Notices

Staying sober

Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying sober

Hello everybody, had been sober for almost 2 months and I relapsed again, how horrible this is, because I always end up on a binge.

It's been non stop for 5 days now, and my last drink was like 5 hours ago, I just need support to pull myself out of this mess.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and congratulations on your decision to stay sober! I do the same thing when I drink... One drink and suddenly I'm on a days long bender. Horrible. But hey, you never have to relapse again! Have you made a plan? AA or another group support network? Also, do you think you need professional help to detox? If you've been binging for 5 days straight, you might want to consider it. Not everyone needs it, but a lot of people do - and alcohol withdrawal can be fatal.

Keep posting on here and most of all, keep your head high. You've made a great step forward - keep it up!!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, all I know is that I'm not drinking! Screw that, I know exactly where that's going to take me( I've been there so many times), and it sucks bad.

I have medication from my doctor to get me through withdraws, which I don't really like taking straight from a binge, as i tend to get weird vivid dreams the first few days, but whatever it sure beats continuing on a freaking binge.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tons of support here mtphc -Welcome back

I'm glad you saw a doctor - have you thought any on how you'll stay sober longer term?

D
Old 06-21-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Soberado

I'm new at this sober thing too but what has helped me during my two months is recognizing and dealing with the triggers that kept me drinking. I am learning to deal with life differently by focusing on the positive stuff. What I found on this forum is that people here would rather light a candle than curse your darkness and do care.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mtphc View Post
Thank you, all I know is that I'm not drinking! Screw that, I know exactly where that's going to take me( I've been there so many times), and it sucks bad.
you ve been there so many times.
nothing changes if nothing changes.
do you want to go back there again? if no, then start changing. get a plan/program in action ASAP.
did you do anything over just puttin the plug in th ejug that helped ya get 2 months sober?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Personal experience:
When this happened to me and I couldn't stop drinking, I called myself an ambulance. Told them I was suicidal when binge drinking (true for the most part), and I was put on a mental health hold for 72 hours. Not all that bad.

When I was discharged, they set me up with all the resources I am now using to stay sober. Going on day 10 tomorrow.

1 on 1 therapy, group classes, a primary care doctor, medications (for me, Antabuse), SR, and meetings.

It's worth going through a few days of hell, but it's leaps and bounds more effective if you get help right away.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Tons of support here mtphc -Welcome back

I'm glad you saw a doctor - have you thought any on how you'll stay sober longer term?

D
Thanks dee for your response and everybody else. I am trying a new thing now by going to the gym, aside from AA, I do believe this will make a big difference. I am hoping for the best that's all I can say for now
Old 06-24-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

..but my cravings come and go, and I have this issue where I believe it's ok to "treat myself" sometimes, and I can't get over this periodic temptation.

Once I start drinking i just keep on going, it almost feels like the vodka doesn't do anything, it's crazy, but anyway I'm starting anew again and that's all that matters right is staying sober
Old 06-24-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think AA and the gym is a good start -but maybe you need to work on this idea of treating yourself - drinking's not a treat...you know it's not...

Maybe you can put some strategies in place to help you get over those thoughts - remembering why you want to quit in the first place , re-reading old threads to help you remember how it really was, thinking of other more positive, healthier rewards?

How many times a week are you considering going to AA, versus going to the gym, say?

D
Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks again Dee, yeah it's not going to be easy, this last relapse was bad, I'm still recovering from it, tried to taper with liquor, but didn't work, so kind of had no choice but to use the medication that the doctor prescribed me, and I'm doing better now, thankfully.

Been talking to my sponsor lately, and all I know is that I have to get serious about the steps, I really do. I don't want to relapse again
Old 07-03-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you are making some good progress Mtphc, that's great to hear.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

You don't have to relapse again. You have options. Come here and post when you feel like drinking. You will find lots of support to carry you through.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mtpch,

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you went to the doctor to help you with the withdrawals. I hope the medicine is helping, and doesn't cause too many bad dreams.

I have had many day ones, and finally was able to get sober with the help of this website. Spend some time reading and posting. Two good threads are the monthly classes, you can join the class of July 2017, and will have the support of others who have committed or recommitted to sobriety this month. Also, the 24 hour thread is a great place to check in each day, and get support when your struggling, as well as a place to celebrate your successes.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back! Dust yourself off pickyourself up, get back in the saddle!!

I've been there more than I'd like to mention. Never give up! Ask for help when you need it!! We've all been there and want to help!! Take care of yourself, friend!! Wishing you the best! Don't beat yourself up, we're not saints! I believe in progress not perfection!! Keep trudging forward!!

Get a plan together and executing the plan!! You can do this!! Stay close, read and share with the group!! We're pulling for you!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies, it really does help. Yeah like I mentioned earlier I want to start really focusing on the steps, because doing this on my own hasn't been working, a month or two passes and there I go again back to the drinking, and as always the bad outcome that follows.

I really feel like this is my last chance, there's only so much my family could take. Just recently my wife found a bottle in my car where i go out and sneak drink and of course she was really upset and i had to deal with it, but I'm kind of happy that happend because it really opened my eyes, otherwise i would have kept on going for who knows how long, and this is what got me to the doctor.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Some folks get sober by going "to" AA. Alcoholics of my type only seem to recover when we "join" AA. By that I mean join in the action on the steps, start living the program. Pretty soon we have quite a lot in common with others who are living in the solution. Loneliness vanishes, and a real sense of purpose and satisfaction begins to be felt in our lives. And of course, drinking will become redundant in the face of a far better solution.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Some folks get sober by going "to" AA. Alcoholics of my type only seem to recover when we "join" AA. By that I mean join in the action on the steps, start living the program. Pretty soon we have quite a lot in common with others who are living in the solution. Loneliness vanishes, and a real sense of purpose and satisfaction begins to be felt in our lives. And of course, drinking will become redundant in the face of a far better solution.
^^^^This. Me, too.

Indeed, by working the steps and developing a living program of action, my problem has in fact been removed. Daily effort into my program is the norm now.

You say you want to get serious about the steps- you have sponsor, so go for it! I know that for me, I didn't know what would happen when I quit drinking but I knew I had to choose between an unknown future and a certain death by drinking.

I hope you take this chance- we don't get unlimited ones.