Notices

Extreme mood swings

Old 11-30-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

Extreme mood swings

Hey everyone

Really having a hard time today alcohol is on my mind alot. Yesterday I got a new car and my mood was through the roof with excitement, so excited that I forgot to eat. and then today someone had made a comment about my skin (sadly I have had an acne flare up) and it's made me extremely down. Now I can't stop thinking about drinking and iv no time to get to a meeting today.

I feel like my moods are amplified right now, I'm also weaning off smoking cannabis I think this could also be a trigger.

Trying so hard to keep myself in the right head space taking time out just now to eat a meal.

Lpg
Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

I know a lot of things made me think of alcohol initially as it was programmed in my head as a solution, though no matter what it was for, it always became THE immediate problem. Took some time for it to become ingrained as being a ridiculous solution for anything at all. Buying a car and having a new car was something that would drive me also. Energy, excitement and the feeling everything was under control would have been a dangerous time for me also. Eating and exercise are also of utmost importance.

I can't really comment on the cannabis. Really all I could say is that to self examine and and follow your inner voice. Alcohol has always been an immediate problem for ME, and would have to have primary focus. Just be honest about what you want to do, what you have to do, but more importantly what you are going to do.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In early days everything was reason to pick up. Of course, I spent years using alcohol in every situation. I didn't even know emotions. Not only that, my nervous system was amped up/high alert after removing the sedative drug. Pot is the same, so you're going through it pretty strong in early sobriety.

It gets better. Hang on.

I kept saying to myself, "I'm not going to drink, no matter what."

I took a lot of long walks, did jumping jacks or pushups or whatever activity was possible. Vigorous movement bleeds off that nervous energy. Quiet music.

Box breathing is really good, here's a link:

Box Breathing Navy SEALS
Old 11-30-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Things are definitely going to be a rollercoaster ride for a while LPG. Coming here to talk things through was a good choice. As tofit says, our default reaction to most stressors as addicts is to try and hide/run away from the problem/pain by drinking or using. But of course that doesn't fix the problem, and it generally creates more.

Regarding the cannabis that could absolutely be part of it - it's a mind altering drug that can be used addictively just like alcohol.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My mood was all over the place during my first 6-8 months of sobriety. I didn't know what to expect day to day or even hour to hour.

Just when I would start feeling good I would be blindsided by an emotion and feel as if I was back at square one.

Things have evened out for me now at 13 months sober but I do still have off moments. Yesterday I got a good night sleep and felt really good and energetic all day; today I woke up feeling anxious and today I feel off.

Today I have the tools to deal with my feelings. I just need to identify the cause of why I feel the way I do, pray on it or talk to somebody about it, then let it go.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One thing is for certain. Your not going to drink today. Your committed to sobriety. You know it's the right thing to do. So go eat. Stay busy. Work your plan and get alcoholism off your back. We all go thru this early on. Your no different. You have to give it time.
And YES, quit smoking pot. That can and will jeopardise your sobriety. Just my opinion on that.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Medication and therapy, group and/or individual, are also tools you can use. Although not for everyone, they were instrumental for me in getting and keeping sober.

Mood swings are a near certainty in recovery. They could be due to the withdrawal alone, or could be a symptom of a dual diagnosis.

Giving up ANY substance in early recovery, even caffeine or nicotine, can be a huge trigger for drinking. Cannabis is a great "number," I bet it's contributing to your cravings. Feelings and experiences are so much sharper when you give up weed, and I've certainly met people that were in recovery for chronic marijuana use.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there.
It does get better.
You're just a bundle of exposed nerve endings...as you should be when you are newly sober. This is normal.

Do you have any sober contacts you can call? Can you take a walk? Drink a milkshake? Watch a movie? Call a friend?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah the mood swings suck. They're hard to deal with. It's all well and good to say find a nice distraction but it's not always possible is it.

Sorry, just commiserating with you. I'm not much help today.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it gets better. No judgement on the pot just adding my two cents: I did a sobriety stint using edibles, and it was harder than this time. I believe the edibles delayed the psychological healing, when I was using, I was not working through my problems, I was just floating or sleeping. At the end of two months, I hadn’t made the progress I have made this time. Sobriety does take some work. Every time you work through a craving you teach your brain and then that work gets easier. Using substances is not doing the work.

Sometimes we are just getting by. I understand and support that. But the work of sobriety still has to be done.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey everyone thanks for all the replys, feel more normal now I know it's all part of my recovery I thought I was losing you mind yesterday. I didn't touch a drop of alcohol managed to work my way through it. I knew I wouldn't drink but in my mind it was all I could think about. I'm really not willing to go backwards. When I feel great It really makes it all worth it I know picking up a drink will not resolve my thought process it will only make it worse. I think when I'm feeling great I almost feel like I'm 'cured' but I quickly realise there is no cure it's going to be a lifestyle change and one I will have to fight at to make work.

Took myself off to bed early and had a great sleep and its worked wonders. Sometimes taking care of ourself's comes first I realised I hadn't slept much in the last few days.
I have an aa meeting today hopefully I can share a little today and start working through these feelings and cravings.

I'm so worried about sharing my nerves always get the better of me.
Lpg
Old 12-01-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're doing better today. This process is bloody hard and the mood swings are awful, especially if you're prone to them anyway.

Good luck at your meeting!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is an emotional rollercoaster for a while - but it gets better

Good job on working on giving up the weed too

D