Notices

It sucks getting older....

Old 05-12-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It sucks getting older....

It's cold and rainy today. Boy did I feel it in my bones all day. When I was 30 I was in a really bad accident and broke my back, hip, tore up my knees and broke both my feet along with my left elbow.

I felt every single injury today...14 years later arthritis has set in and it hurts to walk.

It feels like someone stomped on my bare feet with boots. My back and hip feel like there's broken glass in there instead of cartilage. My knees are sore and it feels like I slammed my funny bone.
It's rare that I miss being numb, but today.....i miss it.

I was going to go to the mall in a bit, but I think I'll stay home instead.
I hate getting old.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

it is very hard getting old. My mind is very foggy and I can't lift things very well. But I am looking forward to continued sobriety and some time left to really be with my family and be awake.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try mindful meditative breathing stuff. It helps me a little
Old 05-12-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting old is not for sissies.

Is there a better forecast for tomorrow? Would a warmer and drier climate help you?
Old 05-12-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear what your going through. Sounds real tough. Yeah, getting older hard to deal with. Not that I'm comparing myself to your situation, but I wake up with a lot more aches than I used to. Takes longer to get my motor going. Seems to be a lot easier to pull a muscle or sprain something. I still spend time at the gym, but am real happy that when I get home, I have ice-packs in the fridge for sore muscles and pain in my knees.
Then there's brain fog. Forgetting where I put stuff. Finding stuff in places where they don't belong. My memory is shot.
But on the bright side, not much bothers me anymore. Most things that drove me nuts years ago seems like small stuff now. I'm not as tightly wound as I used to be. I appreciate each day more than I used to. I value interactions with people more. Don't take it for granted as much as I used to. I'm not so demanding or hard on myself as I was when I was younger. I'm much more ok being me. I guess it's just a trade off. John
Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So well said 2muchpain.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Getting old is not for sissies.

Is there a better forecast for tomorrow? Would a warmer and drier climate help you?
It's supposed to be like this until Sunday. My bones feel better out west. Like Arizona west. Unfortunately, my wife is US government and she doesn't want to retire for another 3-5 years.

On a positive note, both our parents are still alive and here. My wife's parents built a house here to be near their grand daughter. So I think we're here for the long haul.

I just took a long nap. and feel a bit better. I'm just gonna take it slow this weekend....No climbing Mt. Kilimanjiro for me. hahaha

thanks for listening.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I complain about getting older too, but every morning I wake up grateful to be "on the right side of the grass".
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BullDog, in some ways we are lucky. We have been through the aches and pains of life and have survived. Many have not.
In some ways, it's pretty cool getting old. I don't care if I don't shave for several days. I'm not that concerned if I don't wear a shirt and shorts that match. I can sit at home tomorrow and not do anything and not feel guilty about it. This stuff is like gold to me and it just goes on and on.
Today, I drove to work and actually took time to look at the beautiful scenery and listened to some funny stuff on the radio, and ended up with a lousy day at work, but was able to go home to a quiet place and kick back. Now on line looking for a nice weekend trip. Now how cool is that. At 67 years old, I wouldn't change places with anyone. I have enough money to pay my bills and occasionally take a short trip. That's enough for me. Quality not quantity.
I can relate to what your going through man, but it could always be worse.
Were not dead yet man. Lots of life in us old guys. Hope to visit Virginia some day. John
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
BullDog, in some ways we are lucky. We have been through the aches and pains of life and have survived. Many have not.
In some ways, it's pretty cool getting old. I don't care if I don't shave for several days. I'm not that concerned if I don't wear a shirt and shorts that match. I can sit at home tomorrow and not do anything and not feel guilty about it. This stuff is like gold to me and it just goes on and on.
Today, I drove to work and actually took time to look at the beautiful scenery and listened to some funny stuff on the radio, and ended up with a lousy day at work, but was able to go home to a quiet place and kick back. Now on line looking for a nice weekend trip. Now how cool is that. At 67 years old, I wouldn't change places with anyone. I have enough money to pay my bills and occasionally take a short trip. That's enough for me. Quality not quantity.
I can relate to what your going through man, but it could always be worse.
Were not dead yet man. Lots of life in us old guys. Hope to visit Virginia some day. John
Great post John, thanks.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the thing that really pisses me off with oldie + injury + pain is always feeling tired. Doing 'normie' stuff becomes a marathon some days. Warm sun is a blessing. Empathy and support to you- go eat chocolate.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One thing that I began doing a couple years back and do on a regular basis today is epsom salts baths. I buy the "post-workout" Dr. Teals brand from WM and it is fantastic. It has real eucalyptus/peppermint oil in it. I will usually add some sea salt and baking soda to the water as well. It really soothes the muscles and joints, plus relaxes the hell out of you.

I put the laptop on the toilet seat and watch Netflix, or have a stack of Reader's Digests from my parents house to make the time go by.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

If I wouldn't have gotten sober when I did, I'd probably be dead by now, so growing old doesn't seem so bad.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We all have one body, one mind and one
soul to take care of in the best possible,
heathiest way we can.

I also had a bad accident when I was 30 yrs
old due to my drinking, spending 10 days in
the hospital with numerous contusions, broken
bones, ribs, a punctured lung where they
had to drain, a punctured spleen that was
removed, a chin that was sewn back on.

Yes, I was a mess and will never forget