Notices

Trying to Stay Sober Again

Old 11-25-2017, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Trying to Stay Sober Again

This is my second thread I've made since the first one that I've created, as a newcomer, when I was trying to become sober. Since that first thread I started drinking again. I can't remember how many times I've failed at my attempts to remain sober. I swayed away from the forum, group sessions and friends for a while since I picked up the habit again. I tend to isolate myself when I start drinking again and that's how others can tell that I've possibly been drinking again.

Today will be my 10th day without having a single drop and I do feel pretty happy about it. I was sent to the hospital and almost got a DUI, which made me get a grip on the gravity of my problem. I had a bit too much to drink one morning and I was heading back home. I didn't remember driving home, but I was woken up in my vehicle (in my driveway) with the police and medics pulling me out of my vehicle (someone reported me). I was thinking to myself "I messed up, I can't believe I did this."
I was at a .56, which I know is really bad and the first few days of not drinking were hard, but I made it through the hard part of withdrawal. I mainly drank because it felt good and I would feel sick without it so it would become an endless cycle of drinking just to feel "normal". Eventually this cycle would catch up and hit me hard because the amount of my drinking would continually increase until my body can't take it anymore.
After I had sobered up, I was picked up by a family member and I swore to myself I will never drink again especially knowing that I could have hurt someone that day. I am just tired of living like I have been. I have remained sober since that incident.

For anyone who is trying to quit, it is very possible. You just have to have the willpower to do it. One of the ways I try to stay away from it is to think of all the negative things that come from drinking. Think of how much better and healthier you will feel sober and try to attend AA sessions.

I go to a group session every Friday at a church and I find that it helps me and also helps me keep drinking off of my mind. I've met some good people at the group and exchanged numbers with them so we can keep in touch with each other and to have someone to talk to if I feel like I'm about to slip up again.

Since becoming sober, I've been more motivated and productive and am going to try to get my job back. I even finally cleaned up my room and the house which I never did when I was drinking. I save more money (not spending money on alcohol and the fuel to drive back and forth all the time). My family can tell that my mood is much better and I am a lot more happier and outgoing. If I have the urge to drink, I'll remember how terrible I felt physically and mentally. I'd think about all the people I hurt and promises I've broken because of drinking.

I know 10 days isn't that long, but it still means a lot to me knowing that I do have the potential to stop and stay sober. I take it a day at a time.
I thought I'd just share my experience and what I'm currently going through now. I hope that anyone struggling with alcoholism can succeed and stay sober. Being sober, to me, is the best feeling ever.

Again, I wish luck to anyone who is trying to turn their life around and get back on the right path. It will very much be worth it.
Thanks for reading
Old 11-25-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 10 days Mancini and thanks for sharing your story. It sound like you have a good plan in place to keep moving forward in sobriety, don't forger SR is always here if you need some additional support.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back and congrats on 10 days

D
Old 11-25-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you
I was bothered when I woke up because I had a dream that I was drinking again and I enjoyed it when I was dreaming it. I woke up thinking "what in the world?" and just tried to forget about the dream and move on.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep it up man. You can do this. Sounds like you realize you have a disease and not just a drinking problem. You gotta start somewhere. Your on day 11 today. That's AWESOME. Just stay busy and develop a plan of action. Get active in your support group. Anything to combat the disease.
Your doing fine. Hi, I'm Wayne.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm still hanging in there. I was sorting through my filing cabinet last night and came across half a bottle of vodka. I stared at it for a bit until I dumped it down the drain. I missed that bottle when I was cleaning my room of all the empty bottles. I would have hiding spots that I would forget about. But I dumped it all out and it made me feel pretty good about myself.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heck yeah, that's good stuff. It's the little things we do to solidify acceptance. Keep it up.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done! 10 days is great. You sound very determined which is a huge part of staying sober.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You sound positive to me, making changes to support sobriety and doing things to help you stay sober: throwing out alcohol, reaching out to other people in recovery, talking yourself down from drinking when cravings hit. Almost two weeks now! Glad things are going well for you.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Mancini1337 View Post
Thank you
I was bothered when I woke up because I had a dream that I was drinking again and I enjoyed it when I was dreaming it. I woke up thinking "what in the world?" and just tried to forget about the dream and move on.
Congrats on 10 days well done 👏 I've had those dreams last time I quit and they are like nightmares. Waking up in panic. This time I keep having dreams about picking party dresses for nights out I won't be going on... What the hell. They are only dreams that's what I keep telling myself.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
You sound positive to me, making changes to support sobriety and doing things to help you stay sober: throwing out alcohol, reaching out to other people in recovery, talking yourself down from drinking when cravings hit. Almost two weeks now! Glad things are going well for you.
Yes, I feel much more positive now. I still stick with the group session and reach out to my close friends and people from the group. Throwing out that alcohol was an amazing feeling.
I was grocery shopping at my old place of work and many of my coworkers were happy to see me and could definitely tell that I look much better and look good (most of them including management knew I have a problem). They said they hope I can get back into my position, which I am trying to do. I just have to set up an appointment and see if they will take me back in. Now that I have been sober, I miss working.

2 weeks, sober, will be a record for me and I believe I can make it. I will admit that when I saw that bottle hidden, I did have an urge to drink some of it, but I knew what would happen if I did. I just made a list of the negative things that arise from drinking and the positives of staying sober, which I will look at if I ever get the urge to drink again.

Thanks for the support everyone. I enjoy reading everyone's feedback and talking about this kind of stuff.

Last edited by Mancini1337; 11-26-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile 1 Month Sober

Sobriety Update
  • Start Date: November 15, 2017
  • Days Sober: 30 days, 20 hours

It's been a little while since my last post. I didn't want to bump my thread constantly and bug people, so I try to stick with every once in a while posts. I've stuck to writing in my journal, pretty much.

Staying sober has definitely been becoming easier. Today I reached the 1 month mark of sobriety, which is definitely a great deal to me. For a while, I didn't think I could even make it a whole month. I had not a single drop since the day I quit.

Of course, I still have the thoughts of getting a drink. It happens and all I can do is just tell myself it's not worth it. Yesterday was kind of difficult. I was arguing with my lady a little and usually when this happened, I would go straight to the liqour store. I sat down and thought to myself knowing that if I drank because I was mad, it would just make me angrier and bring me back to the old destructive cycle I was in before. I try to learn to cope with stress and anger with other things besides alcohol such as reading, playing computer games, etc. This has really helped me because drinking would just stress me out more and make me angrier, but trying to cope without booze makes me calm down faster and before I know it, I feel perfectly fine.

I have been studying for the CompTIA A+ exams the past half month, which has been going pretty well. I've made it through a great portion of my book and my memory has really improved. I couldn't stick to my studies for the life of me when I was drinking because I would just lose interest, but I actually find joy in reading and trying to expand my knowledge. I've been studying everyday and doing hands-on computer work.

Being sober is honestly the best decision I've ever made and I believe that sobriety is what will keep me alive.
For anyone trying to quit, you won't regret the decision to become sober even if the first few days or weeks is tough, you will begin feeling like a new person and having so much more energy.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 30 days Mancini

D