Notices

Meeting @12.30 nervous as hell

Old 11-17-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

Meeting @12.30 nervous as hell

Sitting waiting to go to my first meeting and iv cried all morning nearly been sick and nervous as hell. I can do this!! I'm forcing myself!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's going to be fine. You can do this!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lpg

Wish I would stop crying and pacing. I have to go though even if I have to crawl in.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, you can do it.
I was more anxious than scared. But I forced myself after many failed attempts.
GO. Have a cup of coffee, if you like. I just listened for about my first twenty meetings.
Best to you and report backl!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're all behind you LPG

D
Old 11-17-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Sitting waiting to go to my first meeting and iv cried all morning nearly been sick and nervous as hell. I can do this!! I'm forcing myself!

Yes, it's nervous going to your first meeting but you don't have to say anything.

Just introduce yourself by first name and say you're an alcoholic. Then sit back and listen.

You are not required to say anything or talk with anyone.

My first meeting I said nothing and left right afterwards.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lpg

I'm outside super early but I'm here. Stopped crying. Hope I don't make an arse of myself and cry the whole way through. Usually I need alcohol to go to any kind of gathering due to social anxiety so this is new for me.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lpg

Thanks everyone for encouraging me I don't think I would have got in the car if I didn't post here
Old 11-17-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good on ya!!!
let us know how it goes,eh?

the doors to my first meeting were the hardest,heaviest doors i ever opened, and they were automatic doors.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya!!!
let us know how it goes,eh?

the doors to my first meeting were the hardest,heaviest doors i ever opened, and they were automatic doors.
Roger that. I found it very nerve racking walking into the room for the first time.

Here's a bit about my first meeting which I share when I am asked to tell my story at a speaker meeting. (I like to use notes...)

Saturday night 7 maybe 7-8 members attended and here’s what I remember:

1 Step 1 I noticed shortly after sitting down hit me like a ton of bricks. My life was unmanageable that much was clear and I had no problem admitting I was powerless over alcohol.

2 The chairperson said he recently celebrated 10 years of sobriety and that was something I just couldn’t comprehend. He might as well said he went to the moon.

3 About half way through the meeting this guy rushes in and sits next to me. He goes on about a 3-day bender he just came off and I had never heard anyone speak about drinking like that. It made a strong impression on me.

4 After the meeting this guy named Dan came up and introduced himself. Seemed friendly enough. Next the guy chairing the meeting gave me a copy of the living sober book.

Then I bolted out the door.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lpg

I done it and I stayed the whole meeting and I'm filled with relief. Relief iv took the first steps.
For the first time I have a little bit of clarity and hope. Everyone was lovely and welcoming and more than anything true and inspiring. I'm not going to say I got it all as at parts I didn't, it's overwhelming with all this new information but in a good way. Small group only 6 including me. I tried to introduce myself (que tears) so decided to pass and listen.
3 people gave me their numbers which I thought was very amazing. Wow what an hour my head is spinning.
I want to say huge thank you for everyone on this page I truly think you guys helped me in that door! So thanks.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's fantastic Lpg, kudos for going and giving things a shot. Getting sober is pretty overwhelming so don't feel like you need to "get it" right away. You found some others who are seeking the same thing you are, you have some numbers to call which will be a valuable local support tool - sounds like you accomplished plenty!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's fantastic Lpg, kudos for going and giving things a shot. Getting sober is pretty overwhelming so don't feel like you need to "get it" right away. You found some others who are seeking the same thing you are, you have some numbers to call which will be a valuable local support tool - sounds like you accomplished plenty!
Thanks. It's baby steps but I know this is my last chance to turn it around before I end up too far down the line. Its not a choice anymore it's a certainty that I have to give this everything. Jeez I'm shattered now what a roller-coaster of emotions.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, things will be a rollercoaster for a while, that's perfectly normal. Getting sober is a major lifestyle change, so it's bound to have a few bumps along the way, right?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep coming back Lpg, it's more worth it than you can imagine,
Old 11-17-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Just remember, EVERY person in that room had a first meeting at some point and probably felt like you do.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Thanks. It's baby steps but I know this is my last chance to turn it around before I end up too far down the line. Its not a choice anymore it's a certainty that I have to give this everything. Jeez I'm shattered now what a roller-coaster of emotions.
good on ya!!
oh hell yes a roller coaster! that WILL get better with T.I.M.E.
over T.I.M.E. , the peaks and valleys of the roller coaster got closer together for me. i dont want that roller coaster to be just a straight line ,though, for 2 reasons:
1- a straight line run to me would be no feelings or emotions, which was something i drank for- to try and stop/change certain feeling or emotions.
2- a straight line on a heart monitor is NOT a good thing.

keep comin back- it works if ya work it so work it YOURE WORTH IT!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya!!
oh hell yes a roller coaster! that WILL get better with T.I.M.E.
over T.I.M.E. , the peaks and valleys of the roller coaster got closer together for me. i dont want that roller coaster to be just a straight line ,though, for 2 reasons:
1- a straight line run to me would be no feelings or emotions, which was something i drank for- to try and stop/change certain feeling or emotions.
2- a straight line on a heart monitor is NOT a good thing.

keep comin back- it works if ya work it so work it YOURE WORTH IT!
Thank you
I'd much rather take the roller-coaster and feel everything than end up in the black out again, the blackness is a much scarier place to be and one time it might be a permanent blackout... I don't like the odds for that anyway.

Still avoiding everyone who witnessed last binge.... Family and friends, trying to figure out when's best to come out of hiding and face the looks and awkward silences.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA member

Well done LPG on facing the fear and attending the meeting.

So pleased you got phone numbers,the fellowship as it should be.

Wishing you well.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by 48heath View Post
Well done LPG on facing the fear and attending the meeting.

So pleased you got phone numbers,the fellowship as it should be.

Wishing you well.
Thank you feeling good for ripping off that plaster. This page is great too you guys are all so encouraging.