Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I need to stay close to these boards right now...

Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
G-Woman

....and my sponsor and the rooms of AA.

Nothing bad has happened to me, actually the complete opposite. I got a promotion at work that I really worked hard for.

And quite predictably that sent my AV into hyper-drive. It wants me to 'celebrate', and is telling me 'see you're absolutely AWESOME, you can go ahead and drink just one last time!'

No kidding, it was lucky I was stuck at work for 12 hours, or else I could've been in some serious trouble. But thankfully the craving passed, and I went home without picking up booze. I'm also fighting a cold, and that's also a common time my cravings hit.

Just a reminder to folks - our addictions can work in ways that don't always make sense.

Thank you for this place! I know I don't post that often, but I'm often lurking and posting every day in the 24 hour recovery thread.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you posted! I think it is so true what I heard early on- the good stuff is as likely to make us think of or want to drink as the bad stuff! After all, that's how us alcoholics coped!

Do stay close and def keep reaching out as much as you need to your sponsor- that kind of reaction and good decision making helps me.

Take care.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Congrats on the promotion!

Yeah, I've learned the hard way many times about "celebrating." The craving usually passes, though.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your promotion, Shortstop!

I remember clearly how my AV took advantage of both good news (let’s celebrate with a drink) and bad news (let’s commiserate with a drink).

It still amazes me when I read SR, how so many folks have an AV which spouts the same stuff - despite the difference in our backgrounds, experiences, traumas and personalities: the AVs have a commonality and seem to speak with a similar voice.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on the promotion! Coming here and staying close to your other support is a great idea as well. Change in our lives, whether good or bad, is uncomfortabe. As active addicts, we used drugs/alcohol to escape facing that change...even if it was positifve change. Stick close and you'll be just fine!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I am feeling really good sometimes the thought of drinking pops into my head.

But I always remind myself that the reason I feel good is because I am not drinking anymore.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love it....i will keep that thought. I feel good because I知 no drinking today!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good on ya for recognizing whats going on. this is one reason the big book says

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Shortstop, excellent news on your promotion!!

Also excellent that you did not drink over it. I’m staying close right now too....I look like I’m trying to help everyone but I’m really just trying to help myself. This is an ongoing thing, that is for sure.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Thanks all! The fantastic thing about my new position is NO MORE SHIFT WORK. Having weekends and holidays off to be with my family is awesome beyond words.

The craving hit again yesterday while I was at work. But again, by the time I was ready to drive home in the evening it had passed.

A huge motivator for me is thinking about how I feel in the days after a binge aka 'playing the tape to the end.'

The physical symptoms that take weeks to fade away, the guilt, shame and depression, and the debilitating blow to my self esteem. And all for what? Because my AV wants a few hours of escape from GOOD news??

Addiction is simply illogical and ridiculous. Yet, here I am, attempting to reason with it. Ok, maybe it's less 'reasoning' and more about shutting it down, because how do you argue with something that doesn't listen to reason?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Shortstop, excellent news on your promotion!!

Also excellent that you did not drink over it. I知 staying close right now too....I look like I知 trying to help everyone but I知 really just trying to help myself. This is an ongoing thing, that is for sure.
Sassy - I know that others say that helping others is a great way to get out of our own heads and as a side-result help ourselves. But not at the expense of looking after ourselves and our own needs, know what I'm sayin'?
Old 12-10-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
Sassy - I know that others say that helping others is a great way to get out of our own heads and as a side-result help ourselves. But not at the expense of looking after ourselves and our own needs, know what I'm sayin'?
I do. I hope people realize I知 just staying on the boards, because I need to. I can稚 just go about my life and not start having scary rationalizing, it creeps in if I don稚 stay here. I have to come on here to screw my head back on straight through the day...