Notices

Having a rough time

Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a rough time

Hey guys,

Been having a rough time lately. I have been traveling a lot for work. Seceral months. I dont have the urge to drink, but when Im alone in my hotel i get really lonely. I call my wife and that does help. Ive noticed that people I do care about dont ever reach out to me first. I quit reaching out to my friends and co workers a couple of weeks ago and I never hear from them unless they need something.

I mean i know thats on them, but damn is it still lonely

Guess really I just posted because here I know Im not alone.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took me years to be comfortable with just myself. You come to realize in life that most people care about themselves first, and what doesn't immediately concern them they don't think about.

Try turning off all electronics and just sitting quietly. How does that make you feel? It's uncomfortable for most people. We are created to be in relationship with others. But what are relationships worth if they don't stay with us when we're away?

I know what you're feeling. It's quite unsettling. A healthy prayer life can do a lot to alleviate loneliness. And there's always a tinge of being let down when loneliness sets in.

But if you do the right thing when you know how, and you do your best when you don't know exactly what to do, you'll find piece of mind.

It's a long process to reconcile ones self to ones own self. One problem is, a person cannot own his own shortcoming until he shares it with another. Until a person can take ownership, he can't be forgiven, because he's not accountable.

But mutual sharing of similar experiences is only a part of recovery. If it's left at that, it becomes a mutual justification. But if a person shares, forgives others, and then receives forgiveness, he can face himself.

Otherwise, the guilt is still there. He must keep repeating the ritual of confession, receive justification, and get stuck in a vicious circle. Once he receives forgiveness, the past has no power, and the man is at peace with himself.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Gosh it sound so tough to do non AA recovery. I don't know where you find the strength. Almost anywhere I go, there is always a meeting to pop into. I have a couple of million friends I just havent met them all yet.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Gosh it sound so tough to do non AA recovery. I don't know where you find the strength. Almost anywhere I go, there is always a meeting to pop into. I have a couple of million friends I just havent met them all yet.
lol I actually do AA recovery and have been to meetings here.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I often drank because I felt alone. I still feel alone more than I would like but now I know that the booze was making it worse. Nearly everything I've ever done, that I have regretted, happened when I was drunk.

Is there something else you could do while travelling that'll keep you busy?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't get lonely, get active. Alcoholism is sneaky. It looks for cracks. Don't give it a chance to creep back in. In my opinion loneliness is an opportunity for the disease. Eliminate it by action. Just my suggestion.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You literally just practically posted the same thing as me........... I am in the same state right now.

Knowing you are experiencing this loneliness too makes me feel less alone - not that I am happy you are experiencing it, but, you know.
We are not alone.
We are here and we have eachother.

Glad you posted.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are not alone. Not at all.
I think loneliness can teach us a lot. It is a part of this life we live and it has its place.
I'm glad you reached out here. Taking action and doing different things.
Good work
Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredikklegoth View Post
I often drank because I felt alone. I still feel alone more than I would like but now I know that the booze was making it worse. Nearly everything I've ever done, that I have regretted, happened when I was drunk.

Is there something else you could do while travelling that'll keep you busy?
Yeah Im going to go to a local gym in the area
Old 12-08-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrrryahj View Post
You literally just practically posted the same thing as me........... I am in the same state right now.

Knowing you are experiencing this loneliness too makes me feel less alone - not that I am happy you are experiencing it, but, you know.
We are not alone.
We are here and we have eachother.

Glad you posted.
Thank you
Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

i can relate. I thought i had friends many times in life only to realize no one really cared as much about me as i did them. and they all just faded away unless I put forth the effort to keep contact.

When i focus on the lonely aspect of it i can get depressed. ITs funny too I was just talking about this very thing to someone else.

But I've come to accept that at the end of the day things come and go peopel come and go. Im basicly always and forever will be alone with myself. at the end of the day i need to be happy with myself cause well i'm stuck with myself.

That being said I had to figure out how to be happy when iw as alone and by myself cause well tehre was no avoiding it. I had to accept it.

I'm not sure how the average person feels maybe most people feel secure that they will always have others to help them along in life. I've never felt that way. and feel that others while can be helpful no one can jump inside of me and do it for me. no one can jump inside of me and clean up the pain etc.. Only I can do this. Its not good or bad it just is what it is.

I hope this helps. Maybe you can get preoccupied on other things and forget about the being alone part.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh how I can relate. If it were not for my son, I would still be a drunk or completely isolated.
I have 1 friend who actually supports me, we are starting to hang out a lot more as of late, and it is great. I was totally honest with her about what I am going through. I did at 1 time drink with her and her hubby however, they never drank like I did. They never held anything above my head even when I did stupid things.
All other friends, even one I thought I was really close with has just gone away. I am sure that is because she drinks all the time and we were just using friends, to begin with. It took her 69 days to reach out to me, I had reached out 5 times prior to this to no avail, so, I just let that relationship go. It is not healthy for me, and she wants to continue to drink every day and surround herself with people who drink. That is not my lifestyle.

When I feel lonely, I watch TV, read a book, paint, or clean. I hope you are able to find something to fill your time with. Try something new if you are able, like finding cute little shops in your travelers, just to look around.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

lol I actually do AA recovery and have been to meetings here.
Recovery advice: "don't get to hungry, angry, lonely, tired (HALT)" Having telephone number of other recovering alcoholics has saved my recovery, especially when traveling. We understand each other like no one else. And calling newcomers is the best.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Recovery advice: "don't get to hungry, angry, lonely, tired (HALT)" Having telephone number of other recovering alcoholics has saved my recovery, especially when traveling. We understand each other like no one else. And calling newcomers is the best.
It's not a bad idea to work the steps at a good clip too. That is the only part of AA which AA claims will bring about a lasting recovery, and working with other alcholics (calling newcomers) works when all else fails
Old 12-10-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When drinking, I was lonely, despite being surrounded by family, friends and acquaintances. Since stopping drinking and nurturing myself, for the first time in a long time.....I’ve found that it’s an inside, outside job. Once I forced myself to like myself, befriend myself, I feel far less lonely, if that makes sense, I hope it does. Plus, others seem more accepting of me, as I accept myself.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going redneckrecovery?

D