Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Witnessed a DUI in progress in the middle of town

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

Driving through town after work as the winter light darkened, my mind wandered to, "It's been pretty easy...but it's going to get rough at some point and I have to stay one step ahead. I must not forget how bad I've wanted to be back to my sober and REAL self..."

turn a corner and boom!

Red and blue lights flashing, two cop cars on either side of this woman practically falling out of the driver's seat onto the pavement, another cop car swooping in.

Dear God, why did I ever go back to what you saved me from? NEVER AGAIN.

I know one lost soul I will be praying for tonight, other than my own.

Humility and not passing judgement are the cornerstones of sobriety, I believe. But in all honesty, it is good to be sober tonight. And I needed to remember where drinking once led me - I was that woman once too. And once is enough.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was that woman too. Ditto once was more than enough.

I absolutely totaled my dad's car when I did it, it took years for him to forgive and forget. I must have had a guardian angel over me that night because if another car had been coming towards me when I lost control the consequences would have been utterly hideous.

Six months after I was convicted the Diane Schuler incident happened and my blood ran cold at how I could have been her. Even in my darkest/stupidest/reckless moments since then I never got behind the wheel drunk again. I got lucky once, didn't want to chance it again.

I hope she appreciates how fortunate she was she didn't hurt or kill anyone and this is her wake up call.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

Yes you are so right - how lucky we were. I ignored so many signs! So many times I dented my car driving home drunk! And every morning I'd wake up worried I go to the garage and find a person plastered to my front plate. You'd think I'd learn then.

I wasn't far from where I left; I was in a neighborhood and was driving a rental car, because mine was in the shop for one of the many dents I caused driving drunk. Passed out at the wheel and ran into a two parked cars right outside their house. And instead of coming out enraged, the first words out of their mouths were, "Oh my God! Are you alright?! Don't move - stay in the car and don't move or you may hurt yourself more!"

6 years ago and it still haunts me sometimes. Probably a blessing that I don't and carry that scar with me.

She and all those around her were very lucky - she was in the middle turning lane on Main Street, crowded with pedestrians. She won't think so now, but this was a blessing and hopefully the wake-up call she needed.

I am going to do all I can to never need a wake-up call like that again. #nomore
Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I’m amazed I never got a DUI, or far worse, a serious accident.