Notices

Experiences of Rehab?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Experiences of Rehab?

So I've found myself back in a position where I'm in cycles of drinking, abstaining, drinking more, bizarre eating patterns, self harm, drinking again - all alongside severe anxiety.

I've been through a recovery (community) program before but this time my key worker has said that really a stint in rehab is what I need to tackle the underlying issues surrounding why I misuse substances (behavioural and alcohol). I agree with him, because I can't seem to break the cycles on my own and he's suggested CBT based residential rehab.

I just wondered if anyone had ever been through rehab, and what their experiences were. I really don't know what to expect and have to go for an assessment on Friday. This alone is making me anxious. Whilst I've abstained from alcohol for the past few weeks, I know being under so much pressure is a trigger for me together with travelling alone and the thought of leaving my son and friends behind for at least 6 months.

I really want to break this cycle because it's ruining my life, quite literally and will probably kill me. The fact my addiction itself is psychological in nature (this has been told to me many occasions) makes it difficult because I can go for a long time without drinking, but then something happens and I spiral into months of not even leaving the house etc etc.

Any advice anyone has would be really gratefully received. I don't want to get funding for this and then waste probably my only opportunity to get better.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have not been to rehab myself, but I applaud your decision. I hope you learn more at the assessment and learn a lot while you are there. SR is always here as well, hope you can still communicate with us while you are there.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went through a couple outpatient rehabs, have you tried outpatient? My case worker at the first rehab wanted me to go to residential, but my heart wasn't in it and I didn't go. I made up all kinds of reasons why I couldn't go, but really I just wanted to drink instead - hadn't hit my own bottom yet, and I still had this bizarre notion that I was going to figure it all out, why I drank etc., so I could drink without all the negative consequences. Most of the time, from my experience and what I've seen, what we really need is solid sober time, 6+ months and not a few weeks, to see where we're really at, and that might be the biggest benefit of residential if you make it through, though of course you don't have to go to residential to abstain or learn CBT techniques.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been to quite a few in patient rehabs. They were all good but the last one I went to was what I think saved my life.

Just have an open mind and be teachable. I went through CBT therapy because of my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and it helped A lot.

In the end the choice is yours, but if they are anything in the UK like they are in the states, you'll get out as much as you put in.

Good Luck to you.