Notices

The Nine Month Blues

Old 08-04-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Nine Month Blues

I hear a lot of talk on this Forum that at certain milestones (3 month, 6, month, 9 month etc.) we tend to have setbacks in our recovery. I never bought into that until now.

I am over 9 months sober (284 days today) and yesterday I started feeling a little off and this morning I really felt off.

I was doing so well; last week I got my 9 month chip at an AA meeting, I have been active in several AA groups, I did well on my Final Exams for the summer classes I took and I was feeling awesome, ambitious and really normal for a change.

Yesterday afternoon I went to see my priest to give confession and after that I started to feel off. This feeling lasted all night and I really was feeling low and depressed when I got up this morning. I went to morning mass and my mind was racing - I then went to an AA meeting and my sponsor even asked me if something was wrong; so my low/odd feelings are visible on the outside.

I know part of my problem is that I am under a lot of pressure from my wife to find a full time job and her active alcoholism (she is still a daily drinker) also stresses me out.

Hope I snap out of this sooner than later.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, 9 months was a tough spot for me.
Actually the first 18-20 months were hard for me. But 9 months is where it really started to hit me.
It's normal. Just hang in there. Don't drink no matter what, there is a light at the end of the tunnel....even if it doesn't seem that way!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Recovery has an ebb and flow and sometimes life's problems will get us down. However, if we remain sober and committed to whatever program we choose to work, then these times of stress only serve to make us stronger. In other words, drinking is NEVER the answer!
Old 08-04-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll feel better today Doug.

The thing about recovery is I can still have bad days - but they stay bad days - they don;t grow into bad weeks months or even years

Sounds to me like you're doing well under some challenging circumstances

D
Old 08-04-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hang on Doug. It will get better as long as you stay sober. Nine months is wonderful!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The book says as we Trudge the road of happy destiny not moonwalk on down.......

Sounds to me like your feeling normal ups and downs of life.

9 months is a long time between drinks, well done.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I actually feel better - I had a phone interview with the owner of an accounting firm that I am trying to get a position at - it went very well and I have a face to face interview scheduled with him for next week.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I empathise Doug. Keep up the meetings. I find they refresh the sober screen. I also NEED a professional to talk to/at. A counsellor who can pick out the common themes in my narrative and offer guidance on what directions I could take. Support to you.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sounds great, Doug! Best of luck with the upcoming interview.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

Keep up the good work Doug! I think that any time one reaches a milestone it brings up a bit of reflection, and maybe even a little apprehension about the future. Just keep doing the next right thing and things will even out. Reading your last post it sounds like they already are.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Give it hell and never give in. Alcohol is no longer there for you. This is life.
I hope you get the job!!
Old 08-06-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Doug,
I read all of your posts mostly because I quit a few days after you did.
I too have had a rough week; wodering about decisions I have made ,being overly remorseful-etc. keep going. What I've experienced thus far is that short,y I'll wonder why I was feeling bad. You're doing great!!
Pook
Old 08-06-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing- I think it is really important that we share our ups and our downs. 99% of the time, most of us have shared the same.

Great job on 9 mo and on the interview opportunity.

For me, there were certain "spots" where i found some irritability (about a week around 4 mo, and mostly for no apparent reason), and indeed, around nine months. That time, I wavered back and forth on being calm and being suddenly and irrationally unreasonable. It passed. At 17+ mo I have only moments or small amounts of time where I'm out of sorts, and I have learned to self-correct MUCH better.

Keep going- it really does get better. See you around here!!
Old 08-06-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

i guess in the first couple years i'd at times get into funks like geeze this is it for me? work the program i got going here to keep me happy and healthy and thats it? *sigh* this is boreing.... course the AV would chime in about then. Othertimes i'd just get into a funk for no apparent reason.

Its tough sometimes you can find a ryme or reason why you feel down sometimes you cant. I suppose its good to no why if you can so you can understand why your down at times and tyr to prevent it.

But its ok to get into a funk but its not ok to stay there I dont think.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Truth be told. Its not easy going down the road.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clem24 View Post
Truth be told. Its not easy going down the road.
but it does get easier as we work for it.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What I learned is that all feelings -- the good and the bad -- pass. And that it's easier to get through something tough by accepting it, asking for help (sponsors and therapists) and, most of all, doing service. Simply going up to a newcomer and asking how they are, giving my phone number, can get me out of the blues. A lot of early sobriety (the first year) is learning how to feel comfortable in our own skin. A big hug!!
Old 08-07-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
What I learned is that all feelings -- the good and the bad -- pass.
Yes you are correct. Everything I was feeling when I posted this 3 days ago is now gone.

It is just that when I am experiencing the low feelings it is sometimes hard to remember it will pass.