Notices

Questions re outpatient rehab and detox....

Old 10-18-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions re outpatient rehab and detox....

I found an outpatient rehab online that looks pretty good, accepts my insurance, and will fit into my schedule. The problem is that they don't offer any detox or medications for cravings or withdrawals. They advised me to see my primary care physician. The problem is that I went into my physician two years ago for this very same thing. I was getting counseling, and he prescribed naltrexone and a benzo for withdrawal symptoms. It actually worked really well, and I was able to stay sober for almost 3 months. I am embarrassed to go back in to the same Dr. Any ideas? I am drinking 2 bottles of wine per night, and am afraid to quit cold turkey without drugs. Inpatient detox isn't an option because of my kids and schedule.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Forget embarrassment! Relapse or continued drinking is part of addiction - until it's not. This will not be the first time your doctor has heard this. And he may know of an IOP that he recommends from his experience with other patients.

Alternatively, find an IOP that does support outpatient detox. If that isn't possible, I'd return to option 1 as long as you feel confident that you won't abuse the benzos and the prescription is for a very short duration.

I'm in IOP and it's quite helpful in a number of ways even though it is pretty inconvenient and time-sucking. I hope you find it to be beneficial as well.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Garfield. I'd suggest going back to your primary and just being honest. Yes it might be embarrassing, but you don't really have another option, right? Most outpatient programs don't detox and actually require you to be detoxed before you enter. Since the insurance and schedule all line up, i'd make the call to your doc and get things rolling.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Garfield,

Shame, remorse, guilt, pride and resentments keep us in our disease much longer than we want to be. Your PCP wants the best for you in a nonjudgmental way. And if not, they are bound by HIPPA laws that it's your little secret. Sounds like their treatment was helpful therefore I highly suggest swallowing your pride and get the help.

Good luck

just curious, are you female? Only ask because women die from heart attacks at a higher rate than men because they are embarrassed to go to the doctor for mild chest pain.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another vote for going back to your doc. That's great that you've made the moves to get things lined up with the rehab, now just follow their advice and see your doc about getting meds for a home detox.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My IOP in 2016 required five days of sobriety first, I didn't go to the doctor but I probably should have because my bp was so high one day the counselor sent me to urgent care.

I loved IOP, but couldn't afford to finish it. My insurance doesn't cover mental health (alcoholism falls under that).
Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

[QUOTE=Garfield71;6641298 I was getting counseling, and he prescribed naltrexone and a benzo for withdrawal symptoms. It actually worked really well, and I was able to stay sober for almost 3 months. [/QUOTE]

My question is that if it worked really well, why did it only last 3 months? Probably because it didn't work, it was just time between drinks. A trap many an alcoholic has fallen into is the idea that this time it will work if I do more of what didn't work last time.

If you want to stop for good, I suggest looking at more comprehensive treatment options and recovery programs.