Notices

Relapsed again...

Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Relapsed again...

Relapsed over the weekend and ended up in the E.D. git released but decided I really want to go to rehab or at least intensive outpatient program. Any one have any advise?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry to read this, Vinificent.

I would vote for rehab. Many do not have the luxury of that option; go for it if you can!!!!!

And please stay close to us.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Sorry to hear about your situation. It is great that you are seeking treatment. That is a wonderful step! Keep reaching out for help. There is alot out there. You just need to find what is best for you.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that as well, Vin. You are dealing with it correctly though by picking yourself up and getting help. I'm with Leigh, that if your insurance or finances allow you to go to rehab that I would definitely go. Hang in there and best wishes!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry but so glad you came right back! I am so afraid that I wouldn't be able to do that if it happened to me!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vin,
Been there a thousand times! Sorry to hear. I would go to rehab if possible.
Everytime I think of drinking, I think of how I do not want to go to Rehab EVER again. I fell off 10 days after getting out of rehab (2 weeks ago) ended up in ER and came out and started really, truly, & *honestly working the AA program. I WANT what they have. Good luck.
J
Old 05-15-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear.
Rehab worked for me...but only because I needed to be locked up so I could stay away from the booze for a while and clear my head. It definitely was not the solution...for me, the solution was, and is, intensive 12 step work.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Was it a snap decision to drink ? Or planned or sort of planned ?

Years ago I was quit for months, and then just out of nowhere 1 night it reminded me of getting ready for a party as a teen, and I went drinking. And then started again on a regular basis for at least months, IDK
Old 05-15-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WW2gamer View Post
Was it a snap decision to drink ? Or planned or sort of planned ?

Years ago I was quit for months, and then just out of nowhere 1 night it reminded me of getting ready for a party as a teen, and I went drinking. And then started again on a regular basis for at least months, IDK
So it wasn't really planned but I did go to the bottle shop "in case we have guests" (yeah that demon AV) so you know the first opportunity I got to crack into the stash I did...then went so hard I passed out and cracked my head on a marble table, thus the trip to the ED. In the ED I just came right put and said I am an alcoholic and I want to go to rehab. A really nice woman gave me alot of info and told me to start calling 3 numberS and go where they will take you first. So I am going in 8:15 tomorrow morning. And I definitely won't be drinking tonight so I can be on time !
Old 05-15-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was put in rehab by court order. It wasn't the solution, but it did introduce me to the solution which I eventually picked up.

The thing about rehab is they can help clear the ground a bit, deal with a few issues, get you physically in better shape, and maybe eve set you up to stay sober, but they cant fix you, and they cant keep you sober.

That is at odds with the usual expectation of a vists to the doctor or a hospital, that you will come out cured.

The only way to benefit form rehab is to give it everything, and that is going to be really uncomfortable in the therapy sessions, and follow their suggestions about what to do after you leave.

It will be much more about what you are willing to do, than what the rehab can do for you, in the long run. If you have any reservations, you are probably throwing money away. I have met people who have been to multiple rehabs and never get well. There common theme is they reject advice about what to do after.

I think it is great of you have the oppotunity to go, but try to remember, the result is going to depend mainly on you. If you are going expecting a miracle cure, you are probably wasting your money.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
That is at odds with the usual expectation of a vists to the doctor or a hospital, that you will come out cured.
I had family members who thought this very thing when I was released from the hospital. While I didn't fully understand 12 step programs at the time, I fully understood I was by no means cured.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think whatever it takes, Vin?

D
Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Occh for hitting the marble. a Few years ago I passed out on the street somewhere and woke up in the drunk tank. There was a girl I had a crush on, I hope I passed out no where near her or her circle, but I never found out.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think whatever it takes, Vin?

D
Yep - this my mantra this time around. Need to treat this like a death - I cannot touch alcohol any more at all and need to do whatever it takes to mourn the loss and move on.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Vin, how is it going??
Hope well.
J
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

do it!!!! Do not drink- put into place support. Meetings, counsellor, distractions, HALTS, 'whatever it takes' Good one- in fact..AWESOME!!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
Hey Vin, how is it going??
Hope well.
J
Going well thanks! If anything is coming out of this it's that I have been in sessions with people who are battling not only a plethora of addictions but also legal and family issues that one can't even imagine unless you are right in the room with them as they tell their story. I am FINALLY starting to feel real gratitude for what I have (vs. emptiness for what I do not)...this is something that was missing from my previous attempts. It's only been two days but I am already experiencing a change. Thank you all for the support
Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you're back in the saddle! Are you involved with a group program?? Check it out and I hope you get involved! There's several to choose from, I couldn't do it alone!! The Face to face interaction you get in a program is a very powerful!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Relapsed too. This time I have finally figured out that is self sabotage because the self hatred that has been laying low came surging forth.I will not drink today. Thank you for listening.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
Glad you're back in the saddle! Are you involved with a group program?? Check it out and I hope you get involved! There's several to choose from, I couldn't do it alone!! The Face to face interaction you get in a program is a very powerful!
Thanks Dave and yes - the IOP is daily for two solid weeks, then there is a weekly group meeting. I also plan to attend AA meetings in between. I found a group I really like and it's an actual recovery club so there are meetings at that location every day.