Notices

Sudden Shakes & Sadness

Old 08-11-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MTH

Sudden Shakes & Sadness

I had my last drink on Tues morning ( UK, GMT time) but I managed to get through the rest of the day, just about. Then Weds and Thurs I actually had a really good time, just catching up with work and generally being an all-round pleasant person; actually having conversations with my mum, doing housework and finally starting to feel confident again.

But then I woke up today (Fri) and was just overcome with sadness and the obligatory shakes. I actually cried a few tears for no apparent reason. I was toiling with the idea of booze all morning, until I finally made up my mind and caved in. When I walked into the local corner shop my shakes intensified so much I could barely hand money over to the shop keeper.

I guess with it being Friday, i.e. my 'weekend trigger' day, set it off. But I've never experienced it so suddenly like this before.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm right there with ya. I just posted about similar urges, and venting, writing it down, seeing it in print, seemed to take the edge off. I like typing more that writing longhand and it seems that the flow of thoughts & feelings comes easier. Plus God chimed in as well!! So, whatever works for you, each day - each hour - is a chance to start over. Try not to beat yourself up or be dogmatic about it. It happened, we learn from it & hopefully go on. Be kind to yourself. Hugs!
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome LittleBoyBlack

Early recovery is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. It can take time for both mind and body to heal.

As long as we stay sober tho, we;re on the right track - things can and do get better

D
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR LBB, as Dee mentions things can be all over the map both mentally and physically for a while in early sobriety. I'm glad you found us, there is a lot of support and understanding here on SR.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had this in the past too.

Meditation and exercise helped me.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had it too.

I was told to drop to my knees and pray (or meditate) for the strength to ride it out. That worked for me. Oh yeah, and counting while jumping rope also helped when I felt an overwhelming urge to use.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going littleboyblack ?

D
Old 11-10-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Urges

I get them on the days I don't have my kid. These are the days I would normally be drinking and playing pool. I quit on 8/30 so I'm right there with you.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi LBB, from what I’ve read day 4 can be the riskiest day for withdrawal. It takes about 72 hours for your body and brain to clear the alcohol. I typically drank every 3-4 days myself because I knew the liver can clear in that time, still drank myself to oblivion when I did drink....(just adding that it didn’t actually work for me).

I hope you can make another attempt and make sure to keep the stress way, way down in the first week while you adjust. Take care.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MTH

It's been a rocky few weeks. As soon as I start to feel like myself again (outgoing, confident, bubbly) I all too easily slip into the craziness. Doubt tomorrow will be much different, but I know this stupid drunkenness wont last forever.