Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The not so fun part of sobriety: keeping weight off

Notices

The not so fun part of sobriety: keeping weight off

Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For what its worth: keeping off the obvious junk sugar, sticking to 70% or above dark chocolate (amazing stuff, gives me a little "hit", great natural chemicals in real chocolate!) a little fruit, and very small amounts of non-wheat carbs...plus protein, fat and veggies...basically under 100g a day....and keeping my gym workouts, in just a few days I am down 4 out of the 6 I gained.

In no way am I interested in restriction or being hungry, and I don't think that's necessary to maintain a healthy weight. I love eating. I love experimenting with recipes. I'm going to get very "foodie" with this sober gig. I think its going to be ok...
Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
It's normal to crave sugar after quitting drinking - alcoholics often crave sugar because it boosts serotonin levels.

There are other healthy (and unhealthy) ways to boost feel good neurotransmitters
Calling serotonin a feel good neurotransmitter is an obvious reference to the popular serotonin-as-the-happiness-molecule theory launched and marketed by corporate medicine.

Yet a sizable volume of sound research studies demonstrated that increasing serotonin and tryptophan either with drugs or supplements (not food because food's unlikely to significantly raise tryptophan or serotonin in the brain) is linked to brain dysfunction, stress hormone release, cognitive deficits, inflammation, impaired blood circulation in the brain, hypertension, cancer, and other less than "happy" effects - search online for the scholarly report"Tryptophan Side Effects: L-Tryptophan Is Far From Harmless"

The "serotonin-happiness" mantra, just like the mechanistic simplistic "chemical imbalance" idea, are almost entirely all-too convenient inventions of the medical-pharma business, which allowed them to sell their highly profitable antidepressant drugs, such as SSRIs, while causing massive human destruction. And for agents of the natural medicine industry to sell tryptophan and 5HTP supplements. Because of the vast propaganda of both industries almost everyone repeats their disinformation on serotonin, antidepressants, etc as if it were the truth.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. I'm 8 months sober. I'd decided to give myself a year sobriety before I started contemplating dieting, but had a spurt of motivation and bought the "Atkins Diet" book.
Well, now I'm having to move by Nov 1 and lots of other stressors have reared there ugly head, so the Atkins book is sitting patiently, gathering dust, until I"m ready. Lol.
I think part of sobriety is getting rid of the self loathing felt while we are drinking. So when we gain weight, we are hard on ourselves and our self loathing shifts to the lack of control over our eating habits and weight gain.
I"m learning to just accept myself with the weight, right now. It helps I get to wear scrubs for work . I have yet to buy new clothes, but I think after this move, it's time to buy a few outfits for the "more to love" me. Dieting will be there for me when I'm ready. NOTHING will compromise my sobriety, at this point.
Cheers! (holding a piece of cake in the air)
Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KES06 View Post
I'm right there with you. I'm 8 months sober. I'd decided to give myself a year sobriety before I started contemplating dieting, but had a spurt of motivation and bought the "Atkins Diet" book.
Well, now I'm having to move by Nov 1 and lots of other stressors have reared there ugly head, so the Atkins book is sitting patiently, gathering dust, until I"m ready. Lol.
I think part of sobriety is getting rid of the self loathing felt while we are drinking. So when we gain weight, we are hard on ourselves and our self loathing shifts to the lack of control over our eating habits and weight gain.
I"m learning to just accept myself with the weight, right now. It helps I get to wear scrubs for work . I have yet to buy new clothes, but I think after this move, it's time to buy a few outfits for the "more to love" me. Dieting will be there for me when I'm ready. NOTHING will compromise my sobriety, at this point.
Cheers! (holding a piece of cake in the air)
I wear scrubs for work too! Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying some really cute fitted ones after I lost all my weight. They still fit...for now.

My dilemma is that I *just* put in a ton of work on my weight and fitness. I can't imagine anything more depressing than losing all the work I did over the past two years. I'm just going to have to find a way to not let that happen.

I also have a daughter and a husband who struggle with their weight, and when I bring treats into the house, they get very upset. They feel i am sabotaging them. I try to hide it but they say they know when i have sugar and treats hidden away and they know when I'm eating it....

It's very alcoholic behavior, actually. Last night the craving built and built until I caved with bags of candy. My daughter was so upset.

It's complicated. Food addicts abound in my house. Myself included!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't gain any weight when I quit this time, though I did increase sugary treats for about six months. I've tracked my calorie intake for over a decade, so I knew where I was even when I was drinking. After that six months of increased carb indulgence, I was able to cut it back.

I've had a problematic relationship with sugar since I was a little kid. Addict-kid, I was. I stole money to buy candy, I stole candy. I sat at the drug-store soda fountain counter every day after school and drank cherry cokes and ate candy. I'd take large multi-serving bags of candy into my closet and binge eat them at age eight. Legit sugar demon, I had. There must be some physiological reason why I got such great pleasure from it, but I don't need to argue that here.

As an 11 YO, I discovered alcohol. Immediately I was guzzling vodka out of the bottle until I puked.

Coincidence? I don't think it could be. When I quit drinking in my thirties (in the 1980s,) I ate myself up to 220 pounds. I worked in a restaurant and drank coke all day, ate ice cream every day and lots of fried food. When I started drinking again, it was easier to put down the food, and I lost weight. Seven years later, I had to quit drinking or die trying. I was a healthy weight when I quit drinking in 2014.

Nowadays, almost four years into sobriety I'm still at a BMI of 21-22. I don't like to buy sugary treats because I'll eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I do still buy them on occasion. Not every week, and not more than one of the trigger treats. I have a lengthy list.

Most of the time I try to keep carbs under 150g, unless I'm planning a lot of exercise. 150g a day will fuel an hour a day of exercise, but more exercise means I want/need/get to have more carbs.

It's tolerable, I like higher fat anyway so it suits me and it keeps my binging under control. A binge to me is being about double my daily calorie goal. I know different people have different definitions of binge.

I feel like I've gained control of all of it for the first time in a lot of years. It shouldn't take this long, and it really shouldn't be this difficult! Better late than never.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I didn't gain any weight when I quit this time, though I did increase sugary treats for about six months. I've tracked my calorie intake for over a decade, so I knew where I was even when I was drinking. After that six months of increased carb indulgence, I was able to cut it back.

I've had a problematic relationship with sugar since I was a little kid. Addict-kid, I was. I stole money to buy candy, I stole candy. I sat at the drug-store soda fountain counter every day after school and drank cherry cokes and ate candy. I'd take large multi-serving bags of candy into my closet and binge eat them at age eight. Legit sugar demon, I had. There must be some physiological reason why I got such great pleasure from it, but I don't need to argue that here.

As an 11 YO, I discovered alcohol. Immediately I was guzzling vodka out of the bottle until I puked.

Coincidence? I don't think it could be. When I quit drinking in my thirties (in the 1980s,) I ate myself up to 220 pounds. I worked in a restaurant and drank coke all day, ate ice cream every day and lots of fried food. When I started drinking again, it was easier to put down the food, and I lost weight. Seven years later, I had to quit drinking or die trying. I was a healthy weight when I quit drinking in 2014.

Nowadays, almost four years into sobriety I'm still at a BMI of 21-22. I don't like to buy sugary treats because I'll eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I do still buy them on occasion. Not every week, and not more than one of the trigger treats. I have a lengthy list.

Most of the time I try to keep carbs under 150g, unless I'm planning a lot of exercise. 150g a day will fuel an hour a day of exercise, but more exercise means I want/need/get to have more carbs.

It's tolerable, I like higher fat anyway so it suits me and it keeps my binging under control. A binge to me is being about double my daily calorie goal. I know different people have different definitions of binge.

I feel like I've gained control of all of it for the first time in a lot of years. It shouldn't take this long, and it really shouldn't be this difficult! Better late than never.

Definitely NOT a coincidence. Sugar had total control of me as a child. I connected literally everything I did in my life to whether or not I was getting sugar out of it. I greedily watched other kids eat sandwich bags full of cookies at lunch. I asked for candy when anyone wanted to give me something. As an obese teen, I stole candy, too. Huge bags of peanut m and m's, slid handily into the interior pocket of my jean jacket. I got caught once, stealing candy. Had a probation officer ask me if I was bulimic. No....just a compulsive binge eater. Food addict. The offense went off my record when I turned 18.

Alcohol was such a blessing when I discovered it. I got to a normal weight once I switched sugar out for alcohol, the boys were all interested, everyone was so "proud of me," I remember thinking ha if you only knew....

Sad that the same back and forth sugar-alcohol struggle is still there. Addictions, even in the form of food, are devastating.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think there is probably some part of our genetics that cause this, but it's complicated and always becomes an argument because people don't really agree on this.

I can't take antidepressants (well, SSRIs) because of a polymorphism I have. I've been tested by a pharmacogenetics metabolic pathways test, so I know for a fact that I have a phenotype which causes a metabolic inefficiency regarding some drugs. If I take those (select pharmacological drugs) I don't fully metabolize them at the rate the "normal" population does. It's a well-documented polymorphism in a percentage of the population, and it causes a lot of adverse prescription drug reactions. Many people have a lesser metabolic rate and many have greater along these drug pathways. Thankfully medicine has begun to understand that not all people have the ability to take all drugs safely and therapeutically.

I think of alcoholism and sugar-compulsion in the same way, and I'm sure they are related. Otherwise, why isn't everyone who drinks an alcoholic? Again, so much to say about this, but I have to treat concentrated sugary foods and some other foods like breads, cereals, crackers in the same way I do alcohol - it is a compulsion and once I start I'm not able to stop until I run out, I'm too full or just feel like death.

Luckily sugar (if I do it infrequently) isn't as harmful as alcohol.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes, weight.
I have gained and lost weight several times over the course of my adulthood. Weight Watchers, South Beach , a pre diabetes program called Naturally Slim (that one worked the best. I lost 25 lbs. and kept it off for several years), another pre diabetes program through Omada Health.
I have always gained and lost seasonally as I am less active in winter.
I am currently 15 lbs. over what I consider is a good weight for me.
I don’t eat much sugar, don’t drink anymore, probably eat too many carbs and not enough vegetables.
I love salty snacks, so have to careful about those.
I am trying not to stress about my excess poundage, though I don’t really like the way I look with the extra weight.
I am trying to focus on staying strong and keeping good mobility by practicing yoga, swimming, and walking as I head toward old age.
I’ve gone to gyms all of my life and I am, quite frankly, sick to death of them.
I didn't lose weight after I stopped drinking 4 years ago. Didn’t gain either.
I did lose about a year later through one of pre diabetes programs I mentioned above.
I’m 65, and I do think there is something to the metabolism changes as we age, making it harder to lose weight school of thought.
Oh, and I routinely hit 10,000 steps on my Fitbit.
Sigh.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Old 10-09-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

https://www.thefix.com/content/spoon...-down?page=all
Old 10-09-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

i've lost 7 more pounds since earlier this week. staying active and not eating out for me is key. i blow like 800 bucks a month eating out. that's unacceptable to me. I could buy a fully loaded corvette stingray for that.

however, i did cave tonight and had about 20 cookies. i needed the seratonin boost. I've been having a rough 24 hours.

PS...gonna take some metformin tonight. LOL
Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Wow, i lost about 30 lbs since i went sober 6 months ago.

I am generally vegan, no oil, no sugar. I feel so happy eating my food. I just got vack from a road trip where we had hotel waffles, philly steak sandwiches, pizza, etc. i am so glad to be home to eat my happy steel cut oats, fruit, sweet potatoes, veggies, grains and beans. Very little processed foods.

I highly recommend it.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shitzupuppy View Post
. i am so glad to be home to eat my happy steel cut oats, fruit, sweet potatoes, veggies, grains and beans. Very little processed foods.

I highly recommend it.
problem is, most of this stuff tastes horrible to 90% of the population.

If veggies tasted like gummy bears and sweet potatoes like ribs and fried chicken and God, BEANS tasted like anything but chewed up dirt, well...then hardly any of us would be struggling!!!

i mean that with the utmost respect and admire your choices.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

True, but it's about changing your taste buds. I love bbq and French fries too, but once you give it up a while, you don't crave it. Sugar is addictive so getting it out of your system is a plus. And now when i have them, i get belly aches.

I only started this a couple of years ago. Anyone can do it. I had the added incentive of my body not being able to process fatty foods due to alcohol abuse (pancreas) so i was told to eat low fat foods unless i want the big D all the time.

Even if you only do it until dinnertime, it's a great health benefit.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The paleo diet is another way to get off refined carbohydrate and sugar. I think the Vegan diet is healthful overall as long as people aren't using it as an excuse to mainline PB and J on white bread, although I do believe people still would benefit from eating meat once a week or so to boost nutrition and b-12 in a bioavailable form.

Me: I just need off sugar. It's making me miserable and I don't feel sober. Sobriety is not getting off one substance just to dive headfirst into another one.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
i've lost 7 more pounds since earlier this week. staying active and not eating out for me is key. i blow like 800 bucks a month eating out. that's unacceptable to me. I could buy a fully loaded corvette stingray for that.

however, i did cave tonight and had about 20 cookies. i needed the seratonin boost. I've been having a rough 24 hours.

PS...gonna take some metformin tonight. LOL
There seems to be something to that, reading around here I see that lots of people work as hard as they can to avoid, so end up doing ok because most of the time they eat well...but if there's a rough patch that's just too difficult to get through...eating is better than boozing, hands down.

It's interesting though, "using" at those moments still feels like: "using."

Hope your blood sugar evened out his morning!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well, gotta say, this thread has gotten me moving back into the gym. Did some light weight training today and walked on the outside walking trail.
It’s a gorgeous day today, weather wise, after two days of rain.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Shitzupuppy View Post
True, but it's about changing your taste buds. I love bbq and French fries too, but once you give it up a while, you don't crave it.
This is so true. My body craves what I put into it on a regular basis. When I was drinking, I drank beer. When I quit, my body wanted carbs and sugar. After all, what is beer (of course alcohol) besides carbs and sugar?

I haven' t eaten fast food in a few years now. The last time I did, I rationalized my reasons and fantasized over the wonderfulness that would ensue as a result. It was crap!!!

I couldn't believe that I used to salivate over that same meal.

The other day I was at a hospital getting a bunch of routine tests, exams, flu shot, etc. In between appointments, I needed something to eat especially since I had already fasted for twelve hours for the lab work. I reluctantly went down to the cafeteria to grab a bit to eat. It was all crap. Cheeseburgers and the like. Absoultely nothing was calling to me.

All of a sudden it was like the heavens opened up and a band of angels were singing the hallelujah chorus. The special was brown rice, kale, and acorn squash. This what my body was craving!!!

problem is, most of this stuff tastes horrible to 90% of the population.

If veggies tasted like gummy bears and sweet potatoes like ribs and fried chicken and God, BEANS tasted like anything but chewed up dirt, well...then hardly any of us would be struggling!!!
I can relate, l I used to eat all that stuff. Hell I used to eata quart of ice cream a night, but that type of dietary stuff has no pull on me any more and is not what my body craves.

i am so glad to be home to eat my happy steel cut oats, fruit, sweet potatoes, veggies, grains and beans. Very little processed foods.
This what my body craves. It also can be made with plenty of flavor and pizazz.

I cook for family, friends, and even customers. I just don't tell them how healthy it is otherwise they would probably turn up their noses before trying.

I haven' t eaten fast food in a few years now. The last time I did, I rationalized my reasons and fantasized over the wonderfulness that would ensue as a result. It was crap!!!
Hmmm...where do I know that scenario from...oh yeah alcohol and relapse. :~)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
The paleo diet is another way to get off refined carbohydrate and sugar. I think the Vegan diet is healthful overall as long as people aren't using it as an excuse to mainline PB and J on white bread, although I do believe people still would benefit from eating meat once a week or so to boost nutrition and b-12 in a bioavailable form.

Me: I just need off sugar. It's making me miserable and I don't feel sober. Sobriety is not getting off one substance just to dive headfirst into another one.
Sassy,
I think the key is to do one thing at a time (at least that’s what I hope will work for me). I’ve stopped drinking 3 months ago and now, every day at 9pm sharp I get these cravings (though they seem to be less and less pronounced). But it’s not so much that I crave a drink, no, I crave sugar!

So for now I give in and raid the freezer every night (Tiramisu ice cream, yum!), but I’m already drawing up my battle plans to taper off (as opposed to alcohol, this should work with sugar). At least for me this is a more promising strategy than trying to address all issues at once.

Quick question for you: why Paleo and not a more moderate diet like Mediterranean?
Old 10-10-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
Sassy,
I think the key is to do one thing at a time (at least that’s what I hope will work for me). I’ve stopped drinking 3 months ago and now, every day at 9pm sharp I get these cravings (though they seem to be less and less pronounced). But it’s not so much that I crave a drink, no, I crave sugar!

So for now I give in and raid the freezer every night (Tiramisu ice cream, yum!), but I’m already drawing up my battle plans to taper off (as opposed to alcohol, this should work with sugar). At least for me this is a more promising strategy than trying to address all issues at once.

Quick question for you: why Paleo and not a more moderate diet like Mediterranean?
I do agree with doing one thing at a time, but some folks seem to be able to maintain weight in sobriety and I struggle to keep weight off, so it's like another battle on top of sobriety. And harder in sobriety, because I can't just drink in place of eating.

I'm still kind of evaluating what to eat. I've done paleo because I feel ill after eating wheat and wheat products, and paleo explores a lot of non-grain eating options.

But I'm realizing how far off from normal eating I am. I read an article last night about a facility for alcoholic women: they serve no sugar in the facility, the admin states "it spikes dopamine, which we want to avoid." Then they teach the women how to eat, again. Female alcoholics are notorious for skipping meals to drink, and after years of that? It's as if we had never learned to eat. Regular, nutritious meals are the focal point of this particular rehab.