and hopefully, it pushes you that bit further to hold off. Reading all the posts on here from people who feel crappy after relapsing helps, but its not YOUR words. Use this post as part of your sober tool kit, if you will.

Today is a new day. Thank you for sharing your journey.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Now that I’m going on to day 4 my brain fog is starting to clear up. Still having a lot of anxiety but other than that I’m feeling good.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scarly View Post
Ha Ha! This post made my day. Thank you for making me see the positive side. I’m so thankful for this group.