Notices

Dangerous people in the rooms

Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dangerous people in the rooms - UPDATE

For anyone who is following this story:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ple-rooms.html

Here is an update.

Today at an AA meeting I talked to the quiet guy who was threatened and he told me he didn't do anything to the angry guy to provoke him- he just sat down at a table next to him and the guy went off.

The guy that chaired that meeting where the threat took place was also at today's meeting and he is going to get the angry guy's name and info from his court document that he has to get signed at meetings - and report angry guy to angry guy's probation officer.

The angry guy also showed up at today's meeting but left early after he got his paper signed.

The quiet guy was OK; he said he was going to avoid meetings where the angry guy goes but I told him he shouldn't let that angry guy run him out of the rooms and that we are on his side.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well done Doug.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post

meetings - and report angry guy to angry guy's probation officer.
hope he checks his motive for reporting to the PO.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
nez

Hypothetical ?
If someone shares that they cheated on their spouse, should we contact the spouse?
If someone shares that they relapsed, should we contact DMV?
Etc.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Personally I am quite prepared to see people being angry, emotional and irrational in an AA meeting.

I wonder if this situation would have been better handled if a few sober members confronted the guy at the time, asked him to calm down and reminded him abusive behaviour isn't tolerated at meetings.

P
Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

a little human and humane conduct goes a long way, where's the men who are supposed to be 12 stepping this dude? get back there and sell some hopelessness!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

In 25 years I've been to one or two meetings where a group conscience lead to people being expelled but I know the police are sometimes called if a situation arises. If you see this guy again tell the chairman of the meeting what happened so he can keep an eye out for problems.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

just sad.. that even here we have to watch out for the Beast that roams our streets.. Dear Hearts .. the world is going to hell let this be the small room that is still safe. .ardy.. in wisconsin
Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

actually, ardy, this is something thats been happening since the beginning of AA. back when bill had meetings in his apartment in NY(?), his house got destroyed a time or 3. that was about 70 years ago.

good friend of mine told me stories about not being sure of AA when he got sober back in the early 70's. meetings in downtown detroit didnt have the healthiest of people and many time him and his sponsor were the only ones sober at the meetings. fights broke out every now and then.

but the vast majority of meetings are safe. as of january,2017, there are 61,258 registered meetings in the U.S. alone. if there is a disturbance at a meeting,say 25 times a day at meetings in the U.S.,that would be 0408% of the meetings.
no, it isnt good to see them happen, but it happens.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Steve and all... I went in the 1980's to one meeting and they only met at night.. yep.. it was nuts.. unsafe and strange..in huge letters.. leaving I had to walk a block to the car.. man stepped out of a dark area. tried to reach for me.. give me your bag.. I went into full out and out Wolf mode.. his pal grabbed him and shouted you get all the crazies... cop showed up as they were running off. he looked at me and said steady I am here to help.. my 3rd person stepped out and told him to stay off and keep repeating down softly .. took a couple of minutes and I was back to a human..in lady form... officer became a good friend.. to this day will wonder out loud .. would I have bitten.. oh Mother McCree.. bite .. the kid is part of a training area that I have been in for years... as someone that has worked in Child Protection.. kiddo I have seen it all... as I get older just keep hoping for a better tomorrow.. be safe out there all of you.. the time is getting rougher and rougher to just be a sober person.. ardy