Notices

went to a bar to play music

Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

went to a bar to play music

I went to a bar to play music. everyone else was drinking and such of course. I just had a water. I oddly didnt track others drinks or even obsess about the booze. i made some typical drinking conversation with the others and mentioned how i'm boring i dont drink and left it at that.

I also got a kick out of listening to them on the way. "oh i'm just gonna have 2 i gotta drive home" another "oh i'm only gonna have one i gotta study for school" another "i gotta drive home take care of the kids so just a few for me" inside i just laughed my butt off at this kinda talk thinking how can anyone possibly drink like this for me it was all or nothing 1 was too many and a million was never enough. I thought people that drink like this just crack me up and found the chatter entertaining. Then we got there and sure enough they all pretty much stuck to there limitations I thought oh man these folks totally dont have my disease lol.

Part of me wanted to tell them all how i'm a raging alcholic and thats why i dont drink. I really did i thought it would be comical to joke about them and there ability to only have 1 or 2 and how i cant even begin to fathom how someone could even drink like that.

But i just left it alone and smiled inside and enjoyed the evening couldnt care less that I didnt have any drinks.

And we played some songs for the bar too so it was fun!.

think about that for a sec an alcholic walks into a bar doesnt ahve a drink and still has fun!! wow amazing.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I went to a bar to play music. everyone else was drinking and such of course. I just had a water. I oddly didnt track others drinks or even obsess about the booze. i made some typical drinking conversation with the others and mentioned how i'm boring i dont drink and left it at that.

I also got a kick out of listening to them on the way. "oh i'm just gonna have 2 i gotta drive home" another "oh i'm only gonna have one i gotta study for school" another "i gotta drive home take care of the kids so just a few for me" inside i just laughed my butt off at this kinda talk thinking how can anyone possibly drink like this for me it was all or nothing 1 was too many and a million was never enough. I thought people that drink like this just crack me up and found the chatter entertaining. Then we got there and sure enough they all pretty much stuck to there limitations I thought oh man these folks totally dont have my disease lol.

Part of me wanted to tell them all how i'm a raging alcholic and thats why i dont drink. I really did i thought it would be comical to joke about them and there ability to only have 1 or 2 and how i cant even begin to fathom how someone could even drink like that.

But i just left it alone and smiled inside and enjoyed the evening couldnt care less that I didnt have any drinks.

And we played some songs for the bar too so it was fun!.

think about that for a sec an alcholic walks into a bar doesnt ahve a drink and still has fun!! wow amazing.
My husband is in a band, he's got a big gig coming up next month. I'll be there. I'm more of a diet coke girl than water, though! I am weirdly looking forward to seeing with clear eyes what drinking does to people. Usually I'm just as trashed.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is interesting to go to bars sober. I see people and can just see it in their eyes, 'yup, they're like I was'.
I sure don't miss drinking, but still like to go to a club once in awhile. Seven-Up for me.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I play a lot around the place. I did a fair amount of drunk watching for a while but to be honest unless they're obnoxious they're part of the background for me

I find most of the time I'm focused on my music and what I need to do in the next song or next set.

It's good to end the night and feel tired and a little exhilarated rather than wasted.

Congrats zjw

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

its nice to feel ok about going and all instead of being afraid to step in there or concerned about the stigma or bad memories etc.. or afraid i'll pick up.

at the same time I know i cant get complacent either or lower my guard.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for sharing the good news, zjw. I feel the same way now.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

i guess one thing that gets me is it only took 6 years to get to this point lol. I feel like i'm a slow learner lol. but i guess i was quite the mess going into this sober thing and well it took many years to screw myself up its gonna take many years to get myself better lol.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To thine own self be true, Z. That is one thing you have always shown. You listen to the wisdom within.

I sometimes think "what if I accidentally" or something - but that's just that AV trying a different angle to get in. There is no crack in the door. It's sealed shut. With concrete and a steel gate over it.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
i guess one thing that gets me is it only took 6 years to get to this point lol. I feel like i'm a slow learner lol. but i guess i was quite the mess going into this sober thing and well it took many years to screw myself up its gonna take many years to get myself better lol.
Thanks for sharing this.

It took a good bit of time for me to come to a coexistence with alcohol.

In other words, having a perspective of recovery when I am around it.

Now, I sit at bars to eat more than I sit at tables.

I am largely disinterested in what's going on behind the bar or what people are drinking.

I am there for food, some sports on television (if there is something worth watching) and some camaraderie.

I go to many places where alcohol is present (concerts, football (US style) games, basketball games, baseball games, car races, concerts and other types of shows, but I am going to see the contests or productions and to not vicariously enjoy being around alcohol (I don't feel that way anyway).

This coming weekend, I will be in Texas for a NASCAR race, and I plan to go to the Mecca of all ***** tonks (Billy Bob's), where I have wanted to go for many years, and to a similar venue to see one of my all-time favorite Texas country musicians, Gary P. Nunn.

I can do that and enjoy myself.

I will report as to how things go.