Notices

There's finally gonna be 7th day for me :).

Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There's finally gonna be 7th day for me :).

Well, after numerous relapses, i've almost managed to string together 7 days. Currently on the eve of my 6th day, just got home from the shop, did not buy booze, so Ill count my 6th day as successfully completed. Bought some healthy and not-so-healthy snacks (as long its not alcohol its okay at the moment) and getting ready to enjoy todays football (soccer) match sober .

But it has been rather hard day. Cravings were very bad and I've spent half of the day here, on the forums, trying to find reasons not to drink, while my selfish ego fed me 100 reasons why I should. Well, I found many reasons here, not to drink and got through the day! Thank you all!

Isn't it wierd, the inner conflict of an alcoholic- Its like heart says yes while the brain is like no-no.

Last edited by Guyfromthenorth; 07-02-2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-02-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You have finished your first week sober, that's fantastic!

I am posting a link from Dee about recovery plans they really do help. You should join the July if 2017 class, you will be surrounded by others who are choosing g to commit or recommit to sobriety this month.

Also, check in on the 24 hour thread, it's a great way to commit to remaining sober for the next 24 hours, and we have a great group who supports and celebrates.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Glad you are here. You can do this and I promise you sobriety is worth it!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first of a lifetime supply of weeks of sobriety.

Well done.

Stay close.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you have a plan for sobriety, Guyfromthenorth?

A plan could make all the difference in sustained sobriety and recovery.

I'll post a couple of links to some really great threads on that subject.

Be right back
Old 07-02-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As promised:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=Psst
Old 07-02-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The other:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...=Recovery+plan
Old 07-02-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the links Delilah and SoberLeigh . I will surely check them out .

And no, I don't have a plan rather than avoiding people and situations involved with alcohol at the moment.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Soberado

Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
Thank you for the links Delilah and SoberLeigh . I will surely check them out .

And no, I don't have a plan rather than avoiding people and situations involved with alcohol at the moment.
I didn't have a plan either, attended a few AA meetings (not my thing) but found this forum and it helped me to get thinking about how to stay sober. I'm no veteran being sober but after the first week of misery, things started to get a little easier and the searing thoughts of drinking have diminished. I'm roughly ten weeks dry and have no plans to drink again.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congratulations, Guyfromthenorth,

and i'm curious about the 100 reasons you fed yourself for drinking.
reasons? really?

I haven't ever found one real reason, and challenging the idea that there are some, never mind good ones or a hundred...that was helpful to me.

way to go on startingyour second week.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Theres absolutely nothing negative about choosing sobriety.
Congrats on 7 days , you should take the 30 day challenge...
Stick with it....
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
congratulations, Guyfromthenorth,

and i'm curious about the 100 reasons you fed yourself for drinking.
reasons? really?

I haven't ever found one real reason, and challenging the idea that there are some, never mind good ones or a hundred...that was helpful to me.

way to go on startingyour second week.
I might have expressed my self wrong, what I meant was 100 excuses. Like you know- "Its nice weather outside, why not have one?" "The game is about to start in an hour, might as well drive to the store and get a few, only few, ill stop tomorrow, no problem"- That kind of thoughts are really common in my head
Old 07-03-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I might have expressed my self wrong, what I meant was 100 excuses. Like you know- "Its nice weather outside, why not have one?" "The game is about to start in an hour, might as well drive to the store and get a few, only few, ill stop tomorrow, no problem"- That kind of thoughts are really common in my head
I think we all have had or even still have thoughts like that. I freely admit that I still occasionally reminisce about the fun I had at times or "having one beer" on a nice evening. Our minds are wired as addicts and it takes a long time to change that wiring.

What's most important to me is that when I have those thoughts I can now recognize them for what they are - fantasies. I cannot drink "one beer" ever again, and that is a fact proven by failed attempts to do so over and over and over.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think we all have had or even still have thoughts like that. I freely admit that I still occasionally reminisce about the fun I had at times or "having one beer" on a nice evening. Our minds are wired as addicts and it takes a long time to change that wiring.

What's most important to me is that when I have those thoughts I can now recognize them for what they are - fantasies. I cannot drink "one beer" ever again, and that is a fact proven by failed attempts to do so over and over and over.
I have failed too many, many times before. Only now im starting to realize, there is no "one drink" for me.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

yes, i had those excuses too.
and i called out your post because i find that the language and words i use to describe things and actions and thoughts and experiences to myself...well, it matters. a lot.
so it was good for me to examine the stories i told myself, and if i told myself there were all these reasons to drink, it kept being a whole lot more " okay" to keep going.
knowing they were all excuses helped me when i quit. and helped me to look at what was going on for me at te times i thought i had a " reason" to drink.
turns out i ws a person who had a million of excuses for all kinds of things.

sober, i get to have integrity instead of excuses. infinitely better.

keep going, Gftn.