Notices

Observations about non-alcoholics

Old 07-01-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Observations about non-alcoholics

Sober Day # 148 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years
Just came back from a backyard party at my neighbor's. I went alone. There was plenty of wine and beer there.
I drank soda.
I wasn't even tempted to drink alcohol., because my sobriety comes first.
The hosts do not know that I ever had a problem with alcohol, or that I have quit.
I hardly knew anyone there, except for the hosts, and I was aware of how much more uptight I felt, sitting at a table of strangers with no alcohol to loosen me up. But it was only for a couple of hours, and then I went home.
I think that will get easier with time. Learning all over again how to socialize while sober is a small price to pay for the peace I have now.

While I was there, I was sitting at a table with 10 people. There was a small bottle of wine, half full, in the middle of the table when I got there, and 2 hours later, it remained untouched! Everyone else at the table had a glass of wine in front of them, but I didn't see anyone drinking . It seemed surreal to me! When I left, there was still wine in all the glasses!
In the old days, I would have been able to polish off the entire bottle myself in the time I was there.

These ^^^^^ are the people who the articles are talking about when they say "moderate drinking may be good for your heart" -------not us. We are not able to "just have one glass." It is much easier for us to never have any again.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One drink was the worst! Cravings after one drink are far far worse than any cravings I've had while not drinking. Although I would really only stop after one drink if I absolutely had to .

My wife will take a hour to drink a glass of wine. I won't let her have two glasses when we are out anymore, it just takes way too long. Without me drinking we're pouring quite a bit down the drain because it's going bad in the bottle.

Something else that I find odd is that when I was drinking I would not notice that other people are intoxicated, even when i was sober. I've worked in bars for over 20 years so I've been around more than my share of drunk people.

Now that I'm sobered up I notice intoxication all the time. I'll notice a slight buzz in most people now. I can't believe I never noticed before.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'll never understand the "normies" you describe. For us alcoholics, it's a totally foreign concept to just have one or two and be done.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One of the first things I noticed after getting sober was how many people were fine with having only a couple of drinks
Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for them , to drink for me means , if we're drinking , were getting drunk.
I also know few people that have great control of their alcohol, Ive seen them drink but never ever have seen them buzzed or drunk......
Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To flip this idea?

I remember years ago, before I problem drank, I attended a neighborhood party in which the hostess (at about 45) years old did a keg stand while the other neighbor men held her up. In front of her children! I was embarrassed for her. She then proceeded to flagrantly hit on my then husband for the rest of the evening. (That was a regular thing, so no real shock) Later in the evening one of my closest friends' husband, who was the neighborhood lush, leaned in and asked me if he could ask me a personal question. I said "I guess"...I won't even mention what he asked but let's just say it was way too personal. That ended up in an elderly couple leaving the party in utter disgust and my then husband in his drunken state attempting to punch the guy in the face only to end up erroneously & accidentally hitting a woman standing next to him.
I was afraid to leave my house for a week for fear of seeing anyone.
Watching people get drunk whilest sober is quite a sight!!
J
PS: my friend and her husband only months before were at my home for Christmas Eve dinner and her drunken husband decided to relieve himself outside by the pool rather than use any of the 4 full bathrooms in our house! That was really special.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daucuscarota View Post
I was aware of how much more uptight I felt, sitting at a table of strangers with no alcohol to loosen me up. But it was only for a couple of hours, and then I went home.
I think that will get easier with time. Learning all over again how to socialize while sober is a small price to pay for the peace I have now.
In my early years of drinking I needed liquor to be social. But in the later stages of my alcoholism I was always so plowed at social gatherings that I had a hard time conversing, comprehending people and stringing together a few sentences - and most of the time I was slurring my words. The next day I would feel shame and worry about what an idiot I made of myself.

Now that I am sober I have the confidence to be able to carry a conversation and I can listen and talk and make sense.