Notices

Withdrawals

Old 10-30-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals

Hi everyone, I come from a family of alcoholics. I'm 40 years old and have always drank heavily on and off for most of my life. The last two years, however, after my divorce, I've drank quite heavily. Almost every day. Quite a bit. Prob 8-10 drinks. I quit a few days ago and have just found myself out of it. Really anxious, restless, too much energy as I drink a lot of caffeine, fearful of the future, worrisome, etc. I've had no shakes or anything noticeably symptomatic besides really high blood pressure for my age. Just feel really "off" if that makes sense. Almost paranoid too. Just got out of control really quickly. Had anyone experienced similar symptoms when quitting? Any advice is greatly appreciated! God Bless.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if you are experiencing withdrawal but you may very well be and if that is the case then you need to see a medical professional asap. Do not attempt to detox from alcohol by yourself. Withdrawals without medical assistance can be fatal.

I experienced withdrawal symptoms and I was a binge drinker. The symptoms you described remind me of my experiences with alcohol withdrawal. I was very paranoid, extremely anxious, and frightened for days after drinking. It was horribly debilitating, and
Old 10-30-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suggest that you reach out to a doctor or a hospital.

Please don't detox alone. Be safe.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MB24 - Welcome

Those can all be withdrawal signs for sure - and although not everyone has problems with detox, it's not the worst idea in the world to check in with your Dr especially if you're worried and you have a history of high blood pressure?

Best be safe

D.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome MB24. A lot of the things you are feeling are quite common and a lot of us have experienced anxiety/paranoia and the feeling of being "out of control" due to our drinking. Quitting is a great choice and I'm glad you are here.

Regarding withdrawals, as others have mentioned they can be severe for some people. If you are already experiencing some health issues it would be a good idea to let your doctor know to get things checked out. Better to be safe than sorry!