Notices

Proud of my first month...

Old 11-07-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Proud of my first month...

Well, here I am, like I hoped I would be a month ago, then three weeks ago, then two, then one, and the last time, just two days ago. 30 days clean and sober; 1 month. Counting the hours at first, then the days, and finally the weeks. Going on SR four or five times a day, and feeling bad and scared when I see how many people on our Forum are suffering and succumbing or giving in, albeit just for a day or a weekend; some for much, much longer periods of time. And I won't lie here; I somehow drew strength from their setbacks. From them falling... Because I have done that and been there so many, many times.
This time, though, I believed it to be my turn. My turn to make it, and at the end, to walk with my head held high, glad and proud to have made it this far. I know a month is not much when measured against some of the people posting on SR, but to me it is the longest I have been sober in almost five years. Right now, I'm treating myself to some ice-cream and pudding and tinned peaches and pears (it's almost 40 degrees Celsius in Pretoria, South Africa - 104 Fahrenheit). Tomorrow, I'll get up feeling still better than I do today, and tell myself: day one of month number two, Corrie. Early days, but you're going to get there, this time around...
I'll focus on that light at the end of the recovery-tunnel, which I think will get brighter each and every sober day.
Thanks to all of my SR friends and supporters. Too many to mention by name, but you all know who you are. I honestly believe that without your support, I wouldn't be writing this post.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congratulations Corriec - one month is definitely a HUGE accomplishment. Thank you for sharing your struggles and success...that's very helpful to others to see what is possible if you put your best effort forward.

On another note, it's only about 25 degrees Fahrenheit here in Northern Wisconsin today, so i'm slightly jealous of your weather too ;-)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mr

Bump : "I'll focus on that light at the end of the recovery-tunnel, which I think will get brighter each and every sober day."
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post and way to go Corrie!! Right behind you at 23 days and keeping my eye on the one month marker!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats Corriec! That first month is a hard fought one.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great accomplishment, corriec!

You're doing this ... good for you.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations corriec, that's a great achievement. . I found the light brightened incrementally as I neared the end of the tunnel. I loved that analogy in your other thread. I'm standing in sunshine now (metaphorically) it's a grey day here in the UK, but my inner light is shining brightly.........
Old 11-07-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your month Corrie! Your attitude is much like mine: drinking is never an option!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats. Great work!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your month corriec
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot, Scott. Good to hear from one of my first SR friends/mentors. Too hot here for me, I'm afraid. Always been a winter person. Although, in South Africa - Pretoria in particular, the temp. never goes below freezing, even in the worst of winter. I think that's around 32 degrees Fahrenheit?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats, Corriec, one month is awesome! I hope you’ll keep plowing on, like we all do. Best of luck and treat yourself to a nice piece of cake!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, Tatsy, Sassy, Culture, ljc, Opivotal, Upstairs, Donny, Vman, Mac, and everybody else.
Nighttime here, and almost (early) time for bed. A bit of reading, planning and daydreaming. Then sleep (tons better than a month ago) and hopefully no dreams. But even if there are, they are rarely nightmares now, and not coupled with sour-smelling sweat, soaked sheets and pillowcases; still going to the loo a couple of times a night, but not six or seven times like I used to.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
Too hot here for me, I'm afraid. Always been a winter person. Although, in South Africa - Pretoria in particular, the temp. never goes below freezing, even in the worst of winter. I think that's around 32 degrees Fahrenheit?
I prefer cool weather myself, although around here it gets downright freezing sometimes, and I don't like that all that much ;-) Sometimes we'll have stretches where it never gets above freezing for weeks at a time and extreme lows can range all the way down to -10 F ( -24 c ) or even lower. It's best to just stay inside on those days ;-)
Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sober style

good job, corriec
Old 11-07-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

One month - simply fabulous, corriec. Life will get even better.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Very nice. You are doing great.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You're doing so well ^_^
Old 11-07-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats!
That first month is a biggie. It gets better. Just keep moving forward.