Notices

Meeting @12.30 nervous as hell

Old 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good job LPG,

I remember my first meetings too. I actually drove away from more meetings than I attended the first couple of months. It makes me laugh thinking back on it but my anxiety was running rampant.

I would suggest attending different types of meetings in different parts of town. They all have different vibes.

As for your last drinking episode, I wouldn't worry about making amends just yet. Get sober, stay sober, work on your sobriety, and everyone around you will see the changes in you. When the time is right you will be able to face to face and you'll know what to say.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Glad it went well! It gets easier really fast.

I was lucky. I had my first meetings in rehab with some people I'd met, but knew already. Actually the first was a group that I didn't know was a meeting!

I remember when they asked if there were any alcoholics present I didn't raise my hand, and said I wasn't sure. The lead said it was a very honest answer and was fine with it. Trust me, it only took me a day or two to start raising my hand.

I was really nervous about my first outside meeting, and I would only go to gay and lesbian meetings at first. It was fine, and it's a good group.

One of my reasons to continue drinking was that I didn't want to go to meetings. For realz.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Good job LPG,

I remember my first meetings too. I actually drove away from more meetings than I attended the first couple of months. It makes me laugh thinking back on it but my anxiety was running rampant.

I would suggest attending different types of meetings in different parts of town. They all have different vibes.

As for your last drinking episode, I wouldn't worry about making amends just yet. Get sober, stay sober, work on your sobriety, and everyone around you will see the changes in you. When the time is right you will be able to face to face and you'll know what to say.

Good luck
Last time I decided I needed help I toyed with going to a meeting but anxiety got the best of me and so the cycle continued. I dug my heels in hard and the thought I could moderate and be 'normal' whatever that is eh. Learning to not feel envious of people who can moderate will help me also, I'm not a jealous person whatsoever but I sure seem to be when it comes to that.

My parents witnessed last episode, I still don't know what I have done and quite honestly I don't want to know either. My partner has kindly not persecuted me for my actions but I know it wasn't pretty. I have avoided like the plague. Hopefully I can make it right.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Last time I decided I needed help I toyed with going to a meeting but anxiety got the best of me and so the cycle continued. I dug my heels in hard and the thought I could moderate and be 'normal' whatever that is eh. Learning to not feel envious of people who can moderate will help me also, I'm not a jealous person whatsoever but I sure seem to be when it comes to that.

My parents witnessed last episode, I still don't know what I have done and quite honestly I don't want to know either. My partner has kindly not persecuted me for my actions but I know it wasn't pretty. I have avoided like the plague. Hopefully I can make it right.
I知 still grappling with shame about my last drunk. Two months ago. I don稚 know when I will be able to deal with it. Reconsidering doing steps for real if it might help me release my humiliation.

Sober recovery is the bomb with that sort of thing though....you値l find hundreds of people here who did things they regret, but pushed forward with sobriety and hold their heads high. It just takes time.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well done on going! I haven't been to one yet and I'm definitely nervous do I understand your anxiety. Hopefully my experience will be positive just like yours
Old 11-17-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I知 still grappling with shame about my last drunk. Two months ago. I don稚 know when I will be able to deal with it. Reconsidering doing steps for real if it might help me release my humiliation.

Sober recovery is the bomb with that sort of thing though....you値l find hundreds of people here who did things they regret, but pushed forward with sobriety and hold their heads high. It just takes time.
Sorry your feeling this way too, It's so horrible the torture it gives you afterwards it's like a horror movie replaying in my mind and then it goes dark and the rest I make up which is even more torture. Have u done the steps before?

I'm grateful for this page Im really going to use it as much as I can this time if it keeps me pushing forward.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by scaredikklegoth View Post
Well done on going! I haven't been to one yet and I'm definitely nervous do I understand your anxiety. Hopefully my experience will be positive just like yours
Hey scared. Thank you and yes it is scary but I tell you what I'm so glad I went, waking up this morning an extra bit more driven. Good luck with your first meeting ul be just fine ☺
Old 11-18-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Sitting waiting to go to my first meeting and iv cried all morning nearly been sick and nervous as hell. I can do this!! I'm forcing myself!
It is nerve wracking but so so worth it! You値l have a good time with good people and learn lots.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey LPG,

How are things? Have you been hitting more meetings?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey
Last night was good I didn't drink but cravings where there as I had friends message me asking if I was drinking.

Also I came home from work a annoyed at myself work my choice of conversation to a client. I'm a hairstylist and a client came in a little hungover and had a wedding... I told her 'oh ul be fine, just get back on it and ul feel better' WTF?!? I was reeling at myself for even saying it.
Think I'm going to try another meeting today.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hair of the dog.

Because you are not drinking doesn't mean you have to advocate for sobriety. What others do or say is out of your control.

One quote that I heard early in sobriety at a meeting, It's always better to be sober in a meeting of alcoholics anonymous thinking about drinking, than it is to be drunk on a bar stool thinking about getting sober.

The cravings will come and that's why it's important to work a program. If you are choosing to do AA then get a sponsor and start working the steps. Those steps are magic and they work. Good luck LPG