Notices

Relapse time, but I’m not relapsing

Old 12-05-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Maybe this'll give you a chuckle:

When you first started posting I read your username as...

Staying Gassy!
Lol! I pride myself on not having that problem!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was the fixer and the General Manager for everyone.

I had a lot of fear about losing control - which was ironic considering how drink I got - but even that was a kind of control - a (futile) attempt at a controlled burnoff, or a a reset button if you will.

Making not wanting to see a Dr is one of those mixed/pride fear things?

Either way it's a behavior that does neither of us any good sassy - so no good reason to keep it, yeah?

D
Old 12-05-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Guys, it’s really hard right now.

I usually drink again between months 2-4. It sucks at this time. Tired, craving, emotional, gaining weight, no energy, anhedonia....pushing through, pushing at the gym, pushing at work, doing all the Xmas Work, doing it all but not feeling any of it.
Hi Sassy,
Sorry to hear that you are feeling down right now. But it is just a phase and as you say yourself, you simply have to get through it. In month 3 I also hit a wall and had significantl cognitive challenges, but now I'm getting close to month 5 and my energy has really ramped up!

On the 'drunkydrunkgirl' blog there's an entry called 'Into every life a little PAWS will fall' and there she talks about that challenging time:

"I journaled a lot. I felt sorry for myself a lot. But, I also just went through the motions, and there’s a LOT to be said for just doing what needs to be done. I made a lot of to-do lists, and then, finally stopped berating myself for not getting to much of what was on my list. I just didn’t drink. Sometimes I’d go to bed early; a lot of times I did only what needed to be done in terms of work (I didn’t make very much money last year–haha); I bitched to my boyfriend; I took long walks with my dogs (they are my “higher power,” I swear); I ate a lot of sweets; I drank a ****-ton of Diet Coke. There were treats in the form of trips and hikes and lazy days on the beach–which were sometimes (often) clouded by me feeling bad or guilty about taking time off to heal, or not being capable of enjoying the moment. It just takes time, and constant effort. But, mostly, it just takes doing it, and going through the motions. Believe me, you will NOT be going through the motions forever, even though you’re convinced that things will never feel good again and you might as well drink because there is NO WAY you’re not drinking and putting up with this **** forever."

So yeah, lol, you won't have to put up with this forever, although a little patience may still be required! Happy holidays and stay the course, you're doing fine!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
Hi Sassy,
Sorry to hear that you are feeling down right now. But it is just a phase and as you say yourself, you simply have to get through it. In month 3 I also hit a wall and had significantl cognitive challenges, but now I'm getting close to month 5 and my energy has really ramped up!

On the 'drunkydrunkgirl' blog there's an entry called 'Into every life a little PAWS will fall' and there she talks about that challenging time:

"I journaled a lot. I felt sorry for myself a lot. But, I also just went through the motions, and there’s a LOT to be said for just doing what needs to be done. I made a lot of to-do lists, and then, finally stopped berating myself for not getting to much of what was on my list. I just didn’t drink. Sometimes I’d go to bed early; a lot of times I did only what needed to be done in terms of work (I didn’t make very much money last year–haha); I bitched to my boyfriend; I took long walks with my dogs (they are my “higher power,” I swear); I ate a lot of sweets; I drank a ****-ton of Diet Coke. There were treats in the form of trips and hikes and lazy days on the beach–which were sometimes (often) clouded by me feeling bad or guilty about taking time off to heal, or not being capable of enjoying the moment. It just takes time, and constant effort. But, mostly, it just takes doing it, and going through the motions. Believe me, you will NOT be going through the motions forever, even though you’re convinced that things will never feel good again and you might as well drink because there is NO WAY you’re not drinking and putting up with this **** forever."

So yeah, lol, you won't have to put up with this forever, although a little patience may still be required! Happy holidays and stay the course, you're doing fine!

I love it, Mac. Thanks. There’s a part of me that wants to just sit here and do nothing. Doing all the things is really, really stressful right now.

I knew this about month 3. Thanks for helping to normalize it.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Guys, it’s really hard right now.

I usually drink again between months 2-4. It sucks at this time. Tired, craving, emotional, gaining weight, no energy, anhedonia....pushing through, pushing at the gym, pushing at work, doing all the Xmas Work, doing it all but not feeling any of it.

Husband...who is being a sweetheart and giving me tons of physical affection, lots of support, friendship, all of it....was saying “you’ve been dragging a little, you ok?”

At least he only thinks it’s a little....I am doing my life but I feel like I am face down in the dirt. going to make myself stay downstairs past 7 and try not to lie in bed so early, I just want to be in bed, but I have to fight a little harder to be present.

It’s hard to know what’s sobriety, and what’s just me dealing with all my usual life stress.

Drinking again has ceased to be an option, so I am just getting through, and I am going to make an effort to smile, and to try to be grateful for all the gifts I still have in life, and try not to bring everyone down.
I do know what you are going through. I say, lay in bed if you want. Once you get tired of laying there then get up and do all the things.

I woke this morning and said " No. Just No. I really don't want to deal today"

So I put on my running clothes while my head said all the "No's" and I went and did my workout. I listened to my head and all its chatter but stuck to my morning routine. My head loves to protest.

I got in my bed at 5pm tonight and I will stay here until the morning.

This too shall pass, SS. It really will. Keep close. Keep posting and keep being honest.

You got this.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

2-4 months was dangerous for me too. I was fresh out of the hospital and in IOP...i think i was in for almost 4 months...i can't remember now...anyway...i got to feeling a lot like you did.

I think what got me out of it was actually thinking my way through the consequences...like it's easy to put on paper....me+drinking=tornado of destruction. blah blah blah....

however, you know deep down if you get drunk all you'll wanna do is get sober when it starts to hurt again...and then you start over. a little more desperate- a lot more depressed and more hopeless too.

Every drunk is premeditated...you think of it and then you either react to it and kill the craving or you run with it and let it drive you nuts.

For me it was intense insomnia, wanting to sleep all day, feelings of total ambivalence towards recovery and everything in my life and s#it just felt flat. I hated that.

Almost in spite of myself i just went through the motions. People said"You've got this" and "you're right where you're supposed to be" well...maybe i don't have this and i feel like i'm really fu$king down right now. Almost in a morbid way, i embraced it....i stayed up for days at a time. I layed around the house.....i stopped showering for about 3 weeks...i just felt what i was feeling. fu%& it...better than being drunk.

Then one day it just stopped, and then I felt better.

Then it came back ...for about a year it was like this...and then the lulls and the flat affect started coming back for less and less time.

that's just life i think sometimes for us in early recovery.

I do want to make you acutely aware of one thing. You help A LOT of people here. I'm one of them. You have a certain wisdom about yourself that probably is of no real use to you, but i really have come to enjoy the things you share with people. Don't take that away from the world. That would suck.

ok i've run out of things to say except i hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post

Almost in spite of myself i just went through the motions. People said"You've got this" and "you're right where you're supposed to be" well...maybe i don't have this and i feel like i'm really fu$king down right now. Almost in a morbid way, i embraced it....i stayed up for days at a time. I layed around the house.....i stopped showering for about 3 weeks...i just felt what i was feeling. fu%& it...better than being drunk.

Then one day it just stopped, and then I felt better.

Then it came back ...for about a year it was like this...and then the lulls and the flat affect started coming back for less and less time.

that's just life i think sometimes for us in early recovery.

I do want to make you acutely aware of one thing. You help A LOT of people here. I'm one of them. You have a certain wisdom about yourself that probably is of no real use to you, but i really have come to enjoy the things you share with people. Don't take that away from the world. That would suck.

ok i've run out of things to say except i hope you feel better soon.
It’s pretty messed up that at one of the worst moments in sobriety, people get released from iop or rehab, this 2-4 month period is well known in recovery circles as a complete suckfest.

I’m doing the above as well, at least the going through the motions part, sometimes I want to just lose it emotionally over having to go to work, or having to do some shopping or clean, i feel like I want to just start wailing. So everything, yes, everything that’s not lying on my bed eating sugar or other processed carbs du jour and looking at screens, makes me want to have a tantrum. I do them anyway, because i can’t stop my life at the moment....as much as I wish I could.

And thanks for that last part. I feel pretty strongly about what everyone goes through here. I’m going through it myself and it’s not for the faint of heart. We are brave men and women, here.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I do know what you are going through. I say, lay in bed if you want. Once you get tired of laying there then get up and do all the things.

I woke this morning and said " No. Just No. I really don't want to deal today"

So I put on my running clothes while my head said all the "No's" and I went and did my workout. I listened to my head and all its chatter but stuck to my morning routine. My head loves to protest.

I got in my bed at 5pm tonight and I will stay here until the morning.

This too shall pass, SS. It really will. Keep close. Keep posting and keep being honest.

You got this.
Oh, how I would love to lie in bed and not do all the things...like maybe, if we could just hide our heads under the covers until sufficient time has passed and we are better? Poking our heads out, “is it safe yet??” I’m listening when you and others give the promise that it gets better. I am counting on it.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mr

SS my Friend,

Its hard isnt it.
Taking back the power.
The doubt... do I really want it.

If you listen to it you could be fooled thinking you can handle one or two glasses..... maybe i could enjoy another beer, one last single malt, a vodka, a tequila, a pernod, a guinness ...... what is true ? what is real ?

I dont even know how im getting by at the moment but im getting by.
Good god i know i have no rock bottom.........been there done that.
How could we even think of it eh ?

Jesus its mad isnt it accepting it.....
I mean its really mad, its the hardest thing i have ever done.
The hardest thing we will ever do...
But we have to do it. Dont we.

Dont give up on recovery.

Bisous.
V.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I Found focussing on my own happiness was counter productive. The more I pandered to self, the unhappier I got. Then I heard this really radical idea, which I tried.

Do someone else a good turn, and don't get found out...

See how that makes you feel. (It is harder than it sounds)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You rock, Sassy. I'll start again tomorrow. Alone right now. Me and J&B. At peace...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
SS my Friend,

Its hard isnt it.
Taking back the power.

If you listen to it you could be fooled thinking you can handle one or two glasses..... maybe i could enjoy another beer, one last single malt, a vodka, a tequila, a pernod, a guinness ...... what is true ? what is real ?

Bisous.
V.
Vman, thing is there is no doubt in my mind that I don’t want it. I know it brings only pain. I have accepted it. I do have cravings, but they are for sugar, unfortunately.

It’s this loooong healing time. I want to have the ease in life again.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Mr

Ok you had me worried !
Im pretty sure the ease in life will come and it will be sweet.
In any case stay strong and posting and thanks again for your support the weekend before last
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
SS my Friend,

Its hard isnt it.
Taking back the power.

Bisous.
V.
Vman, thing is there is no doubt in my mind that I don’t want it. I know it brings only pain. I have accepted it. I do have cravings, but they are for sugar, unfortunately.

It’s this loooong healing time. I want to have the ease in life again.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I Found focussing on my own happiness was counter productive. The more I pandered to self, the unhappier I got. Then I heard this really radical idea, which I tried.

Do someone else a good turn, and don't get found out...

See how that makes you feel. (It is harder than it sounds)
Ha. I totally get what you’re saying...and I’d do that if my entire life was not already 90% spent of service to others, with home and work.

The only thing I do for myself during waking hours is the gym: the rest is literally for everyone else. Parents, adult kids, younger kid, my husband, my work....everyone else gets it all.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I needed every.single.word of this post today. Sassy, THANK YOU for posting this, and THANK ALL OF YOU for replying.

Just, thanks.....
Old 12-06-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was the fixer and the General Manager for everyone.

I had a lot of fear about losing control - which was ironic considering how drink I got - but even that was a kind of control - a (futile) attempt at a controlled burnoff, or a a reset button if you will.

Making not wanting to see a Dr is one of those mixed/pride fear things?

Either way it's a behavior that does neither of us any good sassy - so no good reason to keep it, yeah?

D
Really ringing true. Yes, it was a kind of reset button, or a “this is just for me because youve all drained me,” and also a bit of a control thing....I know exactly how I’ll feel when I do this, and I know exactly the misery it will give me later, it’s a predictable and controllable misery, not like all the miseries out of my control. Not having it as a reason or an excuse for all the other things still feels strange this early on.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I might have been close to the bullseye there

Honestly, I think I'm of more service now that I've instituted boundaries and have taught myself only to take responsibility for the things that are mine to deal with.

If I'm an engine, I'm well maintained and serviced now...not running on overdrive and breaking down repeatedly...
D